Criss-crossing positives and negatives on speaker wires?

Reyz
Unregistered guest
Moved into a new place that has wall speaker jacks for rear surrond sound speakers. I replaced just the cheaper wall plate and jacks and connected better quality ones with the wire that was already in the wall. The wire is generic and the gauge is decent, but i can't tell what line is positive and what's negative. I'm not sure the contractor cared either cause of the poor soldering job done on the previous jacks. I wanted to rerun the line but it would be too difficult. All that being said, what are some problems that might occur with criss-crossing the negative and positive wires when connecting the rear speakers and is there a way to know which is positive and which is negative before connecting the wallplate jack.

Reyz
Unregistered guest
Oh... and by "can't tell what line is positive and what's negative", I mean the wire covering is not marked or color coded.

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 163
Time to take out the good 'ol multimeter

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 511
Yes I concur. If you cross the wires you will, at best, send your receiver into a protection mode and at worst damage the speakers.

Get the meter and be sure.

This is strange. So if you strip the wires one is not copper and one silver color? Did he even used speaker wires?

Reyz
Unregistered guest
Yea, they look like speaker wire. Both positive and negative wires are copper color. Guess I'm going to the hardware store. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 253
Actually, crossing the wires will more likely result in receiver damage if it cannot react fast enough in activating the protection mode in the even of a short.

As for copper wires, it's possible that the person who installed them used multi-strand electrical wire.

Another thing that could be done to determine polarity is to run DC power from a battery on the cable (of course, after the cables are disconnected from the receiver and speakers and if the cables are not shorted).

On one end, hook one wire to the positive and the other on the negative. Mark the wires at that end, one black for negative and the other red for positive.

On the other end of the wiring, use a multimeter set to read voltage in DC and probe the ends. According to what the meter reads, mark those ends according to their polarity. - Reinhart

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 254
Upon further reading, you mean "criss-cross" as reverse polarity as opposed to a short.

Reverse polarity won't cause damage to your equipment. But, it will cause phase problems which will affect your fidelity.

My previous post should still be able to help you in establishing the positive and negative ends of the wiring. - Reinhart

Reyz
Unregistered guest
Thanks alot for the great information! Very much appreciative!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us