Crackling w/ Onkyo HTS-770

Username: Ross87t

Post Number: 2
Hello everyone.

My dad just bought an Onkyo HTS-770 home theater system. We hooked everything up as per the manual. He's got his Mitsu TV, a DVD player, Satelite receiver, and CD player hooked up to the HT-R520 receiver which came w/ this system. Here is the problem. I turned his sat. receiver on, turned speakers A & B on, set the bass, and treble, set the speakers to "loud", and the sub to "double-bass". Everything sounded excelent. The front left and right speakers were loud, clear and crisp. I was a little disappointed with the bass output, but I do understand that a reception from cable or satelite just doesn't put out the thump that a DVD will. (I have a Kenwood system myself.)
...and to the problem...
After a couple of minutes of listening, we started hearing a little bit of intermittent crackling. The crackling got worse and worse as time went by. I then turned off the receiver for a minute or so, turned it back on...no crackling...a minute or 2 later...crackling begins and gradually increases.

Any ideas? His audio cables and speaker wire aren't "top of the line", but they worked fine on his old setup.

Thanks for any help, and sorry that was so long.

Ross

Username: Ross87t

Post Number: 3
By the way. From what everyone has said about the 770's bass, it leads me to believe this low bass is not normal.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2339
Are there speakers hooked up to the B speaker termnals? Is the crackling present on any type of input, or is it isolated to one particular equipment? Just the DVD or the Cable or the tuner?

If you have ruled out the outside equipment, then, that crackling is not normal and if it is not introduced by any other electronics that is attached to the Onkyo. This unit need to be exchanged for a new undamaged receiver.

good luck

Eh...
Unregistered guest
I wouldn't turn Speaker B on. Don't turn them on unless if you something connected to Speaker B outputs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us