Would any of u mind giving some advice for HT for this awkard space?

Username: Darkestfuryan

S-Field, Virginia USA

Post Number: 1
Hello, my mother and i are getting ready to move into a new (well new to us) town home. Its a really big and wonderfull home in the old colonial style. The basement has already been assigned by my mother and i as out new home theater. However there are a few drawbacks. The basement area is a 27x10 space, Basically its a very large rectangle. I have only ever had our "home theater" (a samsung all in one home theater in a box, more on the good and bad of that system later) in a room that was a sqaure. I know that it would be reletivly easy to setup a home theater in a room with a retangular shape however, here is the problem, at one end of the room is a set of closets, and at the other a fireplace. What would be the best solution of floor placement for this area? My Mother would very much like to invest in a 50 ince plasma HDTV and so would I. now on to our current home theater. When i was 15, not to long ago, i got my very first job. I was very into movies and still am, so i decided to invest in a home theater system. I had no idea what i was getting into, and being a a kid with a few coins in his pocket i did no research and went to best buy and bought a samsung all in one. might i stress the all in one. its both 5 disk player and receiver in one. I hate that. not its a little old and starting to break down (i'll be honest it's time to put the old thing out to pasture) So now i im looking at trying to create a true home theater system. As with the main topic, could any of you give me some advice on a good Stand alone reciever and speakers. I was looking at two manufacture's for the reciever but dont know who or what to choose: Denon and Yamaha. Also i would really love some good sturdy yet powerfull floor standing speakers. thanks for listning.

oh yeah, a while back the best buy in my town recently added magnolia to the store. My best friend and i went and heard a vienna acoustic system (i dont remember which one) IT SOUNDED AWSOME! i was wondering what your opinion was on them. I have no intention of buying a system from them (The price tag on it almost made me faint) i was just curios to know what you thought.

p.s. Sorry if this was a really long read!

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 436
The shape of the room should not be a big a problem. You can place your speakers around and see what makes sense. As far as equipment is concerned, you need to figure out a budget with you mom and then people here can give you some ideas.

S-Field, Virginia USA

Post Number: 3
oh the budget is between 2-2500$

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6538

The shape of the room may not be a problem, but the dimension certainly will be. 27' X 10'? And of course, I can only assume you mean the fireplace and the closet are at the small ends. If you are thinking of placing the equipment and TV on the long wall, a 50" set is very likely to get overwhelming when viewed from that distance. Most especially so when watching "regular" TV broadcasts. If this is the plan, you should spend some time watching the set you choose from that distance before making the purchase. Watching a digital broadcast is even going to change how enjoyable the experience will be compared to a, once again, "regular", off air or cable transmission. Most of the cable broadcasts I've seen would be totally unwatchable on a 50" screen from such a short viewing distance.

The 10' depth would be a problem regarding speaker placement. Surround speakers will perform much better when they have a bit more room to open up the sound. But, this is not a horrible proposition. I would see the problem more as one of what do you do with the front speakers. In walls? They're OK but not great and require more installation. Something basements normally don't allow with ease. Most box speakers are not going to enjoy being placed with their backs against the wall. They will sound boomy and thick. That means they should be 18" or more out into the room, further compressing the soundstage. And, can three speakers sit out, away from the wall permanently in a 10' depth? Or, will they have to be moved each time you listen? The listening chairs will have to be against the rear wall which causes problems of the immediate reflections off the back wall causing listening fatigue. This would require some wall treatment and a bit of distance away from the wall for the chairs. That further compresses the soundstage. I see some real problems with placing the system on the long wall.

If you decide to put the system on the short wall, I would typically suggest placing the system on the wall with the closet and using the closet for either equipment storage or as a bass chamber for an infinite baffle subwoofer. The problem with the short wall will be, once again, speaker placement. Either you will have to truncate the distance between the front array or you will have problems with reflections off the side walls if the speakers are placed the usual 7-8 feet apart. This will probably require some room treatment devices to smooth the sound in this space. Damping the first reflection points with some acoustic diffusion/absorption panels would greatly enhance the audibility of the system and, hence, the enjoyment of the system. After that is accomplished, it becomes a matter of whether the rear speakers can be placed in a suitable location. That I can't tell you.

With either location for the system, you face challenges in this room. If at all possible, a different room would probably be the wisest choice.

S-Field, Virginia USA

Post Number: 4
Jan thank you so much for your input it was very helpful. I was thinking of putting the screen in front of the closet (the short wall) and using the closets as storage space for the equipment. Naturally since the room is so long i think i may be able to afford allowing space for the doors to open. However since the house has so much storage place already i was thinking that i could put something in front of the closet doors to make it blend in and look like a natural wall.does that sound good? Concerning the speakers, the walls in the basement are wood panal's, and i think the only speakers that i would want to mount would be the rear's, however from your post it seemed that you found a problem with mounting them in the type of space. i was wondering if you could give me a little more detail with that. also from your post you said that the walls have a to' depth. i couldnt quite figure out what you meant and thought that you were referring to the demensions of the room which is , 27 feet long and 10 feet wide.

thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6545

BAsements normally have a difficult time mounting in wall speakers. If the speakers are stand mounted or wall mounted, then it is merely a matter of the obstructions you encounter running speaker cable. I don't see "to'" in my post, but, yes, I was probably referring to the dimensions.

http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/index.htm

Username: Blaronn

KS

Post Number: 2
As an alternative, in a rectangular room like this, would placing the TV in a corner be a viable solution?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us