What is going to happen if...

Username: Foerama

Post Number: 2
What is going to happen if I use a smaller speaker (e.g. 15 watt) when the output from the receiver is 75 watt? Is it going to explode? Or is it still working fine?

Bronze Member
Username: Mango_joe

Orlando, Florida Usa

Post Number: 30
possible themonuclear explosion

Reinhart
Unregistered guest
It will work as long as you keep the volume really low. Perhaps, lower than what would be desired.

If you use them under normal listening volume, the diaphragm may burn out or possibly even catch fire. It certainly won't explode ;-), but it may fail from being overloaded.

What kind of speaker are we talking about here? An actual speaker in a cabinet or an individual driver? - Reinhart

Username: Foerama

Post Number: 3
I used to have a 5.1 home theater set with a total output of 105 (5 @15 watt, and 30 watt subwoofer). Now I bought a receiver with a total output of 290 watt (3 @75, 2 @30, and a subwoofer). I was wondering if I can use the same speakers set for the new receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 35
It doesn't matter too much, first off unless you are using a high quality receiver it won't put out that 75 watts that it says it will.

How effecient are your speakers. Under normal listening you are most likely using under 1 watt of power. Plus it's better to have too much power than not enough.

Reinhart
Unregistered guest
Unfortunately, as Paul S has said, most receivers do have overly inflated wattage numbers. This is of particular problem with mainstream electronics marketed towards the entry level segment. There are precious few manufacturers that truly state wattage numbers for their products.

For instance, take a low end Harman/Kardon and compare it to a low end Sony. The HK may be rated at about 55 or 65 watts per channel while the Sony will be marketed at 90 or 100 watts per channel, all usually at 8 ohms (although some are doing wattage numbers at 6 ohms, which can be deceptive).

People will think that the Sony is better because of the higher numbers. But, HK usually rates wattage rather conservatively, so their receiver may actually put out 65 watts and possibly more. Sony, on the other hand, tends to overinflate wattage numbers for marketing purposes on their DE series receivers, so their product will never realistically put out 90 watts and would actually be the same as the low end HK.

Off topic, if you ever needed an entry level receiver, don't bother with Sony's DE line. But, in defense of them, their DB and DA (ES) series are actually pretty good and are worth consideration if you are able to swing the extra cash.

So, if you need to get an entry level receiver, always be suspicious of high wattage ratings. And, remember that the max wattage are typically numbers reflecting maximum output of one channel only. Real world usage will likely never reach those maximums on all channels as the primary power supply would likely not be able to service all channels at max power. The thing will likely reach clipping (VERY bad for your speakers) or go into PROTECT mode if you tried. - Reinhart

Username: Nirom

Irwin, PA. USA

Post Number: 1
Adding Stero loud speakers to a Home theatre sys.

I want to add 2-Denmark stereo loud speakers to a Sony HTS- Ht-DDW665. It is a 5.1 sys. 55watts per channel/6 ohm loads both channels driven. I am assuming that I cannot do this. Unless I buy a reciever. If so How do i incorporate this into the sys. Any suggestions.

Username: Nirom

Irwin, PA. USA

Post Number: 2
Ok People
I'll answer my own dumb post. I disconnected the two rear speakers from my HTS and connected my two loud speakers. It works! I really have found out on my own, what I need to do. That is. Save some money and buy a better sys. I really did not have the money for a better sys. I came across the loud speakers for free. Which do not sound too bad. They reproduce the sound much better for symphony vs. rock. I am impressed with Onkyo or Denon. For a few hundred dollars I guess it's worth it. trouble is I just bought the Sony months ago.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us