RX-V1600 On Screen Display quit working

Username: Ecarlson

Plainfield, Il USA

Post Number: 1
I have a newbie question. I have a Yamaha RX-V1600 that has an on-screen display that is helpful when switching between Surround Sound Modes and other stuff.
To get this to function I had to connect a single video cable from the monitor out to input 1 on my Pioneer Plasma. Everything else is feed through the HDMI out from the receiver. The on-screen display overlayed on to whatever was displayed on the HDMI output, which is being feed, into Input 3 on the plasma (even though the on-screen is connected through input 1 of TV)

Here's the problem....when comcast came and set the HD DVR up it defaulted to 480i (i think) and everything worked fine, but the HDTV picture was less than spectacular. Then they came back and set the comcast box to 1080i to better display the HDTV. When they set it to 1080i the on screen display quit working. Can someone try to help me understand this? I don't understand the 480i, 480p, 1080i mode thing yet. Is there a way to make it work again?
Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 218
there is a button under the right arrow button.

Plainfield, Il USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks...but that is the same button that I used when it WAS working and is now the button that DOESN'T work.
I think you have a Yamaha. How do you have yours cabled or configured?

Plainfield, Il USA

Post Number: 5
Cuylar?.....Are you out there?.....Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 226
Sorry for disappearing like that. Here's the deal. That Yamaha remote is kinda tricky. The switch on the right needs to be set to "Receiver" mode. Use the menu button to go to the menu. Use the "on screen" button to turn that on or off. The video mode makes no difference. 480/720/1080 it makes no difference.

Plainfield, Il USA

Post Number: 7
I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Username: Dirtsurf

Post Number: 1
hey,
That amp only displays certain on-screen display functions when you are displaying analog signals, which means they hooked it up right(hd). Thats just the way that amp is, read the notes on page 89 of the manual.
your set-up displays should still be there.

Username: Neilk2350

New york, NY United States

Post Number: 4
wait a second. you are saying that your pioneer was mixing both the video one input and the hdmi to give you onscreen? or that you had to switch to video 1 to see both. as i understand it the 2600 sends the gui via hdmi but the 1600 doesn't.

i cant get my hdmi and 8300 hd to sync up so i may try your method (i have a 2600 and 4600) so that i can adjust sound while seeing the picture. but it would be an analogue overlay not in HD

Plainfield, Il USA

Post Number: 9
Thanks Neil. I spoke to Tweeter and they confirmed your thoughts. This is an important feature to me. Tweeter gladly traded me up to the 2600 for $175 more.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us