New System?

Username: Thecrypt

Post Number: 1
Well, I'm starting from scratch as all I have is a 6 year old Magnavox TV and an antenna to go with it that barely works. I also have radios but that's not my A/V system.

I just moved into a new house and would like to build a dedicated home theater room, a great home theater for the kids and neighbors, etc.

I've been looking at some stuff and wondered what I should be looking at.

Here's what I was thinking in terms of just items, not brands.

The Room
I intend to play movies and music at a pretty good level when I'm in the room and have heard that a good room will keep the sound in the room and keep sound outside of the room I don't in the room. I also would like a recommendation on a good room size and stuff I could build into the room before I have to spend more money that I would have to in the beginning to add stuff into the room to keep stuff that I don't have to have in sight out of sight.

The Video
I need a good sized TV for Movies and the like. I don't want to get a projector and screen unless it will improve my experience a lot over a good ~70" HDTV.

I'm looking for good solid video sources that will provide me with a great picture and good sound as well!

A good satellite provider and receiver that will do the same as the former paragraph would be nice.
I don't know much about cabling options and setup so I would much appreciate help in that area.

I also intend to put a good computer into the system so I can do my work in comfort. I also intend to run video into other rooms as well.

The Audio
I am looking for a good sound experience that will wow everyone that's in the room.

I also intend to run audio to other rooms in the house and would like the make this room the central control of the rest of the house. I don't know if it would be a good idea to have someone else run the wiring for me or should I be able to do that myself to keep costs down.

I know almost nothing about what's out there and what would provide some sweet sound for gaming, movies, music, and just TV in general.

Uses of the System
I intend to listen to music 60% of the time and watch movies 40% of the time, not including everyday activities like watching TV and computer use.

I do know that to create sound you must have something to power it and something to make it, but not much more.

I also intend to buy an Xbox 360 or Ps3, maybe both if i can't decide.

Budget???
Well, the room I can afford to spend more on since the person I'm working with on building the house can do a lot of things cheap.

for the actual TV I don't want to spend too much over $10,000 on a tv or projector and screen.

Well, for the Dvd player and all that I don't want to spend over $5,000 total on the video sources since I'm pretty sure that can get a great picture out of a Dvd player, Dish or cable receiver, and whatnot.

I do plan to buy a gaming system so that I can have lots of fun! I don't know what connection options come with that.

For the audio side of things I've heard of receivers and speakers when I went to Wal-Mart and places like that but I know that Wal-Mart and Bestbuy don't sell the best quality audio equipment because I've been to the websites of what they sell and find much nicer models.

I don't want to spend too much over $10,000 on the amplification including amplification for other rooms unless it will get me a better sound or if there's a step-up model of something that will blow away the model within that price range.

For the actual speakers, since I love music so much, I want to put a larger amount of my budget toward that. I intend to spend around $30,000 toward the speaker part of the system including cabling and speakers and whatever else will increase my sound experience. The models at places like Best-buy just don't look or sound great AT ALL and they only have budget models which I'm not too fond of.

The computer I'm using right now is an old Pentium III I got back in 1999 and I fear it's on its last legs sadly. I intend to get a new computer that is better than this one. I want something nice so I've decided I can budget around $6,000 for the computer.

The reason I came here is because everyone seems to know a lot about this kind of stuff and I don't want to spend my money to for someone's help when I can budget it toward my system. Thank you for helping me out!

If there is anything I've forgotten that can improve my experience further please tell me!
I intend to take my time because I don't want to mess anything up. I want this to be a fun project that I can remember forever! I also intend to install what I can myself as to be able to budget more towards the system. I think this might be my new hobby from what I've seen and learned online. I'm very enthusiastic about this!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jake Ryan

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 520
Well, I will say one thing. You sure are spending a lot! That's going to be a nice setup!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I plan for it to be!

Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 6
With that budget you are better off finding a custom installer in your area that can match up something good that fits your tastes and decor. I know you want to install it yourself, and you can do that, but a custom guy in your area can help you pick out the right components for your needs and you can put it in yourself. I would suggest placing this question over at AVSForum. Therehttp://avsforum.com

There is also this link at audioholics to get you started http://www.audioholics.com/showcase/systemguide/index.php

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1189
You are going to pay twice for the equipment and install if you go with a custom guy. I suggest spending some time in HT stores and playing dumb with questions, pretend you already have a HT setup and are wanting to upgrade. You may not be pressured for a custom installation and you may get good advice on some higher end brands. Most important, buy what you think looks good and sounds good. Spending that much money will get you more opinions than a high school counselors conference.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Hmm, very interesting. Since I want to keep costs down so I can get better stuff I think I'll try your advice Joe. I need to do a lot of listening and watching. Thanks for the links Aaron! I'm also going to put a system into my car, but it's obviously not going to have as much as a budget.
I know I'm jumping straight to high-end but you can waste money spending and upgrading slowly so why not just go straight to the best?

Well thanks again.

Jake

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 322
If you don't have experience with this stuff you will need help from someone. There are pro organization for this purpose check out http://www.cedia.net/ . Another is http://www.cesweb.org/about_ces/ . Get more than one opinion but for that amount of cash that should be some system. $6000 for a computer is that possible? Just for fun let me take a shot at this system. The room: Rectangular is the way to go, use dimensions that are not divisble by one anther such as 15X22X8. Video: Sony SXRD 1080p Home Theater Front Projector VPL-VW100, Stewart 118 inch screen. Audio: Two big names in seperates are Krell and Lexicon. Check out this site http://www.guidetohometheater.com/buyersguides/prepros/ . Speakers : So many choices so many opinions, Aerial Acoustics LR5 System, Revels... check it out http://www.guidetohometheater.com/buyersguides/speakersystems/ .$5000 for DVD you could get a Blue Ray and a HD-DVD player. I consider these dream systems that would impress anyone.

TX USA

Post Number: 10
Since you are starting from scratch ask over at the avsforum.com about room treatments, pre-wiring, build-out etc. All of that stuff is very important and can get really expensive if you don't have it planned out beforehand.

As well, the multi-room stuff can get uber-expensive depending on what you want. Do you want fancy touch-screens in each room or just a simple volume control knob? How many rooms are going to get sound to them? Will other rooms besides the home theater room play video and/or have 5.1 surround sound?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Ok thanks!

I think I'd prefer just a good high-end volume control and have audio in every room of the house, and some audio outside as well. The kitchen, and every room that will get a computer will also hook into the system (just 1 I'm guessing) will be hooked into the system. It's like a high-end intercom I guess. Well I'll try out the avsforum, thanks.

I'll keep looking around. Right now I'm working on a car entertainment system
I'm about to order everything for it finally.
I hope to give each room at least a system with like a good music subwoofer and pair of speakers.

I've learned a lot since I've studied and put together a car audio system! Again thanks for advice.

Bronze Member

TX USA

Post Number: 13
Alrighty, someone else will have to chime in on the multi-room stuff, as I have no experience with what you describe.

As far as the theater room, what Casey suggested is all pretty darn good stuff, however I don't think you've budgeted enough for the components needed to drive a $25K speaker package. I would suggest a cheaper speaker package like the Klipsch THX Ultra-2 package http://klipsch.com/products/details/thx-ultra2.aspx

This would give you more room in your budget for the pre/pro, amps, multi-room setup and acoustic treatment/construction. $25-30K speakers are great and all, but you need to spend another $15K on amps to make them sound their best.

The video portion he suggested was pretty darn good as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
No it's ok I can handle increasing the amp budget in order to make the speakers sound better.

Well I'll keep doing the research. I've dropped in at our local high-end home theater installers just to "listen to stuff" I want to "upgrade." So far I'm impressed by some of MartinLogan's offerings and whatnot. I've still got a lot to look at and listen to. I'm considering a lot of your ideas as well. I might want to put more budget into the some things, we'll see, we will.

I'm still learning. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Sorry I've been gone so long. I'm away from home on a business trip right now and don't have a huge amount of time. What I can say is I'm thinking about making some changes to what I'm looking for. I'll need time to think about, lots to do.

In a hurry we go.

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 75
Well, I've arrived home and I'm ready to go to sleep. I've been doing all the research I can and plan to start building the room next week! Thanks for help, I did go to AVS.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us