Digital Cable PIP w/Pioneer Plasma

Username: Jbishop637

Post Number: 1
I did a search of the forum and found one post back in Dec 03 asking the same question but no responses.

Anyone know how to setup pic-in-pic with a digital cable box?

Username: Os2dude

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 10
On my HDTV, the PIP has it's own SD tuner, but needs a seperate input.

If your cable box IS the tuner and your TV just a 'monitor', then I'd say you'd need a second cable box for the PIP input.

If your cable box is NOT the tuner, then you should be able to split the ouput and run one to your main and one to the PIP input.

In my case, I receiveing OTA and split the antenna lead as above. I can only use PIP when I'm in SD mode, not in HD mode.

Post Number: 2
Thank you for your reply. Just so folks know, I have the Pioneer PDP-5030HD. Straight from the spec sheet: Dual - 181 Channel NTSC tuners with split screen capability. When I had this hooked up to my analog cable service I was able to get the split screen functioning. But when I switched to digital cable service, I am unable to get split screen functioning. Anyone have a solution?

Bronze Member

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 11
First: What is your issue? 'Doesn't work' is a bit vague.

My HDTV has both a NTSC and ATSC tunner, the ATSC is for the digital HD, the NTSC is for analog SD. My PIP can ONLY use NTSC, and only when the main screen is ALSO set to SD NTSC. If I select my HD input, my PIP is disabled.

Is your PIP capable of D-TV as well?

johnm
Unregistered guest
When you switched to digital cable service, were you required to get a cable box?

Post Number: 3
When I activate the split screen function, only one of the two screens shows a picture. The other screen has 'snow'.

It appears that my problem is that my Pioneer has only the NTSC tuner. The digital picture that I get comes through the digital cable box.

I had a feeling that this was my issue but I was hoping someone had a solution for it other than having to get another digital cable box.

Post Number: 4
Hi johnm,

Yes, I had to get the cable box in order to receive the digital and HD signals.

Bronze Member

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 12
If you're still getting SD programming over your cable as well as D-TV, can you put in a splitter before the cable box and run one to the box and the other to your PIP input? You may be able to at least see SD programming on your PIP.

johnm
Unregistered guest
Looks like you may have to go the two cable box route. Or you can see if your cable company makes a dual tuner box.
Last resort would be to use the cable box for one picture and an antenna for the other picture. You'd be stuck with local channels for one picture however.

marge
Unregistered guest
we were about to purchase a pioneer plasma tv until we read about "burn in"..My husband is in finance and watches the stockmarket channel ticker tape for many hours a day....I guess we are not good candidates for a plasma.....any suggestions please

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1830
try the LCD TVs, not as prone to "burn in".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us