Ascend, Axiom, Aperion, Rocket - help please!

Unregistered guest
Hi, sorry for those who have seen this kind of topic too much, but these four are the frontrunners in "budget HT systems" category, which I'm researching and hope to finally decide on one. 80% movie + 20% music

So after reading a lot of reviews and forum posts I kind of get the following impressions (I'm new to audio so please forgive me if the comments are not accurate, again they totally based on study, not my own):

- Ascend (CBM-170/HTM-200/CMT-340/VTF-2): this may well be the system of choice for me, everything is good (I don't care too much about appearance) especially Hsu VTF-2. But looking at their web site makes me wonder if they are a serious business, the product order form doesn't include the HT package listed here, there's no warranty policy stated anywhere... BTW, any comment on their sale/service experience?

- Axiom Epic Grand Master: almost neck-to-neck with Ascend, except for a weak sub. All good reviews on M22ti and QS8 (with its enveloping surround effect). I wonder if I can ditch the sub and replace with a HSU and get the best of both world.

- Aperion 522D: this is the most contraversial system. CNET rates it top of the list but almost ALL forum posts are negative with comments such as "boxed-in", "too bright", "fatiguing", etc. How do I sift thru all the information and find out the truth!

- Rocket ELT: very contraversial also! maybe the design caters to a specific taste?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Username: Anthony

Post Number: 1
In terms of the Axioms you can buy the system without the sub, just buy the system in pieces and get a new sub like a Velodyne. If you order 5 or more pieces on Axioms site you get 5% off. Just a thought since I just bought a system with out the sub from them. And also the customer service was great, they helped me plan my ssytem and were not pushy.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 371
i've auditioned and loved all the speakers you mentioned, a friend of mine loves his Rockets. I ended up getting the Axioms, I just thought they staged a tad better than the Aperions. But between Ascends and Axioms was a tough choice, but the Axioms won because I thought they looked better, the Ascends were an acquired taste. My wife loved the way they sounded, too, but she hated the way it looked.
customer service on all the speakers were topnotch, except for the Rockets which I haven't really dealt with.
You have a tough choice ahead of you, welcome to the insanity that is audio...lol
cheers

Unregistered guest
hi, Berny, were you comparing the axiom and ascend systems listed above? your comments are carrying a lot of weight to me since you have auditioned them all... Have you gotten a sub yet? which one and how's that working for you? I'm thinking Hsu VTF-2 to replace the EP-175. but then I may as well just get the ascends... what do you think?

The Ascend seems to be a bit cheaper than Axiom (even after ~$170 shipping cost of the Ascends). I don't mind the look otherwise I'd choose the aperions for sure.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 375
yes, I was comparing the ascends and Axioms. And it was a really tough choice, but I could not justify keeping both so I went with what my wife and I liked aesthetically. The HSU VTF sub is better on both the Axiomas and the Ascends. It sounds more solid than any sub I have heard.
cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us