Newbie question. surround from tv??

Username: Crash41

Post Number: 3
i just bought my first surround system (onkyo 502 receiver/infinity 450 speakers).
i have a 2 year old panasonic tv with tivo. Right now i'm only running my DVD player thru my receiver. Question - if i have my tivo/TV go through my receiver - will i hear it in surround? or does regular tv not output surround?
how about playstation 2? i figure this onkyo has so many inputs - i should use them if they will help.
thanks

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 365
Yes......definitely. Hook your Tivo through your receiver too.

Depending on your Tivos audio outputs, the surround with either be a simulated surround, or true 5.1. On new receivers they will both sound good.

You need to have either optical or digital coaxial outs on your Tivo if it outputs in 5.1. Even if your Tivo doesnt have those outputs, your receiver will take the 2channel source and simulate 5.1 surround.

Post Number: 4
now is there also a way to watch my TV without having to use my receiver? is there some sort of thru button on the onkyo 502?
thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 370
Yea sure....

There are several ways. It also depends on what input/outputs you have and the type aucio/video output you're capable of.

Knowing you have a Panasonic Tv with a Tivo doesnt tell me anything.

Post Number: 5
Thanks paul.
right now i have the receiver's component output into the TV's component input. That leaves me with one more video in on the back of the TV. I was going to plug my PS2 and TIVO into the video inputs on the receiver. Then use the monitor output of the receiver INTO the video input 2 on the TV. now - how would i hear sound w/o actually using the receiver?

thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 384
If you run everything through your receiver as a switch, you'll have to have the receiver turned on for those functions to work.

.....which isnt necessarily a bad thing. Expecially if you like surround sound. I virtually always use surround sound when watching tv and exclusively with DVDs. I dont even run DVD audio to the TV....Heh

About the only time I 'dont' use surround, is if I turn on the tv to just watch the news or something.

Aaron S. Miller
Unregistered guest
Also depending on how many component inputs you have on your reciever, you can get a component wire kit for your PS2 as well.. =b

Username: Haleyb12

Post Number: 1
I have a question about surround sound on the DVD player, I recently bought a new Yamaha receiver as my old kenwood was not working. I have gotten the surround sound to function with playing a movie, however, the voices on the movies sound like they "echo", it does not do it if I have it on direct stereo vs. dolby digital--- Any input or anyone else have this problem?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2839
Are you using the digital audio outputs into you digital audio inputs of the receiver?
As opposed to using the red/white output of the DVd player?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us