Archive through January 17, 2006

Smallville's finest
Unregistered guest
I have the same issues as everyone else here with the auto programming the channel 3 skips over completely and i turned it off like I read to do so. I don't have the remote. Is there anyway to get this fixed?

Smallville's finest
Unregistered guest
I have the same issues as everyone else here with the auto programming the channel 3 skips over completely and i turned it off like I read to do so. I don't have the remote. Is there anyway to get this fixed?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Needmytv, it's likely an intermittent problem in the power supply. This is very commmon on old sets from all manufacturers. The cost to fix depends on how quickly the tech can find the problem and if parts are involved, too.

Username: Pandvwoodrow

Post Number: 1
RCA 27", Screen has a black box hiding almost entire screen, all channels, that I can't get to go away. I have no idea what button or buttons I pressed to make it show up. I know it's parental control ( I think ) but I can't shut it off. Help please.......... thank you

RandyM
Unregistered guest
You have accidentally turned on closed captioning in the text box mode. Go into the main menu and find closed captioning and turn it off.

Unregistered guest
Can't unlock front panel of 27R410T..parental control is stuck on..Help!!!!

tq424
Unregistered guest
Does any one by any chance know the Master Reset
password for RCA TV or have a 1-800 # to RCA that I could call?

Robynn
Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a RCA HDTVmonitor 40 inch. Every so often while watching the TV, it will make some popping noises. Not every day, but often enough to make you concerned. The set is 2 yrs.old.Thanks for any info.

hollie
Unregistered guest
I have an RCA true flat,tv/dvd. The dvd player says no dvd is inserted, when indeed there is one. What could be the problem that it cannot recognize that there is a dvd in it? Please help!!

Unregistered guest
I have an RCA 2000 Guideeplus Gemstar entertainment series tv. The SAP is stuck on but we have the Audio processor set to STEREO.

We don't get volume on anything but # 3, 6, 8 and 13

Any help getting this sorted will be greatly appreciated

SMAK
Unregistered guest
I have a very similar SAP problem, like PaulineG's, with my older RCA TV. It just happened on New Year's Day. The Audio processor is set to stereo and I didn't change any settings.
PAULINEG - When did your problem begin?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
I would pull the ac plug for a few minutes to reset the control system. This will fix many strange problems like you describe. It's always a good first thing to do before calling a servicer.

Tony_from_ SanDiego
Unregistered guest
I Have an RCA 30" TV. Yesterday, the SAP setting switched off unexpectantly and I lost all sound. I can't seem to "switch it" back on using the menu function. I now have no sound except a loud hiss and when I turn to cable channel 58 it tells me that the system is broadcasting in SAP and I need to change the TV setting. I found a temporary work-around where I can play the TV through the VCR and have full sound (the VCR must be SAP capable).

Is this a repairable event?

Is there a way to "force" the TV to switch back to SAP?

Or is the audio processor shot and needs to be replaced?

Please help

Steveva
Unregistered guest
My tv had the same problem today...the SAP was "stuck". Unplug the tv for about 15 - 30 minutes and then plug it back in. That is all it took for me!

Unregistered guest
I have a 1999 RCA 27inch XL100 TV, Model # F27615. While watching it, the sound suddenly got staticy ( nothing occured to cause this). The picture is perfect on all of the channels and on two of the channels the sound as well as the picture is fine. I've tried everything in the menu to do with the audio, I've left if off, unhooked the cable input, tried running a DVD and it's still the same. Is there any repair or replacement that can be done or is the TV shot?

Unregistered guest
Re: SMAK - I have a 27 inch RCA tv that just went haywire like SMAKs. Only a hiss for sound except on channels that have a second audio program. Just happened on 1/2. Too weird, huh? Whats the fix?

Randy O.
Unregistered guest
I Have a 40 inch HDTV that is making snapping or popping noises. Today when I turned it on the picture became distorted as it was popping. Any ideas what is going wrong? Its an RCA, about 18 months old.

Ursachan
Unregistered guest
I have a 36 inch RCA that suddenly got stuck in SAP mode on 01/02/06, as well. I tried all of the "Audio" functions with no result. I unplugged the TV for about five minutes and the problem was gone (thanks, RandyM and Steveva). Anybody have any idea what glitch caused this to happen to everyone on this particular day?

sherlock
Unregistered guest
I find it too strange that all these RCAs had similar SAP problems on the same day. Bad coding, maybe? Or a programmers joke?

Anonymous

what the hcll same rca sap problem on the same day real funny

terena
Unregistered guest
I had the same problem with the static sound on my rca tv, happened about 9 o'clock this morning. funny thing is i have two rca tv's and only one went out (just happened to be the bigger one). anyways, i unplugged it for a few minutes like a few of you said and now it works. Thanks for the help!!

chintu504
Unregistered guest
The SAP thing happened to me tooo(RCA TV 1999 model)..on 1/1/06....weird that lots of people have the same problem...
Found a temporary work around:I can play the TV through the DVD Player.

Unregistered guest
Hi, i have a 1 year old rca tru flat 27 " tv. It stays on for no more than 1 min. then the picture starts to shake then turns black. Everytime i turn it on it does this but sometimes when i turn it on the screen stays black but the audio comes on. Any ideas of what type of part is needed??
Thanks, all help is greatly appreciated.

JustMeStan
Unregistered guest
Count me in for the SAP problem also. Just noticed it today. RCA 36", so I don't think the size matters, perhaps the "RCA" part does.

Anonymous

very strange, I don't know what this SAP problem is everyone is talking about, but early this morning the sound went out on my tv, and it is static on every channel. At first I thought it was a problem with the cable, but then we tried watching a tv and we still experienced the static. The person that suggested unplugging your tv for a bit was right, it fixed the problem. Very strange...

Username: Hello

Post Number: 2
oops I meant to say we tried watching a dvd and it was still static. Seems like too many people experienced this for it to be a coincidence

Unregistered guest
Too strange. Our 27" 2000 RC TV got stuck on SAP tonight as well. I have the audio processor set on Stereo, but I only get sound on the channels that have SAP programs. All other channels have a hissing noise. I've unplugged the TV and will let it sit for awhile and see if it miraculously resets. This is odd that it's happening to many people at the same time.

jenjen3456
Unregistered guest
This is really odd. Our 27" RCA also got stuck in SAP on 1/2/05. We had already written off the TV as broken. We actually ordered a new TV. (flatscreen plasma!) Then I searched to see if others had similar problems. I have counted 7 others on this site.... and it happened on the same day.... strange coincidence? Anyway, I unplugged it for a couple minutes and plugged it back in as suggested. Now it works perfectly.

Tony_from_ SanDiego
Unregistered guest
Follow up on the SAP Problem. I tried unplugging the TV for a period of time.

It worked for a day and the hissing is back.

Again, the TV switched off the Stereo SAP audio processor. No matter how much I try to reset the audio processor with the menu feature, no changes take effect.

IS THIS A REPAIRABLE PROBLEM? OR DO I CHUCK THE TV OUT?

terena
Unregistered guest
I also had the SAP problems the other day with the hissing noise on all but one channel. I unplugged the tv (which worked) and now two days later the tv is acting up again. If I unplug it for a few it works for a while but then has a relapse. Anyone else having this same problem?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Folks, don't "chuck" any tvs! There is a widespread issue with bad data from Gemstar that is causing Guide tvs to act strangely. Some issues can be resolved by simply removing ac power for a few minutes, but it might come back if the bad data continues. People are working on this and hopefully a resolution will be quick in coming.

Anonymous

OMG I have the 36" RCA and it started the sound problem about a week ago. Unpluging it is a temp fix but it would come back over time ever day. Since the DVD worked fine we thought it was Dish Net work! We bought a new receiver today. Wont that suck if it is the TV. Any one who know please keep us up to date.

Unregistered guest
We are having the same issue with Sap which began tonight. We have the tv unplugged as suggested and we will see what happens. I know this happened a few years ago and I cant recall what we did to correct it or if it corrected on it's own.

Anonymous

We have a 52" RCA and it started a sound problem on December 25, 2005. We unplugged it and the sound was restored. The sound stayed on until Sunday, January 1, 2006, and then it acted up again and we unplugged it once again. Then Today it went out and we unplugged it, the sound came back. (Only this time it went out about 3 times in a matter of 1 hour.) (We also just recently hookedup to the Dish Network.) Do you think there is something wrong within the TV or something else? Does anyone have any ideas?

Anonymous

Having the exact same problem with the SAP stuck for the past 2 days (RCA XL 100). No volume on most channels - just a hissing sound and narration added to all programs you can actually hear. So strange that this is happening to so many people on the same date.

Chief6
Unregistered guest
Our 36" RCA started the hissing noise problem about a week ago too. The unplugging/plugging fixes it until...we turn the channel to Spike TV. If we leave the TV tuned to Spike, after a few minutes we get a small horizontal static line, another minute goes by and the hissing begins again. It hasn't happened on any other channel that we watch.

TVdrivingmemad
Unregistered guest
Also having sound problems with 32 inch PIP RCA TV. At first I had just static for audio. I unplugged it for a few minutes and when I tried it again the sound worked fine. The second time the audio went out all I could hear was a popping noise when I increased/decreased the volume. Again I unplugged it and when I plugged it back in it worked fine. It has done this three or four times in the last couple of days. I find it really strange that so many people are experiencing the same problem. I just hope that the problem doesn't get worse!!!!

Unregistered guest
There seems to be an ongoing problem with 27" RCA TV's with the SAP getting stuck on (even if you never turned it on)! To fix this just unplug your set for about 5 minutes and then plug it back in. It may get stuck again in the future, mine did, but it worked both times. I hope this helps all who have this problem.

Happy New Year to all!

Username: Lilcox

Post Number: 3
My tv (27inch Rca) is doing the same thing the sound went out on new years day. I'll try unplugging and see what happens. RandyM are you sure that its a problem with Gemstar? If so should we all contact them and make a complaint?

Lynn S.
Unregistered guest
We have an RCA model F32645 and on January 3rd our tv became static about 9:30 pm. We were watching a movie on spike TV. We unplugged it and after a few minutes it worked again. This happened the next night at the same time (Spike TV) but last night my husband was watching a different channel when it did the same thing. A few years ago this happened and eventually it fixed itself. That time it only went on for one day though. My husband feels there may be a conspiracy to get everyone to shop for new TV's. We are hanging in there.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
All,
Read my post above. It is caused by bad data streams from Gemstar. Everyone at Gemstar and RCA is fully aware and working to resolve the problem. In the meantime, unplugging your set for a few minutes will provide a temporary fix.

Unregistered guest
My RCA Guide Plus Gemstar lost its picture. This has happened before and then just whimsically it would come back on. I am in day four now of no picture and hope you can help.

Anonymous

I posted yesterday about our 36" RCA with the sound problem as well. We got and hooked up the new dish network receiver. It happened again last night with the new receiver when my husband was watching SPIKE TV as well. Unplugging helps but just till we watch SPIKE TV again. That is so strange!!!!!!!!!

Post Number: 4
RandyM or anyone with the knowledge, can you please tell me why my view window in my guide plus isn't showing up? Thank You RandyM for your knowledge, you saved me and others alot of money.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Lorraine, Is it just black where the window should be? Or does the Guide just spread over the entire screen?

Post Number: 5
RandyM, It's just black where the window should be.

SMAK
Unregistered guest
I unplugged it yesterday, it worked, and now it's back again. Should've stuck with the same concept of cars...stick with Japanese for less trouble. As RandyM said they are aware of the problem. I just hope they fix it soon, because it's pretty annoying.
Thanks for the info RandyM.
Thanks to everyone who mentioned the temporary fix.

Raleigh
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have the contact name/email for Gemstar where we can barrage the company for resolution??

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Ok, that's a good sign. Are you tuned to a valid channel before you press the Guide button? As you move in the Guide, does the window try to change channels at all?

SMAK
Unregistered guest
Spike TV does seem to be the channel, or at least one of the channels, that causes the SAP problem. I have ReplayTV (Tivo-like) and it happens each time I play the recorded show on Spike TV. All other channels I've recorded doesn't cause a problem like Spike TV.

Post Number: 6
actually the window isn't available i misunderstood your question. there is nothing where the window should be it's like the view window don't exist. Sorry for the screw-up. It's been like this ever since I bought the tv. "2001" I have a 54" that works just fine but it's not RCA.

Unregistered guest
I have been reading all the posts about RCA TV's and of course mine did the same thing about 3 days ago with the SAP being stuck on. I have unplugged the TV and all is well for the time being. My TV is not a 27 inch however it is a 19 inch so it is happening even to the smaller sets with GuidePlus. Hopefully Gemstar will fix this soon.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Models that did not have PIP, did not have the view window in the Guide. Does your model have PIP? If not, it will not have the view window.

Post Number: 7
Thanks RandyM for clearing this up for me mine doesn't have pip.

Unregistered guest
mine's having the SAP problem. gonna try leaving it off for a while and see if it starts doing it again. it happened *TADA* new years eve. its a guidestar plus pip 27" i think is the screen size. just know that i spent 2 hours the next day looking to see what might have caused it. i unplugged it in hopes to reset it but my roommate must have come and plugged it back in right after i left to take my gf home.

CRNEWMAN
Unregistered guest
I have a GE 52 inch projection TV and the SAP function automatically switched also this week. I have Guide Plus but that did not allow me to switch back to stereo. We did unplug the TV and it worked the first time now when we unplug it and plug it back the stereo only lasts for maybe five minutes and switches back to SAP. I've read the posts and just needed to clarify for myself if the fix from Gemstar is for the Guideplus and not the TV model itself (RCA or GE)? Thanks SO Much.

Username: Dewane

The most annoying part of all this is that NOWHERE on the RCA web site site does it say anything about this. I checked the FAQs in Support and nothing. Of course if you call their 800 number (877) 766-2728 you get nothing. Luckily Comcast knew about it and the rep told me. I'm still not able to get audio on a few a channels but before that, just static. Mine just went out while I was watching it, like a cable glitch or something.

Do they think that if they are quiet the problem will go away? What are they thinking about exactly? There are a lot of TV companies out there and we're not getting an RCA next time I'll tell you that.

Username: Cable_dog

Raleigh, NC USA

Post Number: 4
The problem is with the TV!

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Sets built by other manufacturers are also reported with the same audio issues due to the bad data. It is not a problem with RCA or the tv.

kat858
Unregistered guest
My RCA still does this (SAP problems) every so often, but I have never used the guide plus on the set. Would it still cause the problem? I still just use the quick fix, unplug and plug it back in. Also, does anyone know how to reset the parental control? My son set it and does not remember the code.

Thanks for the help!

CanadaMan
Unregistered guest
we have a colortrak rca model ekr339fr anyway of setting up new channels to be accepted. I can t find the manuel.
tks

Username: Dewane

Post Number: 2
Cable Tech said:

- The problem is with the TV!

Exactly the point! The way it went out it appeared to be a cable problem. When you're just sitting there and the audio goes to pure static, and a few channels are saying that you need to set the SAP back to normal, what would be your first thoughts? Exactly, cable problem.

Hard to figure out it's a TV problem. RCA hasn't said anything about this epidemic problem.

Which other TVs have this problem? Any TVs with Gemstar? The gemstar web site http://www.gemstartvguide.com/ is also a waste of time and space.

Can you tell I'm a bit peeved? ; )

Username: Randyo3629

rca 27" TV mod-f25216bc,chassis-ctc185ab3,built feb'99.
the set has a very high-pitched squeal
and snowy picture when on channels 39 & 40,(tbs & amc).otherwise set works fine.
wiggling the male coax fitting on the rear of set,will cure the problem,but only for a few seconds. it only happens on these two channels and also if connected to another cable elsewhere in the house.
any ideas would be greatly appreciated..thanks

M ark G
Unregistered guest
I also have a RCA 36" TV about 5 years old but and the static "hissing" problem started recently (about a month ago). I unplugged and replugged the TV in and worked okay for a few days. My wife does not watch Spike TV and the TV worked well. I turn on Spike TV and shortly later the static problen starts up again. After unplugging and replugging the TV this time that it works okay but time between being okay and the hissing shortens. I do not use the Gemstar and use a cable box labled Scientific Atlanta. I have had no problems with the SAP that I am aware of. Just wondered if the sound driver or card is corrupted. If is not then I guess Spike TV has to go. Any ideas on how the "Bad Data" can be corrected?

Roger K
Unregistered guest
Verrry interesting...receiving thru local cable, we have a 31" 5 yr old GE model 31GT720YX3 which seems to be stuck on SAP. We can only get audio on 6 channels; the others are like white noise. Switching to English, Stereo Audio, and SAP off does no good. This happened on the Jan 7-8 weekend. Will try shut-off.

Unregistered guest
I wrote in a different thread about the same SAP problem. My TV is a 31" GE. The common denominator? I have Guide Plus. Also, I was watching Shawshank at the time. Just checked yesterdays' TV Guide - it was on, ta-daaa!!! Spike TV. Hmm.... I'm going to unplug it when I get home, see what happens. This board has really been helpful!

Tym
Unregistered guest
My grandma's RCA tv did this last week. I think it's a 24". It does have the Gemstar. I thought she just pressed the wrong button, or maybe the cable provider did something. I went over yesterday and played around with the menu, and the menu system was in French. Had to switch it back to English, and then went through the setup, and somehow that fixed it. But then a few hours later she called, and said the sound was all static again. GRRRR! I'll ask her to unplug it for a few mins. Very annoying.

Tym
Unregistered guest
Unplugging the TV for a few minutes did the trick.

Username: Sparky_dave74

Sap Problem also..
I unplugged TV for 1 hour and TV is OK for a while
Called Thomson (GE and RCA TV support)@1 877-794-7977 and waited for support.. I was told that they were aware of the problem but had no solution at this time... they ask what time and what show I was watching when this 1st happened...

justmeStan
Unregistered guest
Follow up on the TEMP fix. You don't have to unplug the TV for minutes. If you pull the plug and then pop it back in right away, it will also temp fix the problem with the SAP. Spike TV definately seems to be a "trigger" channel.

Tym
Unregistered guest
I'm pretty sure my grandma wasn't watching Spike. And the last time it happened, the tv was off. It was working, she turned it off, came back, turned tv on, and it had the problem.

justmeStan
Unregistered guest
FYI for those who want some contact info from gemstartvguide.com......
Corporate Communication, Marketing & Government Affairs
Eileen Murphy
Senior Vice President for Corporate Communications
(212) 852-7336
eileen.murphy@tvguide.com

Bo Park
VP, Communication & Public Affairs
(212) 852-7589
bo.park@tvguide.com

TV Guide Publishing Group
Allison Bennett
TV Guide magazine
Director, Media Relations
(212) 852-7464
allison.bennett@tvguide.com

TV Guide Channel and TV Guide SPOT
Georgia Juvelis
VP, Communications
(212) 626-2564
georgia.juvelis@tvguide.com

Perhaps enough outrage will spark some interest in fixing this problem.

Unregistered guest
God bless you justmeStan. It amazes me that companies can turn a blind eye to something like this.

H8TVguide
Unregistered guest
Here are more corporate big wigs. The link has names but not email addresses.

http://ir.gemstartvguide.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=111956&p=irol-govManage

H8TVguide
Unregistered guest
Apparently, the contacts that justmeStan published were accurate. I got a response from Bo Park.

"We have forwarded on your email to the appropriate contacts and someone should be getting back to you shortly. Thank you for bringing this to our attention."

He accidentally sent me an email before this (sent to the other recipients) saying that someone in another location was handling it. He then tried to recall that email. Oops.

Unregistered guest
Tym, your grandmother could have been watching MXC. You never know.

H8TVguide
Unregistered guest
Here is the follow up response I got from TV Guide:
Thank you for your report. We've received additional calls/emails from RCA consumers about their TVs "being muted" or going into SAP (secondary audio program, which makes it seem like the TV is muted on some stations).
The GuidePlus interactive program guide however has no means for controlling the audio of televisions. Gemstar has not changed anything in the way of transmitting listings to its program guide either.
In any case we followed up with Thomson/RCA's engineering about these reports. RCA already had engineering resources investigating this issue. Thomson/RCA has confirmed that this problem is *not* a Gemstar guide problem, but an issue with their TVs (including RCA TVs that do not have GuidePlus), probably triggered by a problematic signal from one or more television stations that started airing over the last couple of weeks.
RCA's engineering believes a broadcasted program or ad from a television station across the nation is causing these problems. They are analyzing video taped broadcasts of a few stations; including Spike TV which is the station some consumers are reporting causes their TVs to go into SAP. Once RCA's engineering has pinpointed the problem they will follow up with the Station(s) to correct the issue.
Their call centers in Canada and US are letting people know that RCA is still investigating this problem. The workaround for consumers in the meantime is to unplug their TVs and plug them back into the wall.
Please feel free to refer fellow RCA consumers experiencing this problem to Thomson/RCA's support centers.
RCA's support centers: In the US: 580-634-0151; In Canada 800-522-0338 (English) or 800-522-0445 (French).
We sincerely hope the problem is found soon and that the issue is resolved promptly for RCA consumers.
Cheers,

Josue

Josué Franco

Manager, CE Technical Support

TV Guide On Screen

bob loblaw
Unregistered guest
All you folks with RCA TVs loosing audio, this may help explain what's happenening:

http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/SilentCTC.html

The "problem" can be overcome by applying a simple countermeasure which involves "dumbing down" the tv with the side effect of disabling the closed captioning feature (and any features which rely on the XDS datastream.

bob loblaw
Unregistered guest
All you folks with RCA TVs loosing audio, this may help explain what's happenening:

http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/SilentCTC.html

The "problem" can be overcome by applying a simple countermeasure which involves "dumbing down" the tv with the side effect of disabling the closed captioning feature (and any features which rely on the XDS datastream.

Anonymous

Thanks to all of you for helping me understand or at least try to understand, why our 2000 RCA F27615 has lost most of the audio...we almost dumped it yesterday. Now we have some hope to save it. Our channel 10 ABC, constantly repeats a message to go to menu and click on mono or stereo but none of that works...it is SO frustrating! Please keep us all informed and I will also.

Anonymous

Thanks to all of you for helping me understand or at least try to understand, why our 2000 RCA F27615 has lost most of the audio...we almost dumped it yesterday. Now we have some hope to save it. Our channel 10 ABC, constantly repeats a message to go to menu and click on mono or stereo but none of that works...it is SO frustrating! Please keep us all informed and I will also.

Unregistered guest
Bob, your post was very informative, thanks. Did you notice the newsletter is from June 2001? Can they be having the same problem again? Wouldn't that be World-Record incompetence? Whatever they did to cause this problem, at least I know I don't need to buy a new TV yet.

Unregistered guest
Spike TV did it to me!My 27" RCA has been pretty good but lately when we put on Spike TV the audio cuts out and we unplug for a few minutes and it resets audio.Personally I believe Kenny Blankenship,Vic Romano and Guy LeDouche are behind this with that state of the art dubbing that's second to none.HA HA.LOL RCA I FIND O.K GOD BLESS AMERICA.

bob loblaw
Unregistered guest
Dasbow, I only recently came accross the article from 2001. As an authorized service center for RCA/GE products we had many instances of this phenomenon way back then. I don't recall any reliable information as to the cause at the time and the problem seemed to go away. One comment I read alluded to some legislation which mandated 100% of programming being offered with closed captioning after Jan 1, '06. but that is total heresay. Many service shops will now be aware that adding a small capacitor to the microprocessor circuit will solve the problem but will also defeat the CC features. Many folks won't care and it will be trivial to remove if they ever get this sorted out.
Best Wishes...

CCvideo data
Unregistered guest
Still no news from RCA on when, or how this will be fixed.
As Bob has said, if you dont care about Closed Caption, and Parental Channel Lock, any competant service tech, with a schematic for your TV, can clip out the capacitor that feeds the offending signal to your TV's control chip. (pin 15 for the RCA TVs)

deerfarmer
Unregistered guest
More fuel for this fire... Our RCA tv is about 5 years old and we have had no problems with it. We upgraded to a new dvr from dish network about 2 months ago and since that time occasionally the audio would go away. Unplugging would clear the problem but last night instead of going mute there was loud static. Unplugged the set and it cleared for about 15 minutes. Several unplugs later it was still static. I ran the audio from the dvr to the stereo and we were able to finish the movie. Could the new dvr be causing this problem?
Thanks to all who have provided valuable assistance here.

Ken

bob loblaw
Unregistered guest
Ken: Your TV has the same problem as most of the others posting here. I don't think the dvr is at fault. We have had no new news on this from above but I have been hearing that the "fix" has been working well. A 1 uf/50v cap is added from U13101 pin 15 to ground thereby preventing the offending data messing with the sound.

Unregistered guest
I have had this problem before when the tv was about 2 years old. We were told the sound chip was out and had it replaced. In the past few months it has been going out again, this time, last week it went out and never came back on, so we just bought a new tv. I still have the old one in case they ever do fix whatever is going on with the networks!

highland
Unregistered guest
is it usual when i turn on my telly, that a blue curtain opening effect takes place before going to the channel?? any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks in advance..............

poorboy
Unregistered guest
my rca 20" truflat tv (<1 yr old) has a picture problem. occasionally, one spot on the screen starts to turn a greenish color. doesn't happen regularly, and not on all channels. any thoughts?

bob loblaw
Unregistered guest
Highland: What is the model no. of your tv?

Terri
Unregistered guest
Re: RCA 27" model F27664, mfg Dec1999. My message adds no real value - except to say that I live in Indiana and had the same problem with some channels having normal sound and others having only static. It happened 1/13/06 for no apparent reason. Thanks to you - I unplugged it and the problem went away (at least for now). Perhaps the "value" is to lend support for the idea that this probably isn't a problem with the TV itself - since so many are happening all at once. If it weren't for this site, I would have wasted a lot of money trying to get the TV repaired or worse, throwing it out. I thank God that there are helpful, unselfish people in the world who take the time to respond to these cries for help!

n2vhy
Unregistered guest
Same RCA 27" TV sound problem (yr 2000 manuf) in New Jersey. Spike TV may have been the trigger here too. Thanks to all for the unplugging solution. Worked like a charm!

jerome
Unregistered guest
I have an RCA 36 inch TV bought in 2000.
On 01/15/06 lost sound also. Unplugging does not
seem to be working. Rca tells me that because it
does not reset it isn't an SAP issue. I keep
getting different answers from everywhere and
everyone I talk to...from trying to resolve the
issue to replacing the sound board.
WHAT TO DO???

Username: Sharipdx

We unplug our 32" RCA every night so we can watch it the next day. Also, we stopped watching SPIKE TV because it reverts to SAP very quickly when that station's on. Neither Spike nor RCA answered our inquiries and Comcast just suggest the "rebooting" that we are doing. This is ridiculous.

Unregistered guest
i have an 46 in RCA rear projection that the convergence keeps going out of whack anyone know a possible cause sometimes i can correct other times remote wont reset?????

RMack
Unregistered guest
shari

Have you tried turning off the SAP completely in your menu options?
I had the same problem so I did that and it seems to be okay now.

Unregistered guest
My 36" RCA sound keeps going out like everyone else. I have installed a power strip to make the reset easier. The set doesn't seem to be switched to SAP when it does go out though.
The signal (what ever it is) can be recorded on a VCR tape. I have a tape from SPIKE TV from last weekend, and each time it reaches a certain spot, the sound goes out.
Why is it taking so long for the (supposed) PRO's to figure this out??

terena
Unregistered guest
Someone had asked if the SAP problem was with all RCA's or just the ones with guideplus. Well i think it is the ones with guideplus. Unfortunately the only tv's i own are both rca. The small one in my bedroom (without guideplus) has not gave me any trouble at all. However, the larger one (maybe 27") that has guideplus i would love to throw through a wall. This isn't an option since i can't afford a new tv. I'm a bit pissed at RCA right now because my tv has turned into a piece of crap and i will NEVER buy another rca tv!!!!! Hopefully someone figures out the problem soon. This board is great and thanks to everyone who is working to solve the problem for others.

carguy66n
Unregistered guest
I have a RCA 32" tv with Guide Plus. I am having trouble with the sound going to static like everyone else. This has been happening for several months now and seems like its getting worse. It all started with the Speed Channel (speedvision). It's to the point that I cant even turn my tv to that channel because the sound goes to static almost instantly. And now, with in the past couple of months or so, the Discovery Channel is getting the same way! The sound goes to static, I unplug the tv, plug it back in and a minute or two later it goes to static again. What a P.O.S.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us