Another newb question - HDTV to receiver connection

Drew 79
Unregistered guest
Question - I'm setting up my system and I've come on a bit of a quandary. My receiver has HD/DVD component video inputs/outputs. My HDTV doesn't have an optic/digital coax output. My plan is to run an optic audio connection directly to the receiver. However, I'm wondering, would it be better to run the component video connection directly from the cable box to the tv or should I run it through the receiver? I do want to watch the tv in "normal" mode with sound coming only through the TV, but I want to make sure the audio/video will be synched when I'm watching movies/tv programs in surround. Any thoughts?

Bronze Member
Username: Javmo200

Michigan

Post Number: 53

I am not sure why you would like to make the transition between a center channel and TV speakers but here is what I would do. I would run component from the cable to the receiver and component fom receiver to TV. -- I am not sure what do you mean Normal mode --I believe the only way for you to use the what you call "Normal Mode".. If your cable box has a second component video conection then run that to the TV through a different imput on your TV--humm a lot of work for nothing.

Drew 79
Unregistered guest
I'm sorry - I guess I wasn't clear. By "normal" I meant just watching tv without running sound through the receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 65
Not all Hi Def cable boxes have an RF (threaded cablevision) output, some do, some dont.

if yours does, then run the component video out of the cable box, into the receiver, then out of the receiver and to the tv's input X. Run the optical audio cable out to the receiver.

Then run a standard piece of RG 6 coax (cablevision wire) between the RF output on the cable box and into your TV's VHF tuner in.

then watch hi def with HT audio on tv input X, and watch standard tv with no receiver on channel 3,4 of your TV's tuner.

If your Cable box doesnt have RF out then hook its composite audio/Vid cable (red white and yellow)up to your tv's input Y and watch standard tv without HT on tv input Y.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us