Running car amp off of AC house current: Pics inside!

Username: Ww_dagger

Vancouver, WA USA

Post Number: 6
Well, I finally found the DC powersupply that is perfect for me and my amp. It's continuous at 90amps. I soo love the new bass to my MP3'z. It's almost beyond overkill, my 300 watt sony AV reciever struggles to keep up with this car component setup at its lowest gain settings. Pretty overkill, which is how I like it. Thanks for thoes who attempted to answer my questions I had before doing this... Anyway comment away!

Vancouver, WA USA

Post Number: 7
Pfttt... image size exceeded... lets try this again...

Upload
Upload
Upload

Vancouver, WA USA

Post Number: 8
The speakers are JL Audio 15" 15W6 Pro's. The amp is a Phoenix Gold MS2125. Pictures in the hallway have already been knocked off from vibrations LOL.

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 291
its creative

Bronze Member
Username: Kazi

Dover, Deleware

Post Number: 51
What would possess you to do that? Even though its hilarious. Wish i could do that to my dorm room on base.

Vancouver, WA USA

Post Number: 9
"What would possess you to do that? Even though its hilarious. Wish i could do that to my dorm room on base."

Well, I purchased a new vehicle and this equipment won't fit in the new car so instead of selling it off for grossly depreciated prices, I decided to continue enjoying it in another capacity. It seems even louder and deeper inside the house than in my old truck. As far as attaching it all to a carpeted piece of plywood and mounting it to the wall, I just thought that was cool (and saves space). It gets lots of attention from my friends when they visit. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4768
I'm surprised you don't have thieves trying to break into your dorm.
Had you mounted that under a table, close to the sub, would've made it stealthy like.

Vancouver, WA USA

Post Number: 10
"I'm surprised you don't have thieves trying to break into your dorm.
Had you mounted that under a table, close to the sub, would've made it stealthy like."

Well, it's not a dorm, it's a house, in a good neighboorhood, protected by Mr. Brinks and Mr. Mossburg just incase.

Bronze Member
Username: Nocc1n

US

Post Number: 73
Thats gotta be the most awesome thing ive ever seen lmao. And nice protection haha

Bronze Member

Vancouver, WA USA

Post Number: 11
I have gotten several personal messages about where I got the power supply, price, etc. so I'm just going to post here publicly. I searched for HOURS to find this guy.
http://www.solarseller.com/
I got it from him for an even $300.00 which is the lowest I was able to find anywhere (they range all the way up to $580.00!) He special ordered it for me right from Iota with fast shipping for $10. He even threw a few coins back at me to pay for my phone call to him LOL. Very cool guy to do business with. Give him a call!

Here is Iota's website with the PS info on it:
http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls90.htm

So far it's worked great. The phoenix gold amp I'm using is very oldskool and it's user manual states that it draws 60amps continous and peaks up to 100 amps. So far the Iota PS has been able to handle it's demands without a hitch. It's sooo much better than a non-switching supply (Astron for example).

Silver Member
Username: Caraudio

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 280
id of loved to do that but thing is i ahve alot of glass fictures so i dont wana risk anything getting beat down by my parents lol.

Bronze Member
Username: Yada

Post Number: 26
damn thing outputs 90 amps at 13.6v, pretty impressive. I am running similar setup but with a cheap Power supply 12v @ 20amps for like $6 + $5 shipping lol. I don't think I want anything louder than +20amps. That's just insanely a lotta bass :-)

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 442
Bass is overrated.

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 161
i have a little duel 340 maxx power amp i was givin after i changed out an install to a W7....he gave me the amp and a 10inch audiobahn sub. i have it in a little ported box. hooked up to the amp. i just used a spare powersupply from my computer stuff...i just snipped some of the wires off an capped them....it doesn't sound the best but it was free and it works for music on the computer and games and such!!

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 604
Well, I think this proves something. A good home audio subwoofer, sure it can rattle things on the walls, but I think this proves that CAR bass is overrated.

Why would audio producers make home audio gear to give loud bass, but not to the point of reaching levels of 160dB? Don't you find that remotely funny?

My dad had a pair of PSB 15" home audio subwoofers running from his Carver M-1.0t a while back. Sure, they had power, but you know, if you put that same combination in a car situation, where the listening area is even MORE confined, and bass is held in easier, those two subwoofers wouldn't have compared to something equally powerful in design/quality, as far as rattling things and so forth, and overall loudness.

So...IMO, I think car bass is a little crazy at points. Seriously though, if you think about it, I've never heard of people hitting these crazy amounts of dB with their home gear. Not even with some of the most powerful drivers, Klipsch Horn-Loaded Drivers. Those in particular have DAUNTING SPL outputs, with very little power applied, but you know what? It's not, 150-180dB.

And this is why car gear is ALL overrated.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 443
I meant;

Bass is overrated because after all it is just a piston vibrating in and out to create higher pressure (SPL).

For some, they get over it as soon as they have a decent setup that produces enough bass to get the point accross. For others it takes a lot longer. It may be that there may be something lacking in their life, so they take some things to the extreme to make up for whatever is missing.

IMO, speakers are and should be designed to reproduce exactly the same sound as it was recorded. Anything that does not meet these parameters should be disqualified.

Take a camera or a picture for instance; If the camera doesnt capture the image correctly and or the picture doesnt come out just like the original image, then it defeats its purpose.

What good is a speaker that plays extremely loud, if it doesnt sound good. Its kinda like a bad bo0ob job. Comon guys I know you can back me up on this one lol...............

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 605
I'm out, never gotten one of those...

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 444
Well, I think we as men are ideal judges when it comes to bo0ob jobs. If we give it the thumbs down, then it defeats the purpose. It doesnt matter if the onwer thinks they look good. Why would a girl get a bo0ob job if she wasnt trying to impress others. Same principal here. If the speaker isnt doing what it should, then it becomes something less. In other words, it defeats the purpose to have an extremely loud speaker that doesnt sound good, but it is very loud at only some test tones. Big deal...................

I know it is a strange analogy, but I thought it would be interesting .......... lol

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 445
Mike Carlson,

I am not an electrical engineer, but I see something that I am uncertain about your system there. You may want to ask Glasswolf about this. He will be able to give you better imput on this.

Here it is;

"It's continuous at 90amps."

I see a 110-125 volt power AC cord hooked up to an extension cord that is probably 12 guage or less.

How do you get 90 amps DC from these sources? If I am not mistaken, 110-125 Volts carries only up to a 20 amp breaker. Check your house breaker that you are wired in to. I understand that AC and DC are not the same thing, but I am not certain that you can get 90 amps out what you got goin on over there.

A 220 Volt HVAC usually has a 40-50 amp breaker. A 220 Volt range and a dryer usually have 30-40 amp breakers.

What I am saying is, how does amperage transfer over when going from AC to DC?

This is an interesting question and I am curious to see how this actually works. I do not mean to debunk your system, but I am just inquiring.

Glasswolf take it away..................

Bronze Member

Vancouver, WA USA

Post Number: 12
Mixneffect wrote:
"IMO, speakers are and should be designed to reproduce exactly the same sound as it was recorded. Anything that does not meet these parameters should be disqualified.
Take a camera or a picture for instance; If the camera doesn't capture the image correctly and or the picture doesn't come out just like the original image, then it defeats its purpose."

Mixneffect... your analogy works if your listening to classic country or opera or big band music... but remember nearly half of all modern music isn't just simply recorded from musical instruments, rather it's synthesized (or you can argue a synthesizer is an instrument...). The bass notes a subwoofer system hits isn't usually naturally acquired so saying 'anything that does not reproduce exactly the same sound as it was recorded' doesn't really apply since a lot of music is meant to be reproduced directly from digital sources, never having even seen an initial non-digital existence to be recorded from. So in effect, when outputs are properly adjusted for the music you are playing, the subs should indeed be knocking the house down, OR not, either way depending on how it was intended to be listened to.

I listen to a wide variety of music, and when I'm in the 50's mood, the sub bass notes don't even exist for the subs to reproduce so there isn't much use even turning it on, or if it is on, you should keep it adjusted at lower volume as a minor low end filler for the music, not at bone rattling volumes as you seem to suggest all subwoofers are meant to be played.

Starting in the 80's however, sub bass began widely appearing and up to this day plays a very important part in music as it is intended. This is why there are such things as Dolby 5.1. The .1 channel being the subwoofer. A whole channel dedicated to the sub bass spectrum! What can you even buy these days that isn't recorded in 5.1 channels or more? So when I listen to Techno, R&B, Club, and 30 other music generas, I'm quite glad I have the ability to reproduce the notes my subs can reproduce, at volumes they do, just as these generas intended. When I'm listening to vocal, classical, and other types that don't have sub bass, well, great, although much music WAS actually recorded to have sub bass in it that at the time could not be reproduced as it was intended to be listened to until sub woofers came along (cannons in the 1912 overture for example). So either way, subs win, and bass is only overrated when you have small man syndrome and crank it in your car for the sole purpose to turn heads or just to have an excuse to visit that sexy ear doctor.

Bronze Member

Vancouver, WA USA

Post Number: 13
Mixneffect wrote:
"What I am saying is, how does amperage transfer over when going from AC to DC?"

Well, I am no electrical engineer myself but if I were to guess at the answer, I would say it's all in the capacitors. The AC extension cord is rated for 15 AMPS (if I remember correctly, just bought it) and the power supply specs say it can pull up to 21 Amps AC. It's nothing more than controlled electrical surges. My only concern is weather or not the AC ripple is low enough to not worry about. It's spec says <150 mV rms ripple, but I have no idea if that is good or not. Glasswolf? :-)

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 375
mixneffect, remember he's also stepping down the voltage to 12v. After the power supply, he'll be getting about 10x the amperage versus that of 120V.

amperage x voltage = wattage

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3883
All I can say is there is NO way you'd ever be able to pull 90 amps from that. Do you even understand how any of it works, or did you just hook all the crap up and start thumping?

Bronze Member

Vancouver, WA USA

Post Number: 14
OK, to Joe Smoe, the following is directly copied off the Phoenix Gold website:
http://www.phoenixgold.com/webfaq/MS_MPS.htm

"The reason for all the power wiring overkill is a matter of basic ohm's law. For example a MS2125, will TRY to double its power and make about 1,000 watts. However, the size of the amp's power supply will only allow it to make about 720 watts. To make that much power, the power supply MUST have adequate amounts of current. How much? At max undistorted output with typical music material, about 65 amps continuous with peaks (< 50 milliseconds) of around 100 amps. Any amount of resistance in the power or ground side of the circuit restricts current flow. If we restrict current flow then the voltage at the amp's B+ and B- terminals will sag when heavy bass notes hit. And when the voltage sags so does output power."

So to me, it seems I'm about right on for matching a power supply with this amplifier. It also seems to me that you are envious of my power supply.

I have already admitted I'm only an amateur at car audio, but I do understand the basics. If you want to talk about semiconductor engineering on the other hand, give me a ring.

P.S. I don't think JL Audio and Phoenix Gold are "crap". Last time I looked online, there were more want ads than for sale ads for this amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us