HELP PLEASE - VIDEO AND AUDIO SWITCHING DELAYS...

Username: Holograman2

Post Number: 4
I just posted my first 'thread' today and was blessed with several helpful responses. I hope that it is correct to create this new 'thread' rather than add to the first - if not please do not hesitate to advise me and forgive my mis-use of this board as I very much appreciate the help! My question is similar but enough different that I think it deserves it's own topic. I have searched the messages on hdmi switching and found seriously few pertanent posts. The one I found that is of major concern states that there can be synch-issues if a receiver takes longer to process a video signal than audie causing the sound to be 'out of synch' with the picture. I have noted this on systems and found it UNNACEPTABLY DISTURBING (as some might find my terrible spelling but I cannof rind a spell check here!). The same post stated that some receivers allow the user to tune (specify) the delay of audio or video in order to synch them. I cannot find anything in the specs of the Denon 3806 I am thinking to purchase nor have I found one on display locally to try to find out either if it may cause an out of synch signal or if it has a built in solution for same if problematic. I do not want to spend a G-Note and find I cannot use the video switching through the receiver as it is the very reason I would spend such money for it in the first place! Anyone with specifica knowledge of the Denon 3806 who can tell me if the problem exists and if so (or potentially so) if it has the technology to correct it by user tuning? Thank you!

Post Number: 5
This may be unprecedented, but I am going to answer my own question here in case anyone actually cares (as there have been no replies, my guess is no but what the hey!). Upon further research both on forums and the Denon site, I found to my dismal that, in fact, the new 3806 not only does NOT have any ability to handle the "lip synch effect" (time-scaling for delays between audio and video signals I think it is called), but it also does NOT convert analog video signals to dvi/hdmi (as the "expert" in my local Tweeter Etc. told me it did!). For these reasons, even though it is likely a superior sounding unit, I am likely to go with the Yamaha whose new RX-V2600 (about the same price) does all of these things and seemingly many more, HOPEFULLY with near as clean and qualilty sound. The RX-V1600 is almost there for up to a few hundred less, but I do not believe it has the analog to video conversion. I have yet to read anything about the video scaling and 'upcoverting' this receiver does and if it can get in the way of the great signal decoding of the panasonic 50pdth8uk I plan to use as a monitor, but hopefully before my purcahse, someone will be able to answer these more in-depth questions. The worst thing would be to get a great receiver with HDMI switching and video signal interlacing and then have a lower quality picture than if I just went direct... but again the idea here is to do all video and audio switching in one box with a single "change order" rather than needing complex user opperations or macro remotes that function correctly some of the time. (doesn't everyone see this as the very easy low cost to the mannufacturer wave of the future that is now sold as a pricey option for high end users?)

Paul98
Unregistered guest
which analog connections are you talking about?

Paul98
Unregistered guest
If you want more responses from people who actually know what they are talking about you should head over to www.avsforum.com and www.hometheaterforum.com.

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 56
I disagree with you about the Yamaha sounding worse than the Denon. I think it's the other way around. Now that's tough to substantiate but for what it's worth, Yamaha has smaller total harmonic distortion (THD).

Post Number: 7
Paul - thank you again for your excellent responses, especially that last one as I was wondering if this were the best place to be seeking this particular advice. I will try to cary my questions there as well. Your thoughts have been well taken!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us