How to use Philips with big ol speakers?

Username: Virg

Post Number: 1
We have just acquired massive speakers (two cabinets- each with subwoof, tweetie and main) that my father restored in the 60's from a vintage movie theatre. They rock, but, how to connect them to the Philips MX5000D surround? It says "protected" and shuts down when we try?

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 249
they may have the wrong resistance(ohms) for the reciever. You may be able to rewire then internally to reach the right ohms, I don't know.

Username: Virg

Post Number: 2
Hmmm, I would rather NOT rewire the speakers as they are working beautifully thru a c.1986 Sony stereo amp TA-AX455. I'm thinking I'd rather replace the Philips surround with one that could integrate these bad boys. Never loved that Philips, anyways, the DVD reading/ loading was cumbersome. I'll read up on receivers and would appreciate anyone's input! Thanks so much

Bronze Member
Username: Jbecvar

Post Number: 56
If it is a problem with the resistance, you might be able to go into the setup menu on the receiver and change the resistance level to accept those speakers. Also try tech support, for whatever little help they will give.

Big Balla
Unregistered guest
My subwoofer does not seem to work. I have a MX5000D. I have set it on all the possible settings and sill it barely plays.

Anonymous

I M using OLD AR2a speakers with my GTWY 42 plasma. Ran them thru my Sony STRAV receiver/amp unit. SOrt of.
Ran the output for extension speakers from the GTWY to the Sony. That allows the Sony to use its amp to boost that low sound to something my AR's can use (low efficiency, 8" woofer, 5" midrange, 1 3/4" horn tweeeters per unit).

This allows me to vary signal so that I can balance the output of the TV speakers with the TV volume and feed same signal to the AR's with th SONY switched to those speakers. Works great, let me check on all this and repost.

Larry
(fred flintlock had to be used as my name was too close to a registered user...)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us