Review of Samsung HT-DM150

Third Time's the Charm

A review of the Samsung HT-DM150 Home Theater System

When I was shopping for a home theater system, I had a list of features that I wanted to find in my ideal system. They were as follows:

Built in DVD player with Progressive Scan capability
Component Video output
Digital 5.1 Surround
Digital Audio Input
Audio CD and MP3 Player
AM/FM tuner
Small speakers that could be wall mounted
Single, low profile unit that looks good
Under $350

As usual, the sales reps at Best Buy were useless. We spent about an hour looking through all of the Home Theater systems that met my specifications and they were either priced way higher than my budget, or did not have all the features I wanted. I was about to give up and order one that I had seen online when my wife came running over and dragged me away from the sales rep. She took me to the end of aisle display (the sales rep forgot it was there) and there sat the HT-DM150. The Samsung met all of my requirements and more. It seemed to be too good to be true for the price ($284.99 at Best Buy) that I paid. I would find out later that it WAS too good to be true. More on that later.

Hooking the system up was a snap. All the cables and jacks were clearly labeled, and within 45 minutes I was ready to watch a DVD. If you're not wall-mounting the speakers, it will take even less time. I have a 47" HDTV capable widescreen TV (also by Samsung) with component inputs so I was able to connect to my TV with the component video cables. I also connected my Samsung HDTV receiver digital audio output to the digital audio input of the Home Theater system so I can listen to quality audio tracks from HDTV broadcasts. The Fiber optic cable for that connection was not supplied and had to be purchased seperately at a cost of about $35.

Next there are a few setup items to take care of. If you have a 16x9 wide screen system, you need to configure the Samsung for it. It comes defaulted to the 4x3 standard aspect. Once you do that, you also need to set up the unit for Progressive Scan to get the best quality picture. It defaults to interlaced.

Finally, I was ready to watch a DVD. For my first selection, I chose Pearl Harbor. I figured this would give the system a good workout with all of the explosions, gunfire, music, etc. The system handled all of the sound from the movie quite well. The room is a 12 x 12 finished basement room with a carpeted floor and I was able to get decent volume levels without distortion. I test viewed several selected scenes, and all seemed in order. The performance of the system is quite impressive considering the low cost. There are more powerful systems out there, and I'm sure that they sound better, but to my non-audiophile ears the thing sounds phenomenal. I didn't have time to watch an entire movie because I had some things to do from the honey-do list.

So now, on to the bad part... My wife knew that I would have the thing set up quickly, so she invited some friends over for a screening that night. Everyone was impressed with the look and sound of the system and several commented how neat the neon blue display lights looked. About an hour into the movie, the system clicked and the screen went blank. It had locked up! I noticed that it was very hot and that the fan on the back of the unit was not blowing air. After trying several things, I wound up powering off the system and powering it back on. As soon as the system was powered on, the fan came on and the system cooled down in a matter of minutes. We watched the remainder of the movie without incident. The next day, it did the same thing twice more while playing DVD's for my son. Back to Best Buy it went, and I got a replacement. Fortunately they let me exchange just the main unit, I didn't have to bring back the speakers and accessories. Got the 2nd unit home, and immediately hooked it up and played a DVD. Same problem, about 1 hour into the movie. This time the fan would not come on when the unit was power cycled. I stuck a plastic tie wrap in through the fan hole and spun the fan blades. The fan immedietely came to life and cooled the system. I was able to then finish watching the movie. It was late and Best Buy was closed, so I returned it the next day. Got a third unit in return, hooked it up, and all seems fine. It has played several movies to date without incident. I did notice that the 2 faulty units were manufactured in July 2002 and the functional unit was manufactured in August 2002. Maybe they fixed whatever problem it was and the later unit is OK.... I called Samsung Technical help line and they were clueless. Claimed that they have not seen any bulletins or recalls for that item.

Wrap-up: Now that the system is working properly, I am elated with it. It has all the features I want in a sleek, attractive package and it won't take you broke. Would I buy another one? I don't know. I really like it. Time will tell if the quality holds up. The PITA factor (Pain in the A$$) has me a little perturbed. This should not happen. Where has the legendary Japanese quality gone????

Anonymous
mass production,and almost all the manufacturers are doing now with these all in ones.the same thing happen to me with a panasonic player and they 'panasonic'just shrugged it off,so i'm finished with that company and the all in one units.we as consumers have to be very carefull who we spend our money with,i won't even buy a battery from panasonic ever again.

G. Gutierrez
I purchased this product on Sunday and I am just annoyed that there is no "Audio In" ports.

So all the sound has to go through the DVD player >_<

Anyway, my DVD player says that it was manufactured in Jul 2002, do you think I should return it now or wait for it to break first, heh.

What are you talking about? This thing has 1 digtal optical 5.1 input and 2 analog stereo inputs.

Please clarify your question.

Doug - Thanks for the in depth review. I'm considering this unit for many of the same reasons you stated. I also have a Samsung 47" HDTV and figured the dvd/audio from the same manufacturer would simplify things. Are you able to use the remote from the TV on the DVD?

j delgado
samsung is korean, right ? :)

Mark -

Yes the remote works on the Samsung TV for some functions. I have not been able to get it to work for the joystick functions which can be a PITA when switching between video inout modes. They have a matrix in the back of the Home Theater manual where you can program the remote to work with many major brands of TV's.

I'm about to purchase this unit -appears to be a great deal- but have a couple questions about it first:
-Any HISS detected during those quiet moments? Specs for this say 10pct THD distortion compared to much less percentage for more expensive brands - just wondering if it's detectable
- How's the subwoofer sound - and is subwoofer volume adjustable?
- Also, I'll be hooking this up to new Toshiba 57hdx82 I'll be receiving this week - if anyone's aware of any problems with compatibilty would appreciate the advice
// Thanks guys - appreciate all the info so far regarding this set//

Matthew McClintock
The sub is not powered, it is really not that impressive. One of the main reasons I returned this product

If I bought this system I would like to add my portable region free player ... I am assuming the digital imput will handle the sound correctly. Can someone confrim this for me?

Thanks ...

Tamon

Anonymous
I have a Digital TV tuner hooked to the optical 5.1 input, it works great. If the only reason you want to use the portable unit is because of it being region free, here are instructions to make the DM150 region free:

Here is the correct codes to change from Region 2 to Region Free:-

1. Open tray and remove any disks in tray.
2. Close tray.
1. Switch Off Player and Unplug from mains wait 30 seconds (this clears RAM)
2. Reconnect to mains
3. Turn on player with remote.
4. Press ENTER on remote.
5. Press 8, 4, 2, 6, 9. Using keys on remote.
6. Press ENTER on remote. (The tray will open and player will power off and close tray.)
7. Switch on power from remote.
8. Player is now Region Free.

Does that region free procedure really work? Can anyone else confirm. Will it mess up the DVD player if I make a mistake??

Will that code work if the player is Region 1 to begin with?

Just bought the HT-DM550, sounds great and DVD's look good. Wanted to share some info and also ask a couple questions:
Even though the BestBuy salesman didn't even know the DM550 existed (they only had DM150's on display),I found some boxes tucked behind the DM150's under display unit and they priced the same at 284.99. 550 has upgraded features and 400 watts.
Have a question for anyone who has a DM150 or 550 regarding DVD. Although following instruction manual, I'm still unable to determine whether I've switched it from the default I.SCAN to P.SCAN. It says while in stop mode, hold pscan button down for longer than 1 second and this will toggle between I and P. I'm unable to see where it displays this. Any way to find out if I've switched it to p-scan?
Also, Apparently I'm unable to get true surround with this unit because my digital cable box (scientfic atlanta 2000 comcast) has only digital coaxial besides the RCA jacks. The only digital input for this receiver is optical. I've been told there's no way I can get true sound with this since receiver lacks digital coax connect - does anyone know if this is true??

I just bought the system yesterday and so far I'm as happy as can be. I have a question on speaker locations. I'm a newbie at this so please bear with me. The manual and other preliminary research suggests putting the speakers 2 - 3 ft off the floor for optimum sound. The satellite speakers on this system mount at roughly a 40 degree downward angle. Do I need to adjust the height to compensate for this? It seems that the sound will all be directed at the floor about 5 ft in front of the screen if I don't raise them. Also, the center speaker doesn't have any mounting point. Should this go on top of the TV or maybe on the floor in front of it?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Anonymous
I am having trouble getting the video for DVD's on my DM150. The audio is just fine. I've got connections from the player to a VCR, TV, and cable box as well. The pictures from the VCR and TV won't appear, yet the sound works great. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Anonymous
Anon (Dec 28 - 10:25)

make sure you select the correct Video setting on your TV's input.

Also, if you're using component video (Color stream), ensure the cables are correctly plugged in the corresponding spot.

Also, never route your DVD to your TV via the VCR; do it directly.

Well I finally had enough of this crap over the holidays. My THIRD Samsung unit fried on me and this time it didn't overheat. It started losing sound while playing DVD's and watching TV. By christmas morning, I got all static coming from the speakers as soon as I turned it on.

I packed the whole thing back in the box and took it back to Best Buy on December 26. I told them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. I exchanged it for a Pioneer system with a seperate DVD player. It cost me more money, but I finally figured out that you get exactly what you pay for.

Hi..can somebody tell me how to change my HT-DM150 from Region 4 to Region Free or at least to region 1 ?????...

I'll really appreciate your help....
Thanks

mark g
Hi ive just got the ht-dm150 ,im in the UK have found when i connect the system to the TV via the av1 scart on the tv and set the selector to RGB .i can not get a picture on normal tv brodcasts on when a dvd is played and have to move the swicth on the back of unit back down to composite. is this correct

thanks in advance

Ian Prior
Hi Mark G !

I am also in the UK and am thinking of buying the ht-dm150. Which is the UK best outlet to buy one ?

What manufacture date is your system and have you had any problems with overheating ?

How much is the system being retailed at ?

Did you consider the Pioneer DCS-303 ? If so, why did you discount it ?

Does anyone have a view on whether I should go for the aforementioned Pioneer system or should I plump for the Samsung ht-dm150 ?

Cheers,

Irpy

Anonymous
Does anyone try to read PAL movies with HT-dm150 ?

Region free codes aboves work fine with a japanese DVD (region 2 NTSC) but not with an european DVD (region 2 PAL : wrong disc displayed on the screen).
If this player can not read PAL movies when region free, I think that european and american versions are different (I live in USA).

The remote control can control more than brands listed in the manual. With number 28, I can control my philips TV.

No problems of overheating with mine purchased at Bestbuy and manufactured in sept 2002.

Chris

I need to make Samsung HT-DM150 from Region 1 to Region free. The 8, 4, 2, 6, 9 keys don't seem to work for me. I am using the Samsung remote supplied with the product. Any other suggestions or clues!!

Thanks

Michael Elder
Dixons are doing the DM150 for £299 at the moment. I am also trying to work out whether to get the pioneer dcs-303 or the DM150.

I read the reviews in the feburary issue of what hometheater magazine, and both sound great.

I am mainly getting the unit to plug my xbox through becuse I want 5.1 sound...is the DM150 a good choice for this?

Thanks
Michael

stephen thompson
I had the same choice between the pioneer and the samsung.I finally went for the samsung because:
The samsung got excellent reviews in 2 uk home cinema mags(best buy in both)
The samsung has rgb via scart(pioneer doesn't)
The samsung was 70 quid cheaper(dixons £299)

I think both machines would be a great buy.The choice,as they say,is yours.

Michael Elder
I finally went for the Samsung too. Fantasic Product. Sound is great. Good looking system. Basically I cant fault it.

Think I've made the right choice :)

Sembaldo
i had the samsung dm150 but changed it for the pioneer 303 and i prefer this one by far. I noticed the samsung gave out alot of speaker noise in the rear speakers plus the pioneer has much more power and my ps2 has never sounded so good!!

Anyone else have a problem with their DM550?:

Have been impressed with this unit since my purchase 2 months ago. Great sound, DVD picture quality and I brag about this bargain to others whenever I can. However, just tonite noticed a slight hiss at low volume that's developed. Hiss turns into irritating screeches periodically. I've checked my connections and it does this in all modes - FM, AUX1 etc.. Will call Samsung warranty but curious if anyone's had similar problem?

I'm in the UK and just got the DM150. It's my first DVD player so nothing to compare it with. I also considered the DCS-303, but went with the Samsung because of the RGB scart instead of s-video.

I got mine from bedirect.co.uk for 249.99. You can't argue with that!

Seems like a bit of hiss at low volumes and the fan can be heard at low volumes as well. Shame the sub isn't powered, but for my small room it gives impressive sound.

Should I wall mount the speakers using brackets, or just screws? Where can you get brackets from ?

stephen thompson
Allen Conquest You can just use screws but remember to hang the rear speakers about 3 feet above your listening position due to the fact that the speakers are angled downwards

Gregory Soldier
I think the Samsung HT-DM550 is a great choose for a user how has a semi-smal room. It's not a demolator, it's only a low price Home-cinema. It has great picture, impressiv sound, and low price. I live in Hungary, but the region free codes changer didn1t work on thoose, wich was bought in Hungary.
HI!
Gregory

Anonymous
Can anyone tell me which home cinema is better (in sound and picture quality), Samsung HT-DM550 or Pioneer DCS-303. Someone asked a similar question up there.
Thanks

Caslav
I followed procedure from "anonymous" who mentioned above about that how to make ht dm150 from region 2 to multi region and it really works. So far so good from Samsung!

Craig W
Have seen few queries re which to choose the Samsung above or Pioneer model.

I am also considering the Samsung but have been weighing this up against Sony Davs 550 which at about £330 isnt much more in price. Anyone got any views on davs or this comparison?

Thanks

Craig

Anonymous
At www.dvdrhelp.com I see report that DM150 can play:
"Kodak Picture CD/JPG image support"
"MPEG1/2 ISO, plays MPEG1/MPEG2 files with no authoring"
I tried both, but without succes.
Can anybody confirm this info?

Bimmer
Only the post from Sembaldo was informative to us how are chosing which HT to buy. Is there anyone else how tried both Samsung and Pioneer to tell which is better. I think Pioneer is much better because that company has much more expierens in that kind of products. And nobody is complaining about Pioneer quality issues, and you couldn't say that about Samsung because a lot of people are complaining about it.

hi, i've got a samsung dm-150 and a samsung rear projection widescreen tv.when i switch the dvd player on i get diagonal lines across the picture which looks like interference.i've tried absolutely everything to get rid of these and reached the end of my tether and took the machine back which they sent for repair.when it came back it was the same so they gave me a new player.this is exactly the same as well.i don't get interference from any other input,even my ps2 played dvd's clear as you like.anybody got any ideas????

mark meldrum
does anybody know how to remove the lock on dm150 whenever i try to remove dvd the word lock comes up on screen....mark

Patrick McClintock
I don't know if it's just my receiver, but the volume is really not that high. I hear nothing on volume level 35 or under and am basically just working with volume level 60-70. Is this normal? Should I change the receiver or buy another type of home theatre in a box? Thanks in advance

hi mark,
mi kids locked my dvd for me,took me ages to figure it out.i think it's the play button you have to hold in.if you hold it in for about 5 seconds the screen will flash up unlock,easy as that.it's absolutely no where in the manual is it.if it isn't the play key it's one of the others on the front of the unit except the stop button which resets the unite to factory settings.

Joe P
There is a post on the PROBLEMS WITH SAMSUNG DM150 thread that explains how to unlock the unit.

Some DVD's seem to play best around a volume setting of 60 to 70 while others are better between 50 to60.

Those diagonal lines are weird. From what I have read it is probably not interferance. It sounds more like the output and inputs are not matched as well as they should be. I know, that really sounds weird considering your set up.

mark meldrum
found the answer to the lock turn dvd off hold stop button on panel then turn on using remote..mark

Anonymous
My unit keeps having subtitles on when I play a dvd. I've turned them off during the dvd several times, yet everytime I go to watch one it's magically turned back on. Why? How do I fix?

Neil Duff
I bought the DM150 after 2 very good reviews in UK mags and very happy with the unit except: First unit wouldn't even spin a disc, progressive scan button does not exist on the remote or mentioned in the manual and camera angle icon keeps appearing. Can anybody tell me how to get rid of the angle icon and how to get Progressive scan. www.BE-direct.co.uk was very good and only £240.

Anonymous
I have just purchased the samsung 150 for £190 at unbeatable.co.uk (it seemed a much better deal than the pioneer). Does any one know of a hack to convert the player from region 2 (UK) to region free???

Here is the correct codes to change from Region 2 to Region Free:-

1. Open tray and remove any disks in tray.
2. Close tray.
2. Reconnect to mains
6. Press ENTER on remote. (The tray will open and player will power off and close tray.)

Enjoy!

Hi Guys!
Recently bought Samsung DVD, HT DM 550.
Anyone knows how to convert it to region free from region code 4??
Pls let me know...please!!!
thanks guys, and have a nice day!!!

Paul
I have just bought the Samsung HT DM 150 and I was using the test tone to check the set up of my speakers. Whilst the satellites and centre speaker are fine, I can't hear anything from the sub woofer even after checking the connections. Can anyone tell me if they hear anything from the subwoofer when using the test tone or not?

Thanks

I'm in ThaiLand and bought the HT-DM150 for 19,000 Thai Baht (about $440 USD).
I feel like we're getting ripped on prices for this sort of product here, considering my Mother in the USA could buy the same item for almost half that price.
On the other hand, I'm very happy with the product. It's been working for a week now. And it got a heavy workout last weekend and this weekend. No overheating, but it could be because it's on the top of my stack, and plenty of room to breath behind it.
One way around the sub being too quiet is to edit the DB setting. I set mine to +6 using the "sound edit" button. That was too much, so now it's down to +3.
It took all day for us to find a unit with progressive scan, DTS, & Component Video.

Hello All, I have recently purchased the HT-DM150 and now find out I may have to move to Australia. I have worked out I can get a power convertor easily enough but they run region 4, which I think is PAL - is there any way I can play those dvd's on my system??? Reading the other messages its not looking good but there havent been any posted for a few months!!

Anonymous
I have an NTL cable box,a VCR and the DM150.How can I utilise the whole shebang?i.e.the simplest way to connect the 4 units[tvincluded] to work with each other.Are there short cuts? £199 in the Co-op by the way.

Which Co-Op was this? I tried to go to their website, and also had a look in my local but could not find one!

Anonymous
brighton,london road.On offer.

I HAVE A TV TRI-FORMAT SAMSUMG CL29K3W (NTSC, PAL, N, PAL M) AND I BUY THIS HOME TEATRE HT-DM150. BUT I HAVE SOMO DVD IN REGION 2 PAL. I CONVERT TO REGION FREE BUT SEND A MESSAGE ERROR " WRONG DISC FORMAT" ANYBODY HELP ME TO CONVERT THE NTSC TO PAL. THANKS

Anonymous
Hello people i would like to thank russ briks for the info on unlocking the dvd player IT WORKED but with the function key im glad cause i threw my manual away. And for the person who wrote the main review im sorry you found your experiance at best buy not so good, because i work there and i think that we are not useless. Its probably you think you know a lot from your 20 min of research on the internet and you probably think you know more than the sales rep but hey thats cool.

i bought the ht dm150 back in oct 2002 all working perfectly well until a week ago when it started to overheat and cut off, am now going to take it back for a differant system, a shame really cos it is very good for the money and yes the region code above does work, what other system is good for £350 in the uk?

Anonymous
It does warm up some and the remote is minute, button wise but I spent £25 getting it set up and its well worth the little money[£199]I paid.The Woofer needs to be set at six I find.

rlande
I'm thinking of buying this product. I know, there are some problems with it but I am thinking of taking a chance.

Apart from mfg date after Aug 2002, which all things should I take care of? Is it true that it displays just first 8 characters of MP3 file names? Does latest firmware also have this problem?

I'm staying in Brussels, Belgium. Are there any problems specific to the model made for Europe? Does someone know the place (in or around Brussels) where I can get it at the best price? Any idea how much would it cost here?

By going through the above reviews, it seems, in many cases, it starts giving problems after a couple of months of use. Are there some users who are using it for more than 6 months now? I would like to know their opinion.

Are there any other home theater systems, available in Europe, which falls in the same price range (300 Euros) but out-performs this one? I'm sure, each one of you will have different opinion but I would like to know what are the available options.

Hi good people!
I have a problem whit my DM150 - my kids just pressed some function, so I cant hear sound on all 6 speakers now! Central speaker and rear left are dead :( I notice R-DEL 15MS setting is turned, but i cant set it on 0ms!? I just can set it from 15 to 30ms. Pressing stop for 5 seconds (INITIAL) doest help me. Please, can anyone help me? Thanks!

abel ramouska
is there an insturction manunal to this product online

Jonathan
There is a manual on the Samsung USA website.
Here's the link:

http://www.samsungusa.com/SamsungUSA/DOWNLOAD/20021123/HTDM150_1.pdf

Just bought HT-DM150 and i'm loving it... but there is one problem. It is for region 5. Can anybody help me to make it region free?

Recently I bought a Samsung HT DM 150 home theatre for £125 from our local Dixons (Ayr) which was closing down. I tried, on numerous occasions (using the method and hack code decribed on this page)to change it from region 2 to all channels, but failed.
Today my wife tried ,using exactly the same method, and succeeded first time!!
So, if you also have been unsuccessful, the simple answer is get your wife to do it for you.

notchbak
i bought the HT-DM150 in april 03, and i have a unit made in dec 02. not a single glitch or problem.. love the unit and i am 100% satisfied with the 279.99 i spent at bestbuy. also bought the samsung DLP 50 inch .. this system absolutely rocks.
also reguarding the i-scan p-scan questions.. your tv MUST support P-scan or it will not allow this setting. trial and error using the new samsung 50, and its p-scan capable or standard i-scan inputs brought me to this conclusion. hope this helps.. (and yes i also agree the volume seems like it is slightly lacking considering the power output its rated at.. but its perfectly acceptable considering the cost of the unit and features.

I have a Tosh 520 multi region player. I bought it to play Reg 1 DVDs using component video output/progressive scan. I tried it for the first time using Matrix Reloaded Reg 1. The subtitles remained permanently on. Anyone any ideas? Also, does anyone know of a PAL progressive scan hack for the Tosh?

Anonymous
If you guy want to convert region3 to region free, Try this...
1. Remove any disc from the player.
2. Switch Off Player and Unplug from mains wait 30 seconds (this clears RAM)
3. Reconnect to mains
4. "Open" , then "Close tray" with remote.. wait until "No disk" sign appear
5. Press "Repeat" on remote.
6. Press "567329" Using keys on remote.
7. "Open" , then "Close tray" with remote
8. Switch off.
9. Player is now Region Free.

signori...brighton
I have a dm 150 and a standard lap-top with all the usual port holes.Can anybody advise me of the lead and connection I need to run my lap top music thru the dm 150?And what settings as well.Thanks.

Iain Brydon
Hi,

Recently bought DM 150 in UK and wish to converts from R2 UK to region free (like I did on my old Samsung 709 machine). Tried the:

2. Reconnect to mains

Method and din't work!!!

Anybody in the UK managed to get hack to work??

Any help much appreciated.

Anonymous

Tried the 8, 4, 2, 6, 9 hack codes that some ppl has been suggesting but didn't work for me as well. My HT-DM150 was bought in the US (Bestbuy) during last X'mas.
Bought some DVDs in China and tried to play them and got the 'wrong disc format' error message. Tried numerous times the hack above but to no avail.

Anyone has played China DVDs on their Samsung HTDM150 before?

Unregistered guest
Hi guys,
I have a HT-DM150 Samsung Home Theatre Region 1 purchased at Best Buy in the U.S. and I would like to play Region 2 or Region 4, hell, any OTHER region besides Region 1 on my player. I travel and would like to buy DVD's from Europe, Asia and South America. Unfortunately, every hack I've found here on this website as well as others does not work (You know, the 8,4,2,6,9 deal with the remote, etc.). Can't get it to work for the freakin' LIFE of me. Thought it was just me, but then again, I've found lots of Region 1 posts where people complain about the same thing. Apparently, the UK'ers have no problem getting it to work for them as I've seen lots of happy little messages reporting success with the standard hack.

*HAS ANYONE IN THE U.S. been able to makea US purchased, Region 1, HT-DM150 Samsung *region free*?

I sure would appreciate any help on my e-mail:

jablathe@hotmail.com

Thanks,

HT-DM150 Region 1
Sadly UNHACKED in Alabama

Raymond Doynics
Unregistered guest
Bone rulz!

Unregistered guest
Hi guys,
I have a HT-DM150 Samsung Home Theatre Region 1 purchased at Best Buy in the U.S. and I would like to play Region 2 or Region 4, hell, any OTHER region besides Region 1 on my player. I travel and would like to buy DVD's from Europe, Asia and South America. Unfortunately, every hack I've found here on this website as well as others does not work (You know, the 8,4,2,6,9 deal with the remote, etc.). Can't get it to work for the freakin' LIFE of me. Thought it was just me, but then again, I've found lots of Region 1 posts where people complain about the same thing. Apparently, the UK'ers have no problem getting it to work for them as I've seen lots of happy little messages reporting success with the standard hack.

*HAS ANYONE IN THE U.S. been able to makea US purchased, Region 1, HT-DM150 Samsung *region free*?

I sure would appreciate any help on my e-mail:
minnella_luigi@yahoo.it

please please please...help

Anonymous

I purchased recently a used HT-dm150 without Remore Control. I tried diferent universal control but they didn't worked. Somebody knows were can i purchase an original remote control or what universal control can be used with it?

will appreciate send your response to vcrispin@prodigy.net.mx

thanks in advance.

yo
Unregistered guest
you can either purchase a remote from amazon.com
$34.99 free shipping or take your chances with ebay.

search for samsung remote and look for your model.

yep
Unregistered guest
my ht-dm150 just died recently, made a horrible buzzing sound from the speakers and cut off.

lovely. will samsung fix it? it's over the year warranty? i wonder if i can get them to cover the cost of shipping?

Anonymous

I get some bad bleeding going on when there is alot of black on screen. I'm running component. Anybody else have this problem? I'm using a year old philips 27" tube TV. This problem doesn't occur with my Nintendo through S-video or the DVD player through composite...but it looks bad in that mode anyway. any help would be great!

Anonymous

I have recently bought a Samsung DVD Home theatre HT-DS110 in India (Product made in China)...locked for DVD's from UK/US...Can anyobe please help me unlock the stuff.

Thanks

Unregistered guest
No progress on the Region 1 to region free yet? Put me on the list for any suggestions.
Thanks

Tried 8,4,2,6,9; it did the open/close then standby. BUT still won't play other regions. I think this code is from R2- Region free, i need R1 to Region free.

C Townsend
Unregistered guest
This post concerns the Protection fault that can occur with the unit. I was lucky enough to find a mint condition unit in someone's trash during our city's annual spring cleanup. I rang the bell and even got the fellow to go in and find the remote.
So I was disappointed to find that the unit displayed the protection fault each and every time I powered it up, and then it shut itself down. I took it apart and after a couple of hours of troubleshooting found that at the back behind the fan and obscured from the top by the heatsink bracket, there was a power resistor with one lead touching an adjacent inductor coil. I bent the resistor over, away from the coil so it didn't touch and bingo! The unit now works fine as far as I can tell. Now, if you are having a permanent or sporadic problem it could be because of this manufacturing defect; usually the coil wire will be thinly insulated but that insulation coating can wear through and allow an intermittent or permanent connection which will prevent the unit from working properly. Perhaps this fix will work for you.
Regarding the heating issue, I would say that the unit has some engineering problems. Specifically, there is a 12v regulator near the center of the power amp board in front of the power module heatsinks, and that chip is just too hot for comfort, even when the unit is not pumping audio. If you are so inclined you may find replacing that device with a TO3-encased regulator of the same model will help the problem. You can identify it as having a tall heatsink that is about 3/4"-in square. And it will be hot! With the TO-3 case regulator you will need to figure out an alternative way to heatsink it.
Good luck with that! I hope it is of use to you.

Unregistered guest
My ht-dm 150 remote no longer works and i cant acess the menu..so dvd has pretty much become redundant.what should i do cause no universal works either.is this an internal issue.

jamo
Unregistered guest
I have a dm150 and i have a serious question. It states that the thing is locked when i want my cd out of the tray what do i do?

Username: 3lo

Post Number: 1
hey C Townsend
what resistor is that,
can you write me in detail to 3lo@one.lt

moss
Unregistered guest
i have a ht dm150 and the rear speakers dont work, i have tried everything. does anyone have any suggestions.

thanks

Username: Alfromlv

I have a Samsung HT-DB650 and also have the "protection" fault problem after rarely using it for 7 months. I was able to get around the "protection" fault by turning on the unit using the power button on the main unit and immediately turning the volume knob left and right. If it doesn't work the first time, keep trying it until you see "Volume" on the display and you'll see the volume level moving up and down on the the display. It took me about 3 to 4 times before it worked. Now it's working fine. Hope this helps.

Username: Otterama

Iowa City, IA USA

I have a Samsung HT-DM 150. Today my son ejected a DVD by 'pressing all the buttons'. Now when I load another DVD, it flashes 'Wait' permanently. I've tried shutting it down, unplugging it, and all the simple stuff. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us