Need smallish, silver, good quality speakers

Anonymous

Hi Everyone.

I have the TV (Samsung 61" DLP) but now need some speakers. I don't want the stonehenge look. The wife acceptance factor is pretty important here.

I have yet to buy my receiver, but I need silver in that too.

What brands should I be looking at for my speakers? Ideally, I'll spend $2K or less for speakers/receiver combo.

"The Look" is very important here. The three fronts will be on the wall, with the two rears on the ceiling. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Username: Edison

Post Number: 323
This is about the only good sounding silver one I know of - B&W Lm1 or Vm1 - try to hund down a B&W Hifi shop and hear them. They look good, and sound upfront. Comes in 5 colors.

You can try to locate a dealer in your area here:

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.dealer

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.speakertypes&keyword=boo kshelf

You can google search the web for reviews on them.

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 69
Anon:

There are some new speakers from NHT called the L-5s, which are made to match the larger plasma and DLP TVs They are all aluminum, mount directly to the wall and are only 5" deep. They are stunning to look at and sound stunning, too I recently priced them at $375 each from Kief's (go to www.kiefs.com, where you can get the phone number and call Ed, the sales manager). The MSRP is $550 each. Here is a picture and a description of the speakers from the NHT website:

http://www.nhthifi.com/2004/products/product_detail.asp?ProductLineID=2&ProductI D=85

These are a huge improvement over the B+Ws suggested by James Lee (who probably hasn't even seen these yet as they are very new). I have heard the B+Ws and they are no where near the quality of your Samsung (I have lusted after one of those DLP sets for over six months now--they are truly stunning to watch). But check out the NHTs, which will fit your price range easily.

Silver receivers are very hard to find in the US, and most of those are pretty poor mass brands using junk parts. However, I believe the new Marantz line is available in silver and would be a very good match to the NHTs. Look for the Marantz 5400 in your price range. Alternatively, check out the NAD L70 at DMC Electronics. It has superb sound and received a number of very good write-ups in the HT and audio magazines. It also only comes in silver and it has a built in DVD player, as well. Best of all, it is a very simple HT receiver and DVD player to operate, so you and your wife would not have to spend a lot of time setting it up. Last I looked, DMC was asking $599 for it. Check it out on the DMC website under "NAD Specials" at www.dmc-electronics.com.

Good luck!

Username: Discoshrew111

Post Number: 6
www.orbaudio.com...there are a few reviews in the Speakers bulletin board. They are by far the best, fullest sounding small speakers I have ever heard. Made of steel and will look awesome w/ a DLP like that.

Username: Discoshrew111

Post Number: 7
The orb audio speakers come in polished steel, by the way. Link above did not come out right. www.orbaudio.com

Chasmo
Unregistered guest
I agree check out www.orbaudio.com. They are awesome sounding and beautiful in appearance.

HDC
Unregistered guest
Do a google search on "Mirage Omnisat review" The Omnisats are excellent speakers that come in a variety of colors including platinum. To fit into your $2K budget, go with the Omnisat Micro series (cheaper smaller version of Omnisat). Can't help you with the receiver in silver. JVC has some newer ones in silver for around $500 that are OK
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us