Is there any way of getting on their web page? Can't seem to get there

manglebanglebong
Unregistered guest
wanted a pair of : TR-2810 .
off course for cheap price.

mail - mangspam@emani.nl

theguywhomightbuy
Unregistered guest
i had a friend that got the TR-1110 for 60 dollars each, not a bad deal...then about a year later i ran into the same type of people...they said that they work for some construction company and that they had extras...i bought the TR-2900 for 340 dollars and i should have know better thatn to pay that much, beings how e-bay has the same speakers for 129 starting bid...and well today i might buy a 27" flat screen tv from them but i'm not going to pay more than 200 dollars, im not sure if that is even a smart idea...does anyone have anything to tell me???????

Anonymous

im going to shoot these guys actually they dont know who they are messing with and the just fucked with the wrong puertorrican today so dont worry about it they will get it and if you see somebody dead in the news today in florida... holla at your boy baby

baymick
Unregistered guest
Bought the TR 7010 Home Theatre System on EBay from Speaker City for $224...then I find you all. They haven't got here yet but I am feeling pretty funky. Does anyone have a set of these and should I be getting kissed on the neck right now?

Anonymous

The information posted on the theater research website is incorrect. The correct info is
5451 Commercial Drive
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
US
Primary Phone: 714-894-5888
Primary Fax: (714) 978-0217
if you want to email them you need to email doggdigital@aol.com
his name is glenn smith

im contacting the BBB and various other organizations to find out what can be done. Ill post when I do.

JustAnotherFool
Unregistered guest
Same story as everyone above. Only sellers were in a Black Z71 Suburban. I would like to applaud this scam, it is very well thought out and a lot of work goes into it. I feel like a jackass of course, but I am only out $400. It appears i can sell this *dung* on ebay for about $150 and that only puts me out $250. The worst part is those jerks took about 10 burned cds, very replacable though a pain in the bum.
What exactly about these speakers are cheap?
i was told once that a speaker that is "heavy" is usually a good product and I know in the TR 503 the satellites are like f-ing bricks.
I tried opening them to see the guts but didnt have much luck.

Anonymous

My father had called after the "white van guys" sold him the Theatre Research spkrs, in a Home Depot parking lot near Glendale, Arizona. He got taken for about $500. As you read above, guys loading the truck stuck on an extra pallet of merchandise... Dad thought he was being pretty investigative, getting his DL and Ph, etc, but my guess its fake. Guys offered to let him follow him to the house to get money... Don't ever let anyone do that, at least have them meet you somewhere. Didn't have all the cash on him, so my dad did write $300 as a check which we got stopped immediately, so its better than it could have been.

Don't really want to post his misfortune, but don't want this to happen to others either.

Also as you read these postings you see that the box has the price on it... When have you ever seen electronic equipment boxes have a price on it?

Feel bad that my dad got taken. He called just after he bought them, took me 8 seconds on google to find this site.

You also realize as you read this that no-one had the need for the speakers, most don't have an amp to hook them up to. That is the case for him as well. The losers are playing on people's wants, using pressure and thrift to take advantage. Also one would think that these guys would have the amps too, to sell. The fact that they don't tells me that the speakers suck enough they want to make it hard to hook them up quickly.

There has got to be ways of stopping this, any ideas you leagal/law enforcement audiofiles?

Unregistered guest
i myself am still waiting for a guy in a white van. id like a pair of these for cheap without having to pay the shipping.

johnwayne
Unregistered guest
I too got suckered in mall parkig lot in Toronto. Same bullshit story, received five instead of three, overstocked, got to get them off hands fast before meeting up with boss. Had accomplices in blue car (mustang) with hot chic in the front seat. My pitch man was driving a blue dodge minivan this time. Paid way too much, feel like i could beat the crap outta these guys.Motherfuckers, if you are ever seen in T. , u are finished. Bet that!!!! You fucked with the wrong person.

whitefordvan
Unregistered guest
one day me and my girlfriend were talking about getting some home theater stuff,well next thing you know we get a phone call, its are nieghbor.he tells me hes at the gas station pumping gas,and this guy in a white ford van is selling speaker stuff and its good expensive stuff so we meet up. the guy in the van was a white male 25-30 years old curly hair he told me he was from sacramento which is about 2-3 hours away from here ,and that he was droping off some stuff to stereo shop here in reno,nevada,i asked him were good guys best buy were at, i thought he said best buy ,well then i said ill take them if they sound good,he says ok lets go he follows us to my house i got 2 different sets off his van, it was all theater research products ,the tr-900 towers ,and 4 speaker plus sub system .the price tags on the box were out of control.the price on the tr 900 were 1,999 msrp a piece ,and the other set was 2499msrp. so right off the back they trow you off into thinking you get a great deal.well it all worked,and i liked it. i asked how much,and he siad 800 dollars for every thing, i said i only got 400 dollars ,so i bargained with him ended up paying him 300 cash and 200 dollars in jewlry.i aske for his phone number and he seem real sketchy, then i asked were were you droping this stuff off to again and he says some strange name ,i said i thought you were taking the stuff to best buy know im meeting some one there,then he jumps in the van and takes off.this happened about 7 months ago,but about a month after it happened my neighbor mentioned some thing to me about the white van scam i kinda laughed at him,then today jan 10 i was curious about what the speakers really cost i type theater research and this is the web site it brought me to ,THE WHITE VAN SCAM ITS CRAZY.i am suprised because i am a sellsman and i dont usually fall for scams ,especially this easy easy easy scam that is basiclly un-traceable.but i hope to see some thing on the news one day talking about this

DEALofTHEcentury
Unregistered guest
-Their sales technique is misleading
-Their sales technique is "out of the norm"
-YOU made the decision to buy
-YOU made the decision to buy an unknown product
-YOU made the decision to buy an unknown product of unknown quality
-With no means of return
-What were you thinking?
-And now you want to blame the cheesy sellers for your ignorance.
Would you buy a 2005 Toyota Hoduyrt from a guy on the corner?Because they shipped one too many?At 88% off of retail($70,000)? Only if you buy it on the spot?Probably not.Because you've never heard of a Toyota Hoduyrt!!!!And have absolutely no idea what a Toyota Hoduyrt is worth.Just like you never heard of Theater Research!!And have no idea what their products are worth.
If you were one of the people who made such a purchase, I have serious doubts about your decision making ability.
I hope you're not a registered voter or operate heavy machinery.
Scary.Very scary.

HiFiNUT
Unregistered guest
I'm gonna have to go with this guy. I saw them on ebay and as a habit i looked on the web to see what i could find out. come on, how can you expect to get $5000 worth of speakers for $200 or so? it's been years since i've been approached by the "white van" and i don't know what brand they were selling then but common sense should tell you to be cautious. it's just the same as the guy in EVERY major city selling "real" gold jewelry on the street for chump change. i respect the bums that flat out ask for you money more than these guys. also, these speakers are ALL OVER ebay. ebay is an awesome source for great deals and i've personally made AND saved some decent money on there but it's also a perfect place for the scammers to do the deed. theater research may be a legitimate company too and these may just be some cheap knock offs but even if they are legit from the company itself i'm not dumping that kind of cash on a company i've never heard of until seeing them on ebay.

GIMMY
Unregistered guest
Hi

I just got a pair of TR-1610's.

I was wondering what others think about their sound quality.

Also, are these meant to be biamped or not ?

Thanks,
Vik

HS56
Unregistered guest
I am also interested in any thoughts or experiences with the 1610 or 1611.
Gimmy, if you see 4 posts per speaker, then they are bi-wire/ bi-amp capable.By the way, what are your impressions of the 1610?And what speakers have you used/heard in the past?Just curious, as I'm contemplating the 1610/1611 five speaker package.Cheers...

Anotheronebitesthedust
Unregistered guest
DAMN,DAMN,DAMN, where is the attorney general when you need him. This is incredible. noone wants to Get SCAMMED. these clowns need to be stopped. This S*%T is running uphill. they got a flashy website and everything. they got me for 200 bucks today for the TR-503. you know you always have that feeling in your stomach that you just got scammed, i looked at them and they looked pretty good. i just wish someone had done something. there back in KC, pulling this crap on the wrary. and apparently no one is doing anything about it. somebody's making a ton of money maybe someone can get on the inside and find out who's running this show? put that info on here.

DEALofTHEcentury
Unregistered guest
Anotheronebitesthedust, how exactly is this a scam?
They showed you a product and YOU decided to buy it.
It is not their fault that you decided to buy a product of unknown quality.
From the back of a van.With no means of return.
Wow!! Good decision!!

Unregistered guest
I just got hit with the scam tonight. I was going to work when two people pulled up to me and asked if I wanted to buy a dahlton 5.1 home theater system. They said they wanted $600 for it, eventualy they droped the price to $300. When I said I only had $100 cash but could give them a check to make up the difference they seemed skeptical but dicided to take the deal. After arriving at work I dicided to look up the product sence I have never heard of it and see what it priced for. The only thing I found in my search was sites for scams. I am glad to see this because I just cancled my check. In the end if it dont work i've only lost a $100. ( don't sound like a bad price to pay for a no name theator system)

dam it
Unregistered guest
I bought the 6040 theater reasearch system yesterday on ebay for 265 plus 90 for shipping. Then I found this site*&*)(*&^*^%! It's all good though it comes with a 10 inch powered sub so that alone is atleast a few hundo. When I get the product I will write a review.

rip off
Unregistered guest
I don't really think its a rip off but the msrp price is bull. Its like telling people that target speakers are $5000 a pair but on the sunday sale we are offering them at $49.99. When the whole time they are really $49.99.

muturk
Unregistered guest
If these speakers suck so bad, why are the feedback comments on ebay say these speakers are good. Even though people have paid several hundred dollars on these they think they got a good deal...

superdad
Unregistered guest
has anybody tried to sell their systems to a pawn shop?
even if they do have plasma tv's on their site(tr), i wonder if anybody has ever bought one! i dunno. i'm looking @ an ebay ad now and contemplating it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5745987368&ssPageName=MER C_VI_RSCC_Pr2_PcN__Stores
i think i'll wait for dam it's review. :'\

Unregistered guest
Yep, a fool and his money are easily parted. I got scammed, but I had to give the guys credit. They had uniforms, I.D.'s, business cards, the name of some B.S. local audio company sticker on their white utility van, even the fake inventory slip. They approached me when I was at the bank in Columbus, IN. Same old story, two white guys, mid twenties, made it sound like a good deal, they seemed cool, like they just wanted to give me a good deal. Those A holes. They said that they were given too many speakers. They wanted $500 for each speaker, even showed me a B.S. catalog saying that these TR-2810 speakes were worth $2,000 each. I paid $100 for one, I'm only 16 by the way, thinking I could make some money off ebay. They said they just wanted money to go to a bar. Said they had a small shop downtown, and several elsewhere, Cincinnati, Phili,... I got ripped. Of course it was a B.S. number, and the shop didn't exist. I didn't even hook the speakers up, I was worried that my T.V. might explode from reading your other threads. They said they didn't have much time (they said they were on company gas, and had to be back at work at 3:00, ten minutes later. They were pretty smooth. I filed a report with the local police station, they said they were going to hire a detective, see if they could find them, and get my money back, or maybe more. The speakers look really nice, but they're just filled with crap. I vowed never to get scammed again, never buy anything off the street, and never be a fool with my money. And I hope anyone who reads this never becomes a fool with their money.

Peace.

Unregistered guest
Yep, a fool and his money are easily parted. I got scammed, but I had to give the guys credit. They had uniforms, I.D.'s, business cards, the name of some B.S. local audio company sticker on their white utility van, even the fake inventory slip. They approached me when I was at the bank in Columbus, IN. Same old story, two white guys, mid twenties, made it sound like a good deal, they seemed cool, like they just wanted to give me a good deal. Those A holes. They said that they were given too many speakers. They wanted $500 for each speaker, even showed me a B.S. catalog saying that these TR-2810 speakes were worth $2,000 each. I paid $200 for one, I'm only 16 by the way, thinking I could make some money off ebay. They said they just wanted money to go to a bar. Said they had a small shop downtown, and several elsewhere, Cincinnati, Phili,... I got ripped. Of course it was a B.S. number, and the shop didn't exist. I didn't even hook the speakers up, I was worried that my T.V. might explode from reading your other threads. They said they didn't have much time (they said they were on company gas, and had to be back at work at 4:00, ten minutes later. They were pretty smooth. I filed a report with the local police station, they said they were going to hire a detective, see if they could find them, and get my money back, or maybe more. The speakers look really nice, but they're just filled with crap. I vowed never to get scammed again, never buy anything off the street, and never be a fool with my money. And I hope anyone who reads this never becomes a fool with their money.

Peace.

Anonymous

I wouldn't say that i was scammed, but same story as all above. It happened to me today. I plugged them in and although I don't have a 5.1 Dvd player it sounded alright. I bought the 6 pc. speaker system. I knew that their was something that wasn't legit about it. But I took the guy down from 700 to 300 and took home the speakers. ONe question though, will any 5.1 DVD player work with this speaker system.?

zqwert
Unregistered guest
The website for this company is
trtheaterresearch.com Take a look and tell me how shady this sounds. Call the phone number and tell me that their is something not shady about it. It's a voicemail for a cellphone with all of the messages full. Also the quote on the the side of the tr boxes "the choice for audio enthusiasts around the world", that was stolen from Fluance speaker systems. For me that is where the familiarity came from when I bought these out of the truck. I had remembered seeing that quote with a really good speaker company online but couldn't remember the name and assumed it was these. Wrong, but oh well.

extremetoyzz
Unregistered guest
WOULD LIKE TO ADD MY EXPERIENCE WITH THEST PRODUCTS

I came across your posts on the internet. I thought I would let you know my experience with these speakers. I purchased 2 sets of the TR-0212 digital loud speakers because I had never herd of Theater Research before and wanted to try them out. I paid $290 for a set of 2 off the internet a total of around $650 with shipping. In my opinion they sound great for the money. My setup consists of a Harman/Kardon AVR125, Furman PL-Plus DM power conditioner, Furman AR-1215 voltage regulator, Behringer Ultragraph Pro FBQ 3102, Virtulizer Pro DSP 2024D, Ultrabass Pro EX 1200, Ashly CLX-52 Dual channel compressor/limiter, 2 crown XLS 602 running at 370w per channel at 8-ohm and 2 crown XLS 202 bridged into 500w @ 4-ohm to run both polk subs. That's a total of 1480 watts running the loudspeakers and crown doesn't make crap. I have had this setup for about a year now and have had no problems with the speakers. They take every bit I put at them. Am able to take the volume up to about 90%-93% before the amps start clipping with no distortion from the speakers. I took the boxes apart to inspect them when I got them. The boxes aren't made to bad did a little modification to them. Components look average, haven't been able to test each component yet, when I take them apart to rewire the boxes I am going to run each on a bench setup we have to test audio equipment. Just figured that I would put my experience. For the money I paid they were definitely respectable. If you have any questions let me know. My name is Shawn, email extremetoyzz@aol.com and no I am not a sales person for these products, I own an automotive customizing business and a repair facility right next door. Extreme Toyzz LTD. And 5 Star Auto Care. Phone 440-974-0704

got_hp
Unregistered guest
how is the quality of the cabinets themselves?

they appear to have some really nice looking cabinet designs.

for people who already have them, why not purchase them cheap on ebay, rip the speakers out, and replace them with quality speakers and crossovers from www.partsexpress.com ?

might cost you $100 or so, but atleast youd have nice speakers.

method...
Unregistered guest
Montreal and Laval, Québec, a f*cking guy is doing it again. Black Navigator... If I see him again, I'm gonna break his truck... I paid 300$ can for TR-1130... It's crappy sh*t...

MADDMAGOO
Unregistered guest
well i am another person thats been scammed according to this site i found on google

my one and only question is why has this been going on for 2 years? this forum start in 2003 and now ends in 2005 wtf why hasn't it been brought up to the attention of the police, or the news?

why isn't the company out of business? why is there still a web site why does ebay alow this really bad scam to continue on it's site?

why is it that every one likes and hates these speakers but still know nothing about them, i have spent the last 2 hours reading this sh*t and have come to the conclusion that it just a differint way of getting there product know, has any one actually bought speakers from there site?

no... well no one in this forum has any one tried using the warrenty? why not? scared?
i am going to try it because there is no serial #'s on th phucking thing how can they trace it (on the out side or the inside)

if it was a scam
if it was a fake company
if the speakers where as sh*ty as you think they are

it would not have gone on for the last 3 years!!!!!!

so quit da b*tchin

and send in your warranties if the sh*t breaks. use your neibours address if you have to,

oh and if any one has the rest of the lic.# from a green suv (chev or ford) GG3- i think it was or GGE- i am from calgary but it happend in okotoks Alberta. let me know please email me at madd_magoo@hotmail.com

peace out

AlmostScammed
Unregistered guest
I almost got scammed, but got lucky. After they spun out the same M/O as described above, the guy started throwing the stuff in my car before I could object. I called my friend, who knows more about stereo equipment. The guy took the phone from me and was telling my friend what websites to check out. The guy then handed me back my phone and said my friend wanted to talk to me.

I put my ear to the phone and he said "I am reading from the website: two guys in a white van who claim to work at a local audio store..." He had googled "Theater Research" and found this site, which saved me a chunk of change.

To respond to MADMAGOO: the cops know about it. I called them to report these assclowns and they did not even let me finish my story before sending an officer over because they were so familiar with it.

Why the news has not caught on, I do not know. I seems to defy logic, however, to think that just because a scam is ongoing, it cannot be a scam.

What makes it a scam is that the guys do not work where they claim to, the stories are B.S., their invoices are fake, as is the catalog. Why would speakers that go for over $2000 in the catalog sell on ebay for under $200? IT IS A SCAM!! In fact, it is technically fraud, as they are using lies and deceit to induce people to buy this stuff.

The people who are writing that this is just a good way to get a product known are either in on it or trying to convince themselves they did not get screwed. By the way, warranties are tied to the serial numbers to prevent fraud. If there are no serial numbers, how do they track who is making claims on the warranty?

The speakers may be functional, and maybe even not complete crap, but they are not what the guys in the vans and SUVs across the country are saying they are. That is why it is a scam.

Ambrose
Unregistered guest
It seems a lot of people are angry because they didn't win the lottery and turn over the speakers like they thought when they bought them off the back of a truck.

I bought a set for 300.00 and they sound fine to me. (although I have them hidden behind furniture because I'm embarassed).

Where are the independent sites concerning these speakers? All of the complaint listings tend to come to the same places where really pissed off people are.

Anonymous

I agree with MADMAGOO, though this company is probably legit, it has just found a sneaky way to market their product. Perhaps they are buying the speakers on the black market overseas and shipping them in. They have to be supplied from somewhere. They have to have some sort of business license.

I got taken yesterday and bought a 6.1 surround sound system with two TR-1120 speakers and 6 satellite speakers out of the back of a black tahoe. As soon as I got home, about 15 minutes later, I found this site. Needless to say, I drove around for the next three + hours with a baseball bat, looking for these guys.

I did try to contact the company (via the support numbers on the website), but one number came back with a "Messagebox full" message; the other sounded disconnected.

After all this, I did make a report with the police and I also called the local radio station. They were nice enough to send out a warning to the area to be on the lookout.

I think I will call the news tonight. If people are aware of this type of sh!t, these guys will be out of business.

Anonymous

Why did most of you people think they would be selling $2000.00 speakers for $150.-200.00?

Answer: You thought they were stolen and you were being slick.

You were either going to keep them and show them off as your trophy speakers you bought on the dark side OR you wanted to roll them over and sell them for a huge profit.

When it all boils down...YOU SCAMMED YOURSELF!

I bought mine, but didn't actually have to get the bullshit talk...I was already sold...I didn't even notice the bullshit price on the box until I got home and them I thought it was in Euros or something.

I didn't realize anything was wrong for a year until I found this site.

Where are the independent sites? Where are the consumer reporting and testing agencies? Where are their comparisons?

All that is here is a bunch of really pissed off people that think they got scammed.

YOU WERE THE SCAMMER AND THE FRAUD and you can't do anything about it because at the time you thought you were buying stolen merchandise.

Brian t
Unregistered guest
I just purchased a TR-6100 DVD Player 5.1 channel reciever 7 piece set. Has sub and Five High mount speakers and built in kareooke machine for 300$. Was it a rip off? Same guy probably, althouth he gave me a his card and receipt. probably fake huh?

ramblingidiot
Unregistered guest
I got scammed in Belleville, IL today. Right outside of St. Louis. It was the same story about extra inventory, I was driving my mom's car and got singled out, DAMN! If I had been driving my POS he would have ignored me. Anyways, I only paid about $200 for a set of speakers and I don't feel like that's too much to spend for a life lesson. If I catch them though, it's on.

GETaCLUE
Unregistered guest
Man, there are some dumb people in the world, anyone happen to research that the same guy who sells on ebay as "jaxaudio" is the same guy who owns the website and employs newly-released prisoners from state prisons, gives them a new rental truck full of copyright-infringed products built in Argentina, a stolen license plate, a cell phone number and probably an instruction pamphlet on how to run your own scam?
Notice, if you will, all avenues of contact lead to only ONE address and phone number? The address is bogus and the voicemail is full? Think about what you are doing when you lead convicts to your house so you can pay for your "KILLER" deal? Anyone have something stolen from there house a week or 2 later? Some guy posted earlier he traded some jewelry off? Insanity, if you ask me. The white van could have had FVCK ME painted on the side and people would still buy from it. Why? The buyers are obviously on drugs. Who buys out of a vehicle on the street? Buyers think they are in on a sweet deal, while being told they are getting this "KILLER" deal because the sellers want to RIP OFF there own boss, when, in fact, the buyer is the sucker accepting the rip-off. Just thought I'd re-iterate the obvious since it's almost comical.

bubbagump
Unregistered guest
I got scammed on a set of "Dogg digital" speakers two years ago. I got some overshipment B\S from the smoothest salesman on earth. The kicker is the mass marketing that these distributors go to to place ads in reputible audiophile magazines so that these van salesmen have marketing devices to show their victims. I was shown a professionally prepared, full color ad in a magazine touting the speakers the guy was trying to sell me as super high end stuff worth $3000. I know that print media is all about selling advertising, but where is the outrage toward the legitimate publishers for helping these shady people sell their sh*t? WHy would you anything in a magazine that carried one of these ads?

eml
Unregistered guest
finally this page is over.
it was like a soap opera that you can't stop watching.

thanks for being here anyways

david huffman
Unregistered guest
my brother scammed the scam today in charlotte nc.got two sets of home theater towers and two sets of 10inch car speakers in banpass box for 100.00 ha ha gottem back, then trated them a fake goldchain for a cd player.

DEALofTHEcentury
Unregistered guest
I have to agree with GETaCLUE.This scenario is both comical and sad.
These folks are buying unknown products from a manufacturer that they have never heard of.From the back of a van?With no means of return?Or likely warranty coverage.Come on!!I guess some people believe everything they hear.
It's only after the fact that they decide to get knowledgable, and do a little research.Once again I pose this question:
Would you buy a 2005 Toyota Hoduyrt from a guy on the corner?Because they shipped one too many?At 88% off of retail($70,000)? Only if you buy it on the spot?Probably not.Because you've never heard of a Toyota Hoduyrt!!!!And have absolutely no idea what a Toyota Hoduyrt is worth.Just like you never heard of Theater Research!!And have no idea what their products are worth.
I guess because it's only 2 or 3 hundred bucks,are caught up in the emotion of it all, and feel it's ok to "try and stick it corporate America", they're willing to take the risk.
Forgetting that there are two sides to risk.
Ok, so the coin didn't flip the way you wanted it to.But remember that YOU made the choice.And I don't recall a gun being held to anyone's head.
Sad.Very sad.

superdad
Unregistered guest
has nebody bought them off of ebay yet? that's the only place i've seen them. they look decent, but...

Unregistered guest
The boys are here in Lexington, KY. i got scammed yesterday. same ol story 2 guys in the white van with "audio dynamics" on the side and pennsylvania license plates, claiming to work out of Cincinnati Ohio. felt real dumb after finding this site through google. dont really care to catch the fellows, just want to get my money back. the speakers arent complete crap, but i just dont want em after hearin all this (tr-2840), paid $200 for em

DEALofTHEcentury
Unregistered guest
Ahhh....jackass,
Why don't you want them after coming to this site?

jackass
Unregistered guest
uh...cuz i feel violated, and if i cant sell em on ebay or somthin and at least get my money back then im just gonna find another idiot here in this forsaken town and scew them over just as i have been scroont. there.

DEALofTHEcentury
Unregistered guest
Had you ever heard of Theater Research speakers before you bought them?

jackass
Unregistered guest
no, but the story sounded straight and money signs lit up when i heard how much they were worth. i looked up theater research through google which took me to their site, so i thought the whole thing was legit. sure enough, the websites probly a fake and the magazine they showed me was too.

Anonymous

These scams have been around forever! In the 70's when I was seventeen I worked in a gas station in Jersey. A guy came around in large truck selling selling console tv/8 track/phono/stereos for a unbelievable price. Claimed that they were "hot". He even had a unboxed one to show. One of the regular customers bought one and I helped unload the boxed tv. It was heavy like it should have been. Once we got it off the truck, we opened it up and sure enough there was a console tv - we plugged it and nothing happened. Turned out to be the wood console, a dead picure tube and bricks for weight in the console. Meanwhile the guy was long gone. I don't buy anything off the back of a truck or on the street - I work too hard for my money to get scammed. If it sounds too good to be true, then you are going to get ripped off if you buy. These guys just play on your greed and naivete.

Unregistered guest
I sell speakers on the street. Theater Research, DPA and Sony. Ive been doing it for about five years now. I am what the speaker companies would refer to as an "indie". Im an independent, self employed speakerman. Please hear me out before you throw stones.
Most salesmen only know how to do things one way. The way they were taught. Thats where most speakerguys get stuck. I was there at one time. I worked with a "white van" company for my first two years in the biz. For us, street tactics such as "the flip", "good cop, bad cop", "sense of loss" and "power slam", were just normal ways of doing business. We would use all the old lines. I was one of the craftier guys on our team, an ellaborate storyteller.
All this crap worked. Any given week we could sell up to 30 sets per van using these methods. Then straight to the bars we would go. Booze, pot, coke, whatever. It was mayhem. Inside, my guts were rotting. I hated the way I was living. I hated who I was becoming. I knew that I was doing everything the wrong way.
After two and a half years it was time to call it quits. I packed my bags, said fairwell to my friends and left Los Angeles alltogether.
I found myself back at Moms house, of course. Talk about healing! I love mom. But get this, the best thing that came out of all this was spiritual healing. I invited the Lord Jesus back into my life! I repented of the way I had been living. I was willing to change, so I asked Him to change me. What a process!
Nowadays, Im back on the street selling speakers (Idaho. Green Toyota Tacoma). My pitch is different, Honest, and I have nothing to hide. These are the facts: I get a good deal because i buy so many. My overhead is low because I dont have a storefront lease. I dont have employees to pay and I dont have any advertising expenses. I dont stretch it any further than that. You get a deal because I get a deal! Im happy to sell a set for $200 whereas before I was never satisfied!
There is more to this story. If you have any questions or need any product please feel free to reach me. And sorry to those who are pissed.

Simon Burckhard
televentura@hotmail.com

Anonymous

Don't buy shi* off the back of a truck.

I don't know whats more sad, that people say they were scammed when they bought the speakers off the back of a truck, or the fact that people are buying shi* off the back of a truck. Theres a million ways to buy things, off the back of a truck with its engine running is not one.

HAHA 3 year warranty that is so funny I cant even believe it.

Anonymous

can anyone tell me how the RBH AC-5T speakers are?
PLEEEEase.
thanks.

DEALofTHEcentury
Unregistered guest
"can anyone tell me how the RBH AC-5T speakers are?
PLEEEEase."
Why do you ask?Did you buy a pair?Why the desperate tone to your question?

wakkawakkawakka
Unregistered guest
so, what to do? can anyone tell me how much the TR-2840's are actually worth? and/or how to get rid of them when most people think they're just crap? thanks

DEALofTHEcentury
Unregistered guest
wakkawakkawakka,
More importantly, do YOU think they sound like crap?

RENEEMO
Unregistered guest
WHAT DOES THE tr8010 REALLY SELL FOR? NOT FROM A VAN...

wakkawakkawakka
Unregistered guest
no, dealofthecentury, i don't think they sound like crap, but i ran into a better set of speakers, purchased them, and now i am completely stuck with the tr's. what's important to me is not up to you to decide. my questions remain to be answered, anybody with any good ideas, please let me know. dealofthecentury thanks for nothing.

DEALofTHEcentury
Unregistered guest
wakkawakkawakka,
Just curious as to why you purchased them in the first place.Without any knowledge of quality or what you might be able to sell them for in the event they were deemed unsatisfactory by either you or anyone else.
I just don't get it.You folks are freakin' me out.
Here's an idea:
Sell 'em on ebay.
Lastly, I would be curious as to what your definition of a "better set of speakers" is.
Are they better because you paid more?
Are they better because there isn't a thread like this attached to it?
Are they better because you recognize the manufacturer name?
Or are they better because they SOUND better to you?

wakkawakkawakka
Unregistered guest
why do you care? is it really fun for you to find people on the internet that you can pick fights with? does it give you any real satisfaction? i didn't ask for your subjective opinion, and frankly i don't give a sh@t about trying to explain myself to you. and i won't do it. again, thanks for nothing.

DEALofTHEcentury
Unregistered guest
wakkawakkawakka,not trying to pick a fight.I just find this thread both comical and confusing.
A bad decision was made and then they post here to vent or warn others.Only problem is people don't find this thread until AFTER the fact.
Then post such as the following:

"no, but the story sounded straight and money signs lit up when i heard how much they were worth."
-The story sounded straight?

"can anyone tell me how the RBH AC-5T speakers are?
PLEEEEase."

"Bought TR-8200 wireless system and TR-1120 towers in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada. Want to know if they sound and work alright. Paid way too much after reading all the postings on this site."
-Want to know if they sound and work alright?
Gee ,why don't YOU tell us.

"my questions remain to be answered, anybody with any good ideas, "

So your two questions are
1.what are they worth
2.and how to sell them

2. put them on the open market(ebay, newspaper, laudromat bulletin board, etc.)

1. ask what you paid for them as starting point,and whatever you sell them for will be what they are worth

Anonymous

the guys in the white van are in Peoria, IL today. i was just gettin off work and a white van asked me if i wanted to buy some extra speakers they had from an install job. the driver had glasses and looked liked he had a skin pigment disorder in mid 20s maybe, the passenger was also in mid 20s. said they were from shaumburg IL and had a reciept from there also. also showed me a magazine with the retail price. said they wanted to get rid of them quick and wanted to party and see some t*tties tonight. i told them that i never heard of Theater Research and the driver told me that they intall them with Bose, Klipch and other high end brands. they left acting disgusted and like i missed and good opportunity. so i just came home to look up the brand i found all the stories about the scam. are these just one set of guys or are there a few different sets all around the country???

mahatma
Unregistered guest
Nationwide scam? try international! I live in Leeds, UK. My housemate brought a pair of Theater Innovations TI-1250s for 200 quid (i think about $300) out the back of a white van from some fat arrogant tanned yank, and his scrawny English mate. Admittedly he was high as a kite at the time, and probably the only reason he handed the cash over was becuase they were so shiny!

Before the two left, they both asked to go to the toilet (at separate times, theres no homoerotic ending to this story). I was in my room at the time, opposite the bathroom, and after the toilet flushed, one of the guys walked into my room before going downstairs. As soon as he saw me, he apologised, and said he was looking for the bathroom. Was he fcuk -he was looking for things to steal.

As i was pretty mellow as well, I didnt put two and two together, and it was only after they had left I went downstairs, and found out about my mates recent purchase. I immediately went onto google because Id never heard of Theater Innovations, and spent the next hour laughing my azs off at all the suckers on this forum (no offence really) who had brought 'high end audio equipment' out the back of a van, for approximately a tenth of 'what they are worth'.

We then did a test to see what they sounded like against my Celestion f50s. I could have got a nicer sound myself fartin through a megaphone.

My housemate now uses them as an ornate ashtray stand.

The moral of this story is slow and steady wins the race. Wait a minute - thats the moral for the story about the hare and the tortoise. Sorry, i may be a little slow, but AT LEAST I DIDNT GET SCAMMED! hahaha

suckered
Unregistered guest
same story...white van,home depot lot in akron oh. hooked up the towers and for what i paid...not bad.just wouldnt do it again after seeing this forum.shady drug addicted punks...i let my own greed get the best of me.hope i run into them again im gonna write a check for all their goods then stop payment on it..what comes around...goes around.

jcgoblue
Unregistered guest
DEALofTHEcentury - yeah that's right. I am returning to this website to flame your pathetic _ss. I got scammed back in Dec '04, and was able to get a 100% refund, because they did have a local store, and I got the idea to return them within 3 working days from http://www.scamshield.com/). Something told me you would still be on this post - lecturing and being self-righteous, without revealing your true agenda. You are either connected with the scheme, or a pathetic loser that needs to find another source of gratification. You dumb phuck.

I couldn't agree more with wakkawakkawakka's last comment. How many other "anonymous" posts have you written? Trying to force blame and judgement on people that were scammed in order to convince them to lay down and do nothing? Phuck you moron. I am smarter and more successful than you dunce. So bring it.

DEALofTHEcentury
Unregistered guest
jcgoblue,
I have no agenda and certainly am not involved with their scheme.Honestly I could care less.The only reason I come back to this site is because I'm amazed at some peoples decision making ability.More of a study of human nature.Maybe it's the "dumbing down" of America.Who knows.
But remember, these type of "scams" would be greatly minimized if people like you would wake up.I don't think they would be out there if they were only scamming 1 person a month.So yes.YOU are partially to blame.As well as the sellers.
If it makes you feel better to be mad at me, then fine.I'm glad I can be here for you.Maybe you're only this upset because you know deep down that I'm right.Otherwise you could have easily dismissed my posts as nonsense.
Yes jcgoblue, you are more successful and smarter than I.Feel better now?

jcgoblue
Unregistered guest
DOTC, academics observe, they do not participate. Your "study" from what I have seen is further berating people that were unaware of the scam, and then found this forum to vent or find other courses of action. I got a full refund because of the link I found on this site.

Your passive-aggressive, condescending and judgemental comments reveal more about your need for some other hobby than anything else. You commented on my posts back in December, uninvited. Don't think I didn't feel stupid about getting scammed and will obviously never fall for this again. I take my fair share of the blame, but to the extent this scam has existed for decades and there is enough volume to keep these clowns in business, it does speak to human nature.

I understand why scammers and scammees would be on this post, but what are you doing here? From what I've seen you have added no technical contributions to this post, and if you weren't scammed yourself how did you end up here? If the scam weren't persuasive this post wouldn't exist. Have you been approached? Is that how you stumbled onto this site and then decided to linger here in perpetuity to laugh and judge? Like I said get a life. I'll check back in a few months and I expect that you will still be here oxygen thief.

jackass
Unregistered guest
ha, remember me, complainin bout how "the story sounded straight and money signs lit up" well i took the guys for their money this time. i bought em for $200, well just sold em for quite the profit the other day....in Illinois

HMMMM
Unregistered guest
Yes, you are all very perceptive and wise people.However, we mourn for you in your state of victimization.How could someone sell you a product for more than what it costs them to produce it.Oh, wait.This happens everytime you buy gas, milk, shoes, or whatever from your traditional store.It's called profit , and what the market will bare.For those that purchased these speakers, the venue(back of a van) and tactics(mag. ad/over stock line) were unusual at best.But you decided that this was acceptable.Along with not knowing a thing about this company or the quality of the speakers.It was what the market(YOU) was willing to bare.
Let's say you came up with a product that costs you $10.00 to make.But you convinced the public,with clever advertizing, that they can't live without it.So you decide to charge them $500.00 for it.And the public is happy to pay it.
Would this constitute a scam.Should one feel victimized and seek retribution?

Good for you jackass.The price you sold them for was what YOUR market was willing to bare.Capitalism and the American way.

Anonymous

There are in san jose also. Driving a brand new nissan titan four door. I bought a pair of tr 1610 for 200. Have the guys nunber was going to pu another pair for $200. Saw the dvd etc ad price was $2,270 also saw the ad on the net for $2,270. These people have a lot of cost involved in selling these speaker around the country and canada. Very good marketing concept (shady) but good distribution. Reminds me of my days selling coupons door to door. Maybe same group answering ads in the new paper for warehouse people earn up to $500 per week cash. Sounds familiar to all. Well I feel I got a deal for $200 buck for a pair of towers since I should them for $500 each. thanx

Anonymous

There are in san jose also. Driving a brand new nissan titan four door. I bought a pair of tr 1610 for 200. Have the guys nunber was going to pu another pair for $200. Saw the dvd etc ad price was $2,270 also saw the ad on the net for $2,270. These people have a lot of cost involved in selling these speaker around the country and canada. Very good marketing concept (shady) but good distribution. Reminds me of my days selling coupons door to door. Maybe same group answering ads in the new paper for warehouse people earn up to $500 per week cash. Sounds familiar to all. Well I feel I got a deal for $200 buck for a pair of towers since I should them for $500 each. thanx

jackass
Unregistered guest
The American way....$350 richer compared to when i originally thought i had been scammed, ($200 gone)well it just goes to show, theres always somebody out there dumber than you. either that or they just havent upon this site yet, sure they will soon though...and yes, thats the price my market was willing to bare. one day you think youre completely gipped, the next you are 350 bucks richer...turns out our buddies arent as bad as we think.

Fool me once in Iowa
Unregistered guest
Same story here, two guys in a van in Iowa City, Iowa. Pulled up and told me their sob story about two many units and the tech guys are going to keep the system themselves, because they are just lonely delivery guys. Supposedly from MG Audio in Chicago with a branch office in Quad Cities, Illinois. Yea I got suckered in for $200 on a set of TR-7010 speakers. Oh well I think I have a friend that will want them for that price.

Anonymous

The white SUV boys come to Tampa, FL... God Bless a Small Business.

Brian132567
Unregistered guest
I've got to say this is hilarious. I just happen to roll up on to this website. My friend bought speakers from these guys about two years ago. We just got out of school, we're sitting at a gas station. Two white guys in a white van telling some story about how a local club somehow got too many speakers and now they were trying to unload them. My friend payed $200 for a set. I thought they sounded pretty decent for $200. I would have bought a pair too, but I was poor as a crack ho at the time. I personally thought they were stolen goods, but I guess it's just a wierd business scam. Oh by the way, it was Midlothian, VA outside of Richmond around April '03 or so.

BrianAgain
Unregistered guest
Now that I think about it though, I think the name of the brand he bought was Digital Audio and not Theater Research though. It look a bit like an indoor PA system. It had either a 10" or 12" woofer with a tweeter up top. The woofer look like it was made out of aluminium or some off the wall and very thick polymer.

Unregistered guest
I've been Theater ResearchED! Guy and a girl, white minivan, Florida License Plate Q71 9TB, anyone know a cop? Sold me a set of 2380's, for $150...WTF

mail me it_was_so_easy@yahoo.com if u have any additional info.

I should have known better
Unregistered guest
One white guy. One white van. I live in Portland OR, and got scammed about a year ago. The guy said that he was based in Seattle WA. and had to get rid of the speakers before meeting with his boss. He was really trying to push the home audio speakers but I was only interested in the car speakers. He had all of the fake cataloges and bullshit. He told me he wanted $600.00 for the speakers. I wanted to spit on him. But, being me, I bought a set of 12" subs, 600watts each, in a black carpeted box, plexi glass front, blue neon lights around the exterior of the subs and four chrome plated ports. I paid 260.00 for them. I have yet to try them out, but if anyone has the same set and has heard them I would like to know how they sound.

bug
Unregistered guest
just got slammed in Tampa yesterday at a homedepot, same m.o ,,,white suv, licenced from new jersey, I have not hooked them up , but from what I am reading at least they work, for a while i started to think I had bought a fancy speaker box with bricks in them.. Even though i feel scammed, I give them credit, what a story, even a fake website. I want to remind most people, every time I go to starbux, disney, some lousy movie, pay 50$-100$ for tennis shoes; we are scammed daily.... ++ sometimes your the windshield sometimes your the bug.

the bug today

I've been fucked
Unregistered guest
Montreal Canada, those fools were here too...

i've been scammed today and i hate to admit it.
TR1120 speaker for 200$ can. They asked me in a gaz station. They were in a perl white navigator with licence number FCC8587, a rent car. I asked him for is driving license and he gave it to me. I would like to kick there head off

I've been fucked
Unregistered guest
Montreal Canada, those fools were here too...

i've been scammed today and i hate to admit it.
TR1120 speaker for 200$ can. They asked me in a gaz station. They were in a perl white navigator with licence number FCC8587, a rent car. I asked him for is driving license and he gave it to me. I would like to kick there head off

Johnny Knoxville
Unregistered guest
You people have honestly never heard of these guys before? I bought a pair of "Becker" 12.3 model(knock off of a company that makes sound systems for mercedes and bmw) home speakers about 9 or 10 years ago from these clowns.
2 guys in a white van, saying that they installed a bunch of them in a local movie theater, boss gave him too many, worth $1250 a piece (not a pair). I knew the guy was full of crap (even though I never heard of the scam before) and offered him $50 for a pair. He wanted $300. After arguing for about 15 minutes, we agreed on $80. I figured if they sounded like crap, I could sell them to a friend.
Me, my father, and 3 of my friends all picked up a pair the same week as each other, but didn't know we all had them until we visited each other. We all had the same look and laugh when we saw each other's speakers. My old man got the best deal at $75 for the pair, I won second place with $80 (I was pissed to find out my old man got em for $5 cheaper...oh well), everyone else paid about $100.
The best part? We all knew the guy was full of doo-doo. Their was no way someone would ever think of selling a $2500 pair of speakers for $300 (stolen or not), let alone less than $100. Do you really think a company is not going to know that they gave a couple of shady donkeys like these guys extra speakers that are worth that much money? Maybe I'm a bit skeptical from having grown up in NY, but you people really need to wake up. This scam has been going on for at least 10 now, and you haven't heard of it before? Where have you been? I thought everyone knew about these guys.
Think about it this way...
YOU thought you were getting a great deal on
STOLEN property, and THEY are the scumbags for
ripping you off?
I'm sure they weren't that shady when you thought you were getting the deal of the century.
You knew the people were dishonest, but you thought they were being honest with you.
THINK ABOUT THAT.

Oh yeah, about the speakers...
We all still have them and use them here and there. I used them for about 6 years on an almost daily basis. They sound ok; not great, but not that bad either. I've upgraded since then, (I was in college at the time) but they make a great outdoor party speaker. Worth every penny of the $80 I spent. Any one of my friends will tell you they same thing.

Almost Suckered In Iowa City, IA
Unregistered guest
Iowa City IA - 3-9-05 1pm
Today received call from my father while he was eating dinner at McDonalds in Coralville. Wanted my thoughts (I live in Denver, CO) on a set of TR-8010 speakers. He was told that it was a complete home theater speaker system at first. Guys (collage age) in van with Illinois plates said that local collage bars downtown were getting these systems (tip #1). Said that they loaded extra into van and had to get rid of before they returned back to their shop Said that the system was priced at $2000 but was willing to get rid for $600. Deal too go to be real. 'Sales guys' said that they would even sell these units to cops. They had big balls. I wanted to know the brand name on these units. I thought he said Bose but found that it was 'Theater Research'. My dad trusts me on electronic purchases and always calls me on any questions before he purchases any home electronic gear.

I was out and about running errands but had my laptop and cell phone and was able to get to the internet quickly. I did a Google search of 'TR-8010' and somehow came directly to this web site. Red flags came up in my mind. I went to the web site that they gave my dad - trtheaterresearch.com . Course then came up with a generic page. I could not find any info on the speaker system. They did open up a new box for my father and pulled out the instructions. He read the documents to me. I gave dad the go ahead and he preceded to the bank to extract the $600. I was still questioning myself.

The guys were starting to get pushy now cause said that they were 'late' to their next appointment back on the UofI campus. Funny that they were way out here when they were orginally delivering these speaker systems to the collage bars downtown. (tip #2). They were way out of their way to be trying to sell these systems to my father and no bar would EVER install home speakers in their establishment.

I contacted my dad back about 5 minutes later and questioned if he had given them the money. Said that they were outside the bank and that he was at the teller starting to get money. I told him to back away from the deal and that it was a possible scam. Wasn't until I read many of these posts here - of how big the 'white van' operation really is. He watched the van drive away quite quickly out of site.

Common sense works here as well - Never buy frozen meat out of the back of a pickup truck - and Never buy products that seem to good to be true.

- - - Almost Suckered in Iowa City, IA

Berwyn, IL
Unregistered guest
Well my friend and I were confronted today in Berwyn, IL right out in front of a Best Buy next to n. riverside mall. Thought we were getting a deal. I'm usually good at this stuff too but it all seemed legit, invoices, 3 yr warranty, WROTE DOWN HIS LICENSE # FOR US.

Got TR-8010 5.1 surround set + 2 TR-2830 towers for $600, originally wanted $800. They sound nice and better than what he had before, but the sub doesn't have any power AT ALL. Anyone know if that was at least an OK deal? I feel bad because I should have told my friend no.

Win some lose some right?

suckeredfor thefirsttime
Unregistered guest
well for the first time i was suckered. these two white characters came to me today claiming that they had extra speakers from a job. said that their boss would take the speakers if they were to take them back to the shop. they had tried to sell them to me for 600 hundred. I of course said no. but as i was about to leave the premises the other approached me and and said if it was the money i was worried about he would settle for cheaper. that is cause he wanted to get rid of the speakers as soon as possible. so i told him i would buy them for 300 dollars. they loaded the speaker in my van and i led them to the atm machine and paid them the money. i got home and my wife did some research and found out about this web page. right now i am in sacramento california. these two characters are in california right now. serves me right though for thinking that i could get a great deal buying them from the parking lot. i wont back my head agains the wall for i should of known better. i'ts a learning experience for me. things like that makes me not want to give to the homeless. i hope those two guys get what's comming to them. anyways, i have to go and just a warning to any of you out there. don't believe in the two white guys selling speaker and entertainment system from their van.

Drunc Dunc
Unregistered guest
Ottawa, Ontario.
My buddy phoned me today. All excited about a great deal. He was so excited to get over here he even got a speeding ticket. Drags these "$3500.00" speakers that he only paid $200.00 into the house and out of the box. Didn't look so special to me. I punched in a google search on Theater Research TR-1410 and ended up here. He got scammed with the same MO as shown here. He left furious to track this van down. Quebec plate # FCD1041

Ravit
Unregistered guest
Berwyn...if you've read this thread at all, you would know that's NOT a good deal.

parkinglotsucker
Unregistered guest
THIS TWO SCAM GUYS ARE NOW IN BELLE VERNON PENNSYVANIA THEY GOT MY HUSBAND IN WALMART PARKING LOT.SAME MO WHITE VAN,BOSS STORY,BEER STORY. AS OF 03/15/2005

Anonymous

the other day i got the same story...differnt car but still the same story, deal of a life time right?...if you pump an extra $150-200 in to it... its ok...not 'oh my god' but ok.

kinda lucky
Unregistered guest
same thing here,2 guy's in a durango i think.Any way they said they had extra speakers and just wanted to make some cash before getting back to there boss.The one guy kept saying do i need to go to an atm for money but i told him i only had $100 bucks i could give for them.They are Theater Reseach TR-2800's.Not bad for $100 you would pay $500 new on line.Tese boxes say they sell for $1999 each so dont belive that but like i said not bad for $100 they sound ok.I think im gonna hang out in that parking lot again and see if they come back because i had the speakers in my truck before i paid the guy and next time im gonna take him for a little ride as i do a drive off on his a#%.If you have any ?'s give me a buzz,oh ya by the way this was in the meijer parking lot in waterford Mi. so if you hang out there in the back you might get your chance to get back at these guy's to if they got you.(luckyme3@charter.net)

Anonymous

Here's a tip for people around the Seattle area. A guy in an SUV or van hangs out around banks selling these speakers. He goes by the name of Troy A. Fall and his liscense number is 723 SPX.
DO NOT TRUST ANYONE

Erik Stonesee
Unregistered guest
Yo, you think ya'll got scammed! Peep this. I am an actual audio engineering student and i was on the way to class when it happened. I was getting gas at 7-11 and three guys pull up in a brand new black Expedition in Orlando, FL. I dropped $750 from a cash advance on a credit card for 2 of the so called TR-1120's. i thought i would be nice and give them a little extra. Yeah, i got screwed big time. It was 3 white guys probably in their early 20's. One of them is named Isaac and his phone # is 321-439-8302. Please give them a call and tell them how you feel. The # is for real. Don't be a fool by getting scammed!

doctordave240
Unregistered guest
I live in the middle of south dakota and the scammers are here too. a buddy of mine fell for a pair of the TR-2920 for $300 and now i'm here reading everything everyone has said and he's pissed! when i went over to his place to check out the "awesome" speakers, i was a little skeptic of the packaging....just a cardboard box? i've started taking apart one of these units to see exactly what makes it tick...this model has the 6.5 inch yellow "carbon fiber" cones. all i can say is cheap. and i completely agree with those of you that say the sub sounds distorted at high levels. after further inpection, the "sub" is nothing more than just a cheap 10 in woofer and there is nothing "high excursion" about it. it has nothing for a magnet structure! all the speakers (and "sub") have spade terminals with the 14 gauge wire soldered to them. the back of this model has 3 sets of terminals in the cabinet, the top one being the stouter of the three. this one seems to wire into the amp and be another sub output hence the expanation of the 200x2 rating on the amp. the center is the full range and the bottom is sub channel only. cheap wiring, cheap speakers, cheap amp (boards look like they were made in the 70's), cheap sub. that's all that it comes down to. but the speaker does sound ok. ok for the $30 worth of components it has loaded in it. there is one thing i do like about these though, the cabinet. it is made of sturdy MDF with somewhat correct cabinet volumes for the speakers it houses. i'm thinking of getting these from my buddy for $100 just for the cabinets and to spare him maybe a little grief from his girlfriend. i was planning on building a setup exactly like these anyways and i'll save on the trouble of making the cabinets myself and the humiliation when my carpentry job looks like crap. i'll just reload all new components myself from a speaker parts supplier like www.partsexpress.com. so in the end, the speaker is cheap, but i think it'd be badass to load the cabinet up with some quality components and still save on buying a name brand set. i am very sorry to all of you that got scammed and i know you all don't want to put any more money into something that isn't worth what some of you paid for it, but i just wanted to post my opinion.
some url's to check out:

PLATE AMPLIFIERS
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&DID=7&CAT_ID=43&ObjectGrou p_ID=505&SO=2

6 1/2 INCH WOOFERS
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=49&Object Group_ID=488

10 INCH WOOFERS - filter search with "subwoofer"
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3&ObjectGroup_ID=483&s m=1&so=2

i hope something here will help someone

-Dave

Martymar
Unregistered guest
I just had 2 friends that bought the TR-2830 's last week , one friend payed $350.00 , my other friend haggled them down to $150.00 , from my observations on the quality of these speakers , if u pay more than $ 150.00 for a pair u payed too much . so if u want alright sounded speakers cheap , let these guys find u , offer them $50 or something , these are cheap speakers , make no doubt about it . Theses are NOT the great HI-END HOME AUDIO they try to make them out to be . by the way these were bought out of a white blazer in a parking lot here in Boynton Beach , FL

Jarvee
Unregistered guest
happend to me in Toronto Canada, same story
bought the TR8200 for $250 canaadian
i copied down his license plate
he even showed me his driver's license saying he was from a local city nad had to rush back to work
alghouth i got a glance at his ID, i'm sure it could have been fake as well
all these little things to instill trust that he was legit
he didn't even count my cash and drove away, i gave him 250$ though

Anonymous

Glad I turned him down after read the other posts. A guy in San Jose Ca, offered the Home theater set for $300 claiming they were worth 2,699 (printed on the box). Far as I know the price of quality speakers are not usually printed on the box. This guy had a similar story that he had to get rid of them before he returned to his boss. He was driving a Lexus or Acura SUV (the Big One).

Unregistered guest
Purchased a pair of the TR-1610's from Ebay in July of 2004 for my son. Worse purchase I have ever made for home audio even if it was for my son who knows little about quality. They work, but, come no where near my expectations.

I have had the "warranty" card returned to me 6 times as "undeliverable" as if it even matters.

Anyone think about launching a class action lawsuit against these guys?

Unregistered guest
Hey everyone, I want to buy some sets of these speakers for me and some friends. I honestly think they sound great and love them. If you have the black Digital Pro Audio speakers(Full Floor Models) or the 7 peice(5 speakers) Theater Research I will buy them. Or for that matter just tell me what you have and we'll see if I want them or not. Email me at loanstar@gmail.com or call me at (903)275-7454 and we can haggle on the price. Thanks!

Anonymous

lastest scamming area, Tallahassee, FL. Yep, I got scammed. Same story, even had an invoice showing the purchase that was overstocked. This was the third time I was approached on something like this and had never went for it before, figured what the hell, see what happens. Oh well, live and learn. Did get the license plate though and will be looking for those b*st*rds.

Username: Stfo

Post Number: 5
i'm looking for speakermen in europe

stfohenri@yahoo.com

Unregistered guest
(Grove City) Columbus, Ohio

Got Scammed first time, I've ever really got the screws turned on me. Even worse a friend of mine got taken too bought 2 sets of tr-502's for $500 a pop. same ol story 2 guys in the White Dodge Van with "audio dynamics phone number 513.860.3035" on the side and pennsylvania license plates. Guess what though I got the plate number of the car, Pennsylvania YLU8161. I'm giving the police on my lunch break tomorrow to see if there is any course of recourse. I got 2 witnesses worse off if they would have been there 1 minute earlier they would have talked me out of it. If you know where they are at home address, etc. email me.

Jamey
Unregistered guest
Yes, I'm the latest dumb sss. TR-9200 pair for $500. Gtreenfield Indiana, east of Indianapolis.
Same white van, 2 white guys. I feel pretty stupid but serves me right I guess.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us