Which sub and receiver to match Fluance speakers?

Username: Bryanh

Fresno, CA

Post Number: 7
Much as I'd love to step into the world of separates and megabuck speakers, the practical voice inside says now's not the time. :-) I've decided to purchase the Fluance SX-HTB speaker set based on the recommendations from you kind folks. They appear to peak the value-for-money meter.

So which subs and receivers do the same? And are there particular brands or characteristics that better match the Fluance speakers?

Subs: I've seen the $429 SVS sub mentioned here a few times and it looks like a winner. I was hoping to get away for <$250 for a sub though. Are there quality subs out there for that price? I'd guess a phase switch would be necessary, at minimum (I notice the SVS goes one step further with a phase dial). Sound quality is paramount here, but I'd still like it to be able to swing down way low when called upon...

Receivers. I've heard people recommending particular receivers for certain speakers. What's this based upon? I've been looking at things like the Onkyo 502, HK 235, and Denon 1804. I think the HK is my pick for the moment but I need to get more in depth knowledge to know if it's the one (I just think it looks nice and has some neat features, as well as a reputation for sound quality).

So if you were looking to maximize your aural pleasure without breaking the bank, what sub and receiver would you choose for your Fluance speakers?

Username: Bryanh

Fresno, CA

Post Number: 8
Oh, and when ordering the Fluance speakers, would I be wise to opt for the banana plug upgrade? What about the 12-gauge (crikey!) speaker wire?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2156
Bryan,
Don't worry about the banana plugs, you can purchase them separately for cheaper. Or you can just use bare wire to hook them up. You can also purchase speaker wires separately.
SVS is a nice choice for subs, you can also look at velodyne.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us