Using TV as Center Channel Speaker ...

gadawg12
Unregistered guest
OK, I know that using the TV's speaker as Center is not a popular idea - but we do what we can to make the wife happy, right? At least I got her to agree to a Philips HD plasma on the wall, so I'm trying to appease her by not cluttering it up with another "gizmo".

My question ... the TV has an RCA plug connection for the center channel input. Do I need a receiver with a center channel preout for this connection? And, if I wire the TV's center to the receiver's preout, does the receiver still control the volume on the center, or do I now have to control the volume on BOTH the TV and the receiver??? Any other suggestions? (besides getting rid of the wife and getting a REAL center channel speaker?)

Thanks, Jeff

Username: Austen

Post Number: 7
Hi Jeff,

Yes, you need a receiver with a center pre-out.

Yes, The receiver will now control the center volume, so that will improve the WAF !!

Have you committed to the Philips plasma yet ?

If not there may be another option.

Austen.

gadawg12
Unregistered guest
Austen - thanks for the reply - yes, I already have the Philips plasma on the wall. Picture quality is excellent, but I didn't do my homework and planning in advance on the surround sound, obviously. I bought an Onkyo receiver and didn't figure out the problem until I noticed that there were no center channel RCA outs on the receiver. Now that it's going back - any suggestions on a receiver? I've heard suggestions for Denon, Pioneer, and Yamaha that have preouts. But, all suggestions are GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks, Jeff

Username: Austen

Post Number: 8
Hi Jeff,
For what it's worth, I've just purchased a Denon 3805 that has center pre-outs .....

Honestly, When you compare the brands you mention, I think you'll be pretty happy with the sound from any of them, as you've found out, it's more of a features (and WAF ) thing ....

BTW, How's the AmbiLight ? Use it much (at all)??
I like the idea so much I'm looking at putting a couple of Cold Cathode Fluros behind my (Fujitsu) screen. But of course they won't be controled by the Fuji at all.....

Austen.

gadawg12
Unregistered guest
I think I am leaning toward the Denon - I've heard a lot of good things about it. I thought I would be fairly disappointed with the Ambilight, or at least ambivalent about them. But, after using them and then turning them off, it's surprising how much better the screen looks with the backlighting. And, the WAF is extremely high - makes the whole setup look really great. Now, if I can do something about the sound .... thanks for your help.

Jeff
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us