Please compare my current setup to a HTIB..what would sound better?

Username: Lithnights

Post Number: 1
Hello all,
First off, great site and great advice from what I have read so far here.

I am a newbie here although I have had a entry level home theatre setup for the past 10 years. I use it for DVD watching (75% of time) as well as CD and radio listening (25%).

It is currently...
Kenwood Dolby Pro Logic 7060 receiver (bought in 1996.. not dolby digital)
Infinity CC-2 center channel
Bose 301s as fronts
Small basic speakers as rears
A/R S108 subwoofer

The setup has suited me fine except now I want Dolby Digital. Thus my questions are...

1) Do I just replace the receiver (looking at Pioneer 815 or 1015 or similar one around $400) or do I buy a home theatre in a box (e.g. Onkyo HTS780)?

2) Is the fact that I am using different brands as my speakers a bad thing?

3) Would a HTIB similar to the Onkyo really sound better than a new receiver and my current 301s? I can't imagine a $500 HTIB would sound as good especially when just the speakers alone in my current system cost $300. I can't imagine blasting my CDs through some of those speakers that come in the HTIB like I do with my 301s...

Thanks in advance!

Unregistered guest
Hello, OK wher do I start 1st get rid of the 301s (not in the garbage, but another room)only cause you paid to much for them. Then just buy the Onkyo HTS780. So that means replace the whole thing. You're better off mainly cause everything will match. Also its the reciever that makes speakers as good as they can be(just like an engine in a car, you wouldnt want to drive a 4cyl Corvette now would ya). So with that the speakers are a perfect match with the reciever so blast all you want(any speaker can blow [301s] just depends on if you have the right reciever)

The HTS780-
is really easy to install(hookup)
config (program)
you get so much for so little
(THE PRICE IS AWSOME)
the sound quality is great

just so you know the reciever that comes with that system is $300 by itself (the Onkyo TXSR503)
and the speaker package ussually sells for around $300 somthing

O yeah i didnt forget about the 301s thers a B channel on the Reciever so you can put those in another room and enjoy the CRAP out of them all by therselfs(so they dont get jealous)

I tried to keep it short and simple so any question just post it.

I design
Custom Home Theaters-
install, sell and program
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us