Question on zone 2/3 for Yamaha RX-V1500

Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 1
Hello All,
I just bought a Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver over the weekend and just completed hooking it up. I got this to replace my aging RX-V890 (about 10 yrs old). Needless to say I'm completely overwhelmed by the new features. The surround technology has passed me by...I only understand Dolby Pro Logic.

In addition to my existing 6, I've hooked up a pair of speakers for the front presence and another pair for the surround back and I have noticed that the front presence hookup is the same as the zone 2 output. The manual is not very clear on this topic and I'm hoping you can help me out.

I do not use zone 2 or zone 3 at all so I want to turn it completely off. Is there a way to do this? On the unit display, zone 2 and zone 3 are displayed in red all the time. I'm not sure what this means...the manual seems to suggest that zone 2 and zone 3 are on.

So far I haven't heard anything coming out of the front presence speakers (except during YPAO setup - so I know they were hooked up properly) and I was wondering if this had something to do with accidentally having zone 2 and 3 on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Total newbie
Hank

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2306
Hank,
You can use either the presence speakers, or the surround-back speakers, but not both at the same time.

You can go into your on screen setup menu, and there is a page where you select either presence, or surround-back.

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 8
Thanks for your answer Paul. You are right about the presence vs. surround back.

I'm still wondering about the zone 2/3 business but it doesn't seem to bother me that much. It's just that my old RX-V890 (100watt/channel), at the same -dB setting seem to put out noticeably more sound level than the RX-V1500 (120watt/channel). This leads to my fear that zone 2 and 3 are robbing of power. Maybe it was just the way the RX-V890 dB level is labeled (on the dial) is off (it does not display it anywhere else)- the RXV1500 displays the dB on the display.

The funny thing about sound coming from the presence speakers, now that I had a chance to read and understand more about surround technology, I realized that I don't have any materials with DD EX or DTS EX to test this with (duh!). Do you know of any DVD that will put out presence and/or back surround sounds?
Thanks,
Hank

Gold Member

Post Number: 2340
All DVDs will........

The whole point of the 7.1 processors are to matrix sound into the back two channels to create a 7 channel soundfield regardless of the source. All you need to do is activate them with your remote before playing any dvd. I have a different remote because I have the 2500, but this might help.

I have to press the '8' button labeled EXTD SURR to activate the back channels for DVD playback. Once you do, then you can hit the right arrow button to page through alternatives within that subgroup...IE...PLIIxmovie, PLIIxmusic, DD-EX, DTS-ES, ect..etc. I use the PLIIxmovie mode as default, unless the disc is specifically labeled as DD-EX or DTS-ES. If they are, then I'll select the corresponding setting.

When you setup your receiver Movie Surround fields, you need to make sure you go into that subgroup, and choose whether you want PL, PLII, PLIIx etc, etc. Check through your manual, and it will instruct you how to turn your back speakers on in detail.

You should definitely have sound in the back speakers with any DVD. The action flicks with impressive soundtracks will have the most.

good luck

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 10
Thanks for the info, Paul...I'll have to spend a lot more time messing around this weekend :-). Even though I still don't know what I'm doing, the sounds I'm getting from the same DVDs are so much better than what I had it's unbelievable.

Your description is very familiar. I guess the 1500 and 2500 are closely related (they do look the same). I was going to get the 2500 but the guy I bought it from didn't have any and I couldn't wait...it's tough being type A sometimes...:-). Thanks a lot for your help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2350
yes, they are similar but with some differences. One of them being they have different remotes. I highly suggest you read your manual carefully so you can see the HUGE amount of stuff your receiver can do, and so you format and set it up properly to get them most from your new purchase.

These receivers are simply amazing, and a lot has changed over the years. Like the old car commercial says........."This isnt your fathers Oldsmobi......er, scratch that.....nothing like your fathers Yammi."

Anonymous

You can turn off Zone 2 and 3 by pushing the up arrow on your remote control (the up arrow near all the sources). The little LCD display pn the remote will say Zone 2, then you push the Standby button. Hit the up arrow again and it will say zone 3, then hit the standby button again. This will turn off both zone 2 and zone 3. I hope that helps. You'll have to hit the down arrow twice to return to controlling the main system (Zone 1).

Bronze Member

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 42
Hi Anonymous. Thanks a bundle for your post. While my remote does not initially do what you stated (I could not find zone2 and zone 3), it gave me an idea to look further into this. Turns out I have to program the remote control (L:AMP) to code 2001 to turn on the remote control function for zone 2 and 3. After doing this, your instructions applied.

I was able to turn off zone 2 and 3. I may be imagining this but my main volume seems to be louder by at least 5db than when I had zone 2 and 3 on. At any rate, I'm extremely happy having turn off the annoying red zone2 and zone 3 display. Thanks again!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us