Something strange...

Username: D_singh

Post Number: 8
Is it just me or does 5.1 surround sound come through standard L/R RCA jacks?? I was studying last night listening to Sirius Satellite Radio when I decided to switch the surround mode on my amp/reciever to DTS/NEO:6. Well, I'll tell you what, I got DISTINCT sounds coming through each and every one of my speakers: vocals through center, percussion and harmony through front left and right, ambience and effects like echoes and even emphasis on certain notes/tones coming through the rears, and of course the subwoofer putting out low frequency sounds. Am I missing something here? CAN surround sound be accessible through standard RCA jacks or am I just hearing things? The only output currently on my satellite reciever are the L/R jacks and I'm thinking of replacing them with a TOSLINK, obviously which won't be needed if my suspicions hold true.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4041
no, what you are hearing is matrixed. Wherein the left and right channels are distributed to all the speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 32
I think it's a little better than just simple left/right redistribution. Good decoders like the Neo6 and PLII will actually turn 2 channel sound into very decent surround. I have an old Stereophile Test CD that has a soundtrack for testing each of surround speaker, all accomplished through the standard L/R RCA jacks.
Come to think of it, the old Pro Logic decoder also does this pretty well.

Username: D_singh

Post Number: 9
Well then, thanks for your help. So far, I'm very impressed with how the decoder is operating. Kudos to DTS. BUT, I will switch to the fiber optic.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us