How do I add DVD to TV that already has VCR on it?

Username: Dotbowels

Post Number: 3
I just got a DVD player and already have a VCR hooked up. How do I add the DVD player? Best Buy said it would be self explanatory when I open the DVD etc well it isn't. Thanks Dorothy

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 43
I assume you do not have a home theatre receiver? Usually a receiver is used to hook multiple systems (such as DVD, VCR, cable TV, DVR, DTV, etc. ) into and use the receiver output as input into the TV.

Many TV have multiple inputs so you can hook multiple systems to it directly (mine has 3). If yours only have one you would need to buy either a receiver or a simple video/audio switcher. Radio Shack, Target, Walmart all sell these for about $20-$40.

Post Number: 4
No I don't have Home Theater Receiver. How would I know if I have multiple inputs? Right now the cable outlet is in the VCR and the VCR has a cable going to the back of the TV that says anntennae

Bronze Member

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 44
On the back of your TV, you should see a bunch of these circular metal plugs. Identify a group of three that says INPUT. One will have yellow plastic insert, one will have white and one red. The yellow is your video input. The White and Red are your stereo audio input.

Now, on the back of your DVD, there will be a bunch of these circular plugs. Identify a group of three (yellow, red, white) that says OUTPUT. The DVD should come with the cables (3 wires) that fit these plugs - if not, you need to buy them.

Now what you want to do is to connect the yellow from the DVD OUTPUT to the yellow TV INPUT. Then connect the DVD OUTPUT white to the TV INPUT white, then the DVD OUTPUT red to the TV INPUT red.

To test, turn the TV and DVD on. Put a dvd disk into the DVD.

With the TV remote, find a button that is labeled INPUT or something similar. Toggle that switch until you see the picture from the DVD.

If your TV doesn't have any circular inputs, let me know. There is one more way to connect the DVD into your VCR that would also work, even though it's not optimum.

Post Number: 5
Got it hooked up wouldnt work. Re-read your instructions, there were 3 yellows in back of my TV had it in wrong one. Needed flashlight to figure out correct one. Thanks

Bronze Member

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 45
Glad it's working for you. The way you have the VCR hooked up via the antenna is very non-optimum for watching tapes (inferior sound and video).

Since you have 3 sets of inputs on your TV, you might consider hooking the VCR OUTPUT (yellow, white, red group) into one of the TV groups of 3. This will give you better video/audio from the VCR. You do not need to remove the existing wiring. Once you hook these up, you can watch VCR by the way you've been doing OR you can select the correct TV INPUT for VCR.

This is optional...some quits while ahead. Me, I tinker on forever :D.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us