PC as my Tuner?

Username: Joecross98

Post Number: 1
I'm thinking about getting a Media PC as a substitute A/V receiver. My DVD/CD player just went dead and I have a 10 year old receiver/speaker setup - so it's time to upgrade everything.

The PC will act as CD, DVD, VCR and TV and maybe A/V receiver. The only hitch I can find (apart fro trusting Microsoft!) is the speaker connection. I'd like Bose or better speakers, which have the standard tinned wire connections. The audio cards I've found don't have wire connections like typical receivers, only mini-plug, optical in/out and coax connections. So how do I connect the speakers to the computer?

I don't want an extra remote, so I'd prefer not to have a separate device between the computer and speakers. Also, the speakers could be 60ft away from the computer, so I'm not sure if that affects the cabling/wiring.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 221
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZX J2aWV3&product_uid=65616&_LOC=US

You need a powered speaker - this one sounds as good as Bose for a lot less - Stereo Review said the best speaker value in America.

Does your soundcard support surround sound? Does it have 2 mini-plug outputs (front and back)?

Than you might want to get a surround speakers (cambridge sound).

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=clearance&item=c1 e45snx&type=store

http://www.cybuys.com/merchants.asp?m=261

coupons to save.

Other good ones are these:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_4/swans-edirol-computer-speakers-12-2002 .html

http://show.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/shm.pl?spkrmoni&1050192252&item&&4&5&6&http://c gi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fs_srch.plQQANYAAKEYWAApurlsrchAAEXYAAst26AAAAAAswan

Username: Gdawg

Post Number: 40
Joe,

The Logitech Z-680's make awsome computer speakers, and have built in DTS/Dolby Digital/Pro-Logic 11 modes. The Logitechs use real speaker wires, so upgrading is made easy. The most important part though, is the sound. This is no problem! The sheer power of these speakers is amazing. I beleive it is a 200 watt 8" Subwoofer, and around 60 watts to each satelite speaker.

You will need a 5.1/6.1 soundcard to get proper use out these speakers however. Usually found from around 15-300$ on the net.

If it is anyuse to you, I am running an Acoustic Authority 2.1 set which I picked up for cheap at a local computer shop. They are not bad for the money but wont make do as a home theater set of speakers as they are only 2.1, and are nowhere near audiophile quality. The Logitechs would do much better IMO.

You could run a Harman DAL-150 from your computer to a receiver via coaxial input, or just use any receiver with mp3 deconding(Harman 430+ for example) This would be the best setup of the above, but would cost the most, and of course be the usual home theater system.

Well hope I am of help

G.DawG

Post Number: 2
So if I need powered speakers, can I buy regular speakers and route them through an amplifier and then into my sound card? Or maybe I can use standard monitor-style speakers since they are powered also.

I've run across the T200a Swans speakers/monitor and they seem to be at the top end of the multimedia speaker market right now (from my minimal research). But I am really confused about how they (and other speakers) will connect to my sound card. I've read that analog signals from sound cards are pretty distorted from the internal electronics of the computer. So digital connection would be preferable (SPDIF or coax), but then I need speakers with a built-in DAC or maybe an external DAC between the sound card and speakers. <my> The Swans don't seem to have digital connectors.

I like the idea of speakers that use standard speaker wire, like the Logitechs, but that seems to require a matched subwoofer to act as the adapter from speaker wire to mini-plug for the sound card. That limits my ability to upgrade in the future short of buying an entirely new matched system (or am I wrong)?

Joe

P.S. Are there any web sites or forums devoted exclusively to PC audio?

Post Number: 47
What you are trying to do is run a receiver off a computer? Thats easy, all you need is the DAL-150 available for under 20$ on ebay, and of course a new receiver.

What do you mean, are you thinking of running home speakers off the Logitech amp? That will work, but I dont know how well that will sound. It is suposed to supply about 60 watts for each channel so it would push most satelite sized speakers, but dont try running towers off that amp.

What I recomend doing, is ordering the Logitechs, trying them out at home, and if you dont like them, all you have to do is send them back. Is there a local place you could check them out? (i.e Staples, Costco, Futureshop, Bestbuy etc.)

G.DawG

Post Number: 3
I really don't want to use a separate receiver, so I'm exploring various ways to connect speakers to my sound card, ideally without any components in between.

I could simply get some good PC speakers, but this system will be my ONLY audio/home theater system, so I'd like it to be top-notch. That would require standard speakers, which introduces the connectivity problem.

Joe

Post Number: 48
Those Logitech's do get pretty close to audiophile quality, and the only thing that can compare is Klipsch Pro-Media.

There are sound cards with an optical ouput, but then again you need an amp or receiver so this wont help.

The best things you could do would be:

A:Get the Logitech's or Klipsch, and use them.

B:Get a 6.1 soundcard with an optical output, and use a receiver or amp to drive the speakers.

Both options are against your ways, but you cant just connect speakers to a soundcard. Im sure you could connect speakers to the soundcard, but the tiny amp in there is probably about 1w per channel, and wouldnt be nearly capable of anything in the HI-FI realm.

There are powered speakers available, that you could connect, but you can usualy only get powered speakers in sets of two and you need a 5.1 set to get "top notch" home theater.

You are makin this difficult! : - )

G.DawG

Post Number: 4
It wouldn't be fun if it was easy ;-)

I'm wondering now how important it is to have 5.1. I'd like the option to upgrade at some point, but my wife can't stand surround sound, so I wouldn't use it much anyway. My home isn't really set up for rear speakers, also. Swans makes a high-end set of 2.0 monitor speakers as well as a few 2.1 and 5.1 multimedia options. I'll probably just take the easy route and get those. They appear to outperform the Klipsch powered speakers, have a 30-day return policy and look great.

Joe
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us