AV Recievers are from Mars, Subs are from Venus. Me? Earth.

Unregistered guest
I'm knowledgable enough to connect components to my AV Reciever without ever opening the instruction manual. (It's a Yamaha HTR-5650, if it matters to you.) That said, I tend to miss out on any technical details about home theater that goes beyond the realm of common sense. SO, I pose my question:

The reciever has only one input for a subwoofer on its backside. The cable that plugs firmly into that input appears to be the same shape and size of, for example, regular AV cables, like those used for DVD hookups. It works, too. I have a KLH 125 watt subwoofer - the, ah, "Stellar" Series - and it works quite nicely. However, there is a home theater speaker system by Athena Technologies that I am interested in purchasing and I plan on replacing old KLH. Not that it's terrible, mind you, but my KLH... has blue lights under it. So there you have it.

The rear of the Athena sub has just one output called RCA. I would assume the cable I have is an RCA cable, except that the Athena sub's RCA output does not look like the standard push plug that I've got. In fact, it looks more like the screw-on RF type connection you see on the back of a television (ooh, here, let me link you: http://www.hometheatermag.com/loudspeakers/504athena/) Doesn't make much sense to me, but that's why I'm askin'.

Since I would hate to have an entire thread dedidicated solely to my own piddling problem, let me ask the overall question here: Can all subwoofers work with all recievers, and if not, what kinds of connections should brain-deads like me know about?

Thanks for your help and understanding!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2290
That is an RCA input for connecting the subwoofer output on the backside of your receiver.
It may look like an RF connection, but let me assure you that it is not.

And with that system, you can replace the KLH system that you currently have.

cheers and Happy New Year
(can't believe I'm typing with a serious hang over):-(
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us