In wall speaker suggestions

Username: Pvermilyea

Arizona

Post Number: 1
I'm planning on building a home theater room. I'm going to put my speakers in the walls. I find in-wall speaker kits from inwallstore.com for $322 for 5 speakers. I also find in wall speaker pairs for over $1,000. Where is the point of diminishing returns for these products? I'd consider myself to be an average viewer for movies, not a home theater "guru". I don't plan to use these speakers for critical music listening, either. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Sailsonly

Post Number: 12
Check out some of Boston Acoustics in wall speakers, pretty good sound to money ratio. One thing to remember is plan your system for the future, running some extra wires in the walls and using plates to cover the boxes. Always wire with the future in mind. Even if you don't use them now in ten years your layout may change. Videotape and take detailed still pictures of your wires. Use insulation in the walls of the room, buy the type that is for sound as well as heat. Insulate every wall and the ceiling too.

Username: Pvermilyea

Arizona

Post Number: 3
Thanks. I'll check into BA. I hadn't considered them before.
In looking at the in-wall speakers, I never see an in-wall center channel for sale. Some speakers seem to only be offered by the pair. What do people do? Buy an extra pair for the center channel and just save the remaining speaker? (or sell on Ebay?)
I'll probably get an InFocus 4805 pojector, but I'm not sure on what cables I should lay in the ceiling for this (other than AC power of course, and component video) I bought an S video cable, but It's not clear to me what I'd use it for if I plug the VHS player and DVD player into the a/v receiver. Do I need to run audio RCA cables from the a/v receiver to the projector for anything? There's also a plug for an M1 to DVI cable on the projector. What would I need that for?
One last question- the prices for component video cables are all over the place. ($50-450) Got any suggestions on how much is a reasonable amt to spend on a 25' cable? I'm not sure if the differences are just marketing or not...
I'm a home audio enthusiast, but my single-blinded comparisons of $10 interconnects and $75 interconnects on my home audio system have shown me that there's not much of a difference between cables. Besides, with a 2 little kids running around the house playing, you can't hear a thing anyway! :-)
Thanks again for the tips.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us