No composite outs on TV... How can I connect it to my home theater system?

Username: Will1990_11

Post Number: 4
Ok, i just bought a new tv, and to my amazment, it has no audio outs! anyways, i need to connect it to my home theater system. heres the hook ups they have...

TV has:

S-video in
Component in
Composit in (2)

My Home theater system has:

lots of composit in's
coax in (2)
optical in
some video in's

I really need this to work... please, any help will be apprechiated! thanks

Silver Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 176
Run all of your video components into the the receiver, not the tv... If you have hi def or progressive scan on dvd player, Run those videos directly to tv since your receiver doesnt have component video switching.

If your TV has only 1 component video in and you have 2 component video sources, consider upgrading to a component video switching receiver.

OR

Dont use component video from your dvd. If You downgrade to composite video in from all your video sources except hi def (if you have it), then you can use your reciver to switch all your other video sources through input 1 on your tv, and still see your hi def by changing inputs on your tv to component.

Its gonna be very hard to get specific without any model numbers, as i cant see the capabilities of your equipment.

Repost your model numbers and brand of each piece of equipment and ill write a very specific hookup order.

Post Number: 5
ok, thanks for the help. the tv and home theater are both not very common... but the tv model number is-

Panasonic 27 inch flat screen- CT-27SL15

i dont have the model number of the reciever.

Silver Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 179
any chance you could look on the back of the receiver and wirte it down?

The reciever is the hub of the system, i really need to know what inputs and outputs it has.

Post Number: 6
yea its RD-6500. its model is sherwood... also, that tv model number i gave you... its acccually CT-27SC15... but they are both the exact same anyways.

What i would like to do accually would be maybe theres a way to convert a RCA input into and RCA output or coax output or something like that...

I apprechiate the help... Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1517
Will, under virtually no circumstance do you want to run composites out from the TV to your HT.

Sources generally should run "INTO" your TV, and not out. Composits wont allow 5.1 surround anyway.

You should run Coaxial/optical from your DVD/sat sources directly into your receiver for 5.1 surround audio.

If both your TV and receiver only have one input for component video, that's a bit of a problem if you have 2 sources. There are ways around this issue, but I'd recommend either upgrading your Receiver or TV instead, because it's probably long over due.

Post Number: 7
Ok, but if I did the thing with the DVD, I would not be able to use the home theater system for my TV would I? i would only be able to use it for movies.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1519
Will,
Run the Coax/optical directly into your receiver, then run secondary composits from the source OUT to the TV.

I do that for my SAt/audio so I can watch TV without the HT, but not DVDs. I've never listened to DVDs through the TV, nor will I ever because of my personal preference.

Post Number: 8
well paul, i want to watch TV with my Home theater giving off the sound. i change it to stereo mode when i watch TV for the better sound. i dont really watch a whole lot of DVDs so i just want it to work for tv. is that possible?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1523
yea, I understand.

You will want to run either Coax/optical directly from your cable/sat box into your receiver, and then run secondary composits from the box directly to the TV as backup. That way you can either listen to TV sources with the HT, or without.

Of course, I dont how modern your cable/sat box is, but any modern setup should have the necessary outputs to connect directly 'out' to both the receiver and TV at the same time.

If you rent your box, and it doesnt have the outputs you need, your provider will swap it out with a 'modern' model at no charge.

Good luck

Post Number: 9
Oh, ok i get it now. what i can do is string a S-video cord from the cable box to my TV. then i already have a rca coard strung up to my tv, so i will hook that up to thhe tv. the only problem is with the regular channels like fox,nbc and stuff... but those dont matter that much anyways... but thanks for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us