7.1 setup - speaker height off ground

Bronze Member
Username: Griffin_andrews

Post Number: 14
OK...you guys should have an opinion (re expertise) on this question

I have just received my Fluance SX-HTB and additional surrounds etc for a 7.1 setup. The towers are 38" and the center will be built in over the new 50" Sony...no problem with height here.

How far off the ground should surrounds be (I can mount on the side walls of the room)? How far off the ground should the rears be (I can mount on the rear wall of the room.

The basic layout is couches / chairs facing the new Sony.

I've already run cable to the general areas for the surrounds and rears.

Please let me know what you guys think...height wise.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1551
Ear height while seated......

If you plan to mount higher, you'll want them aimed down to the primary listening position.

Username: Stoneheaver

Post Number: 2
No, I thought they are suppose to be ear height while standing for your surround L and R speakers, and a little to the rear. I could be wrong but that is what I read on THX and Dolby Digitals site for Surround speakers 5.1 and above.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1580
Only if you stand while you listen and watch movies.

Why on earth would you aim the sound at standing height, if you plan to sit??

oh well....
Duh?

nevermind....

Username: Stoneheaver

Post Number: 3
O.K. It looks like you don't do any kind of research on how to setup your system. Here is a link to Dolby Digital and speaker setup. It tells you to put the speakers above ear level...and from many manuels you can get from Sony, Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon, they say about 2 ft.
http://www.dolbydigital.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

Onkyo Manuals - look in speaker placement - it tells you to place it about 1 meter above ear level while sitting, this means if you stand, about ear level.

http://www.onkyousa.com/download/own_manuals.cfm?cat=Receiver

Don't just blurt out things, do a little research Paul.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1586
If you want to position the speakers over your head, and shoot the highs straight over your head, then knock yourself out.

If you like, you can post 100 links, and you'll see slight variations in nearly every one of them, so what's your point?? People would be better served if they used a little common sense rather than posting stupid links that mean nothing in attempt to prove an incorrect point.

I suggest you do a little simple research for yourself. Stand in front of your main speakers with your ears at tweeter height, and then move either 3 feet above or below that line and let us know if you can hear any difference in the tweeters.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 555
Paul , once again here you go with false info for the masses. Karl most theater setup's will have the surround speakers at 6-8ft from the floor. This is what dvd soundtracks are optimized for. This gives height to sound along with width and depth. If they were all at ear level Paul there would be no height and a helicopter flying over your head in the movie would sound like it is flying through your head.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1589
Of course, you fail to mention that if the speakers are mounted 8feet off the ground that they should be directed downward.

Heck, since the speaker directionality means so little, why dont you take your speakers and turn them to face the wall while you're at it??

It wont matter or effect the sound anyway, right??

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 559
If you have crap speakers then the dispersion of sound will not be good, say like the bose speakers are very directional. But with a good wide soundstaging speaker they do not have to be directed right at your eardrum. Paul your responses seem to be progressively more illogical in the time that I have been here. I know you have a good bit of knowledge in this dept. but as of late it's like you just have defensive blinders on that keep you from answering questions without personal attack or demented logic. I have seen pics of your setup and your surrounds are at least 6ft off the ground I cannot understand why you would argue my comment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1600
For the same reasons that the low frequency wavelengths are non-directinal in nature, the opposite holds true for the high frequency wavelengths, and nothing can change that.

If you're tweeters are aimed off into blank space in a 'willy-nilly' manner, many of those highs will never reach your ears. My back speakers are mounted 7+ feet off the ground, but they're wall mounted and directed downwards into the primary listening area.

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

Post Number: 11
Everything I've read states that the speakers should not be directed right at the ear...but rather just slightly off.

Username: Jebeltra

Fanwood, NJ US

Post Number: 3
Gentlemen:
First, as a fellow HT fan and man of peace, may I ask you to please calm down on your adjectives and qualifications. Everyone has an opinion and it is unnecessary to qualify people for their opinions. I think we are all mature and intelligent enough to tolarate other people's opinions and belives even if we disagree with them.

I agree with Karl and others with a twist that may explain Paul's view. I have also read tons of material that say surround speakers should be higher than ear level, some say a couple of feet, some say you could as high as 8ft. My twist is that it also depends on the SIZE of the room and what you are listening to. If you have a big room, with relatively high ceilings and you will be seated at a fair distance from the surrounds and rear surrounds, placing speakers relatively high will work excelent. The distance speaker to seating position would allow any decent speaker to disperse the sound in a way that the listener will get all the frequencies in the listening position, without the need to point tweeters down.
If your room is relatively small, and the distance speaker to listening position is too short, placing the speakers too high may not allow you to get all the frequencies. This is speacialy important for multichannel audio, where you want to get the full sound of your surrounds. It works the opposite way for movies, where you want an inderect non-distracting sound.

I have a tiny room with midsize bookshelfs. I decided to place the surrounds just above ear level to properly enjoy multichannel music. For movies, I get the surrond channel effects relatively localized, against the purpose of surrounds, but I live with it. For example in the Matrix movie, when Neo is avoiding bullets in the roof of a building, the sound of the bullets moves around the room as the camara angles moves. In a perfect setup, I these should be seemless, but in my very small room, the sounds are too localized and somehow distracting. But I can live with that.

I hope this helps.

Jorge
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us