Can i hook a car amp up to my home stereo?

Username: Jdaddy61

Post Number: 1
I have a small 100watt rockford fosgate punch and i would like to know if it is possible to run it through my RCA home stereo. If any one knows plz tell me how to do it and what i need to do it!!TY

Silver Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 154
not worth your time and money.

it's possible, but it would cost you a couple of hundred bucks for the power supply's and/or batteries. that little rockford is not really worth all that trouble.

ps: this is a home amplifier forum, please post all future car amp questions in the car amp forum.

Anonymous

Is there a cheap way of hooking it up?

Bronze Member
Username: Music_man

Post Number: 27
Cyrus, what if your car is your home? Hehe.

If you have an old computer, you can take the power supply out of that. I BELIEVE it was frank that gave an awesome tutorial on how to do that. He gave a link in one of his posts.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 425
fryguy had a good one too.

Bronze Member
Username: Music_man

Post Number: 28
yea, im sorry, im not sure who it was. i was looking for it, but i couldnt find it.

Anonymous

too bad there isnt an adapter of some sort i could just plug into an outlet

Anonymous

Theres plenty of ways to hook that up in your house, i have two audiobahn flame Q's, and a 600 watt kenwood amp Go to a car store and pick up a power converter, or battery charger and run your positive and remote wire to the positive of the power source. and you can either run the negative from the amp to something grounded in your house or right off the negative on the power supply. but befor you get all jumpy you have to run a low audio input to your amp, unless it has a high input built in. if you run a high ouput to your amps low line, you'll fry the thing after awhile. But yes its possible.

Anonymous

And if you want to get cheap, you can take a power supply off a game cube or playstation ect... Look at the adapter and make sure it transfers your 120AC volts into a 12-or-12.5DC power. most do, And it should show you on the adapter wich is positive and negative. then run the positive and negative to the amp and take a little wire and run it from the remote to the positive. you be able to crank it to the max off that rockford, but it'll sound real good. plus if it cuts out, unplug the power supply and wait a minute, then plug it back in. but if that happens, turn either the input down a bit or the amp itself.

Post Number: 2
hey man i know virtually nothing about hooking up amps...i just bought this one off a friend. So if you could make it a lil easier to understand thatd be great..aol IM is jddtmj and email jddtmj@aol.com thank you

Post Number: 3
this lil rockford has a switch for full-80 lp crossover...left and right imput....left and right gain...a square with for quarters(looks like u could plug sumthin in)...and the left and right + and - and b+(?) and GND...If you could explain usin these thatd be awesome

Anonymous

Hey, I hooked an car amp up to my home stereo but everytime I put the bass up it cuts off, why? It's a FlameQ 1800 watts peak and the amp 1800 watts peak. I put it on a 25 amp power converter ac to dc. If I add a capacitor do you think that will help, I have a 2 farad? If I add the capacitor, I can connect a ground from the capacitor to the power converter and another from the capacitor to the amp right? Thanks.

Username: Systemgenius

Post Number: 1
justin i have experience in this and its easy.take a piece of wire and screwit down to the remote wire terminal run the other end to the positive power terminal on the amp.do u know those plugs that look like a box that plug into a wall. if u find one look at the plug and if it says output dc 12v then u can use it. cut the end of it of and strip the wireconnect the - to the negative screw on the amp and the positive on the positive screw on the amp and make sure the remote wire is under the screw with the positive wire. if u dont have rca hookups on the back of your stereo the cut the end off of an rca cord and connect the positive with positive and the negative with the negative wire on a speaker wire from the back of the stero depending on how many speakers or subs. warning though unless u have some sort of shut off switch hookes to the amp then unplug the amp after every usage.

Post Number: 4
ty brandon seems simple enough...one question tho.
When you say take a wire and screw it donw the the remote wire terminal... im not sure what u mean...the screws on this are labeled left -+ and right -+ B+ and GND..which if any do i use...there is also a prong on the left of these that says REM could that be it??? ty for ur help it is much appretiated

justin S Snell
Unregistered guest
I tried it and it started out humming is that natural??

Anonymous

MERINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE

zook
Unregistered guest
just put a car cd player in your house that way you can get two amps one for the subs and the other for the speakers

Unregistered guest
hey ppl,
ive tried to do this as well, using the headphone socket on my computer(pretty quiet signal so is basically a low output). I got one of those 3.5mm jack to RCA adapters as i had a spare Longmill PRXIV amp.

I had a power supply handy, a bench type one with 12vdc,3amps. But the power light on the amp dims when the volume is turned up or on heavy bass. The amp has a 30amp fuse, should i use a supply with a higher current? Shoudl i mod a pc power supply, and wheres the guides for this you are tlking of?????

Unregistered guest
Hello,

I also suffer from the same problem and would appreciate it if someone helps me out.

I have a car amplifier which I use at home, it's connected to a couple of speakers, the power source I use is an old PC power supply, I connected the DC 12V+ wire of the amplifier to the DC 12V+ wire of the power supply and the negative wire from the amplifier to the negative side of the power supply. It really works well, sounds good and all but the power isn't enough, you see my amplifier requires 12V 15A but the power supply only gives 12V 7A. Someone told me that I can modify the power supply to get what I want, he said I can use another power supply (which I already have) and connect the positive wire from one PS to the negative of the other or something like that, I didn't understand well. Do you know anything about this? Is there anything else I can use to get the power I need?

Thank you.

Unregistered guest
hi did it all total worked fine

the i desoided to put in the car and put the wire the wrong way round box blow the lot :-(
amp non stop smoking

Bronze Member
Username: Pimpzeus

United States

Post Number: 22
I gave the tutorial on the computer power supply

Bronze Member
Username: Ww_dagger

Vancouver, WA USA

Post Number: 16
OK, do you want a real live, picture proven, working example of what to do?

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/168117.html

/GG
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us