NAD C542 verus NAD T533 for Music

Najmi Jarwala
Unregistered guest
Looking to replace my CD player. Its for a music-only stereo setup (Receiver HK 3480). Would it be better to stay with something like a NAD C542 or is worthwhile going to the T533 which provides DVD-Audio as an option. Both appear to be similarly priced (~$399). At the same price, would not the C542 have intrinsically better build/component quality? Also, even if I get DVD-Audio, by the time it mixes down to stereo, is the difference still perceptible. Since my receiver is HK 3480, the DAC native to the CD player is important.

The Cambridge Azur 540D versus 540C (both at ~$349) offer the same tradeoff...

Thanks.

Najmi.

nout
Unregistered guest
A German magazine "Stereoplay" rated the T533 very highly for "normal" stereo playback, the same score as the C542: 54 points.
Add DVD and DVD audio to it (for the same amount of money as the C542) and your choice is made, I guess.

Username: Antman

Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

Post Number: 5
I have both, the T533 is nowhere near a match for the C542, as hard as they try (in the budget ranges) no DVD player has yet com near to equaling a CD player of similar price. Yes there are some top-end DVD players that are very good with cd's, but they are in a different price bracket (3-4 times more)

Anthony

Najmi Jarwala
Unregistered guest
Thanks nout, Anthony.

Intuitively it would seem that for limited $$, the quality of the C542 should be superior to the T533. However in consumer electronics, cost is driven by so many other factors (economy of scale, for example, since probably more DVD/CD players are sold than just CD), etc., that this assumption may not hold. Looked at many reviews including discussions in other forums and there is a healthy debate on-going...

Anthony: Could you help with specifics re the differences that you have observed, so I can watch for them when I audition? Build quality? Sonics? CD to CD I presume would find the C542 a better unit. How about DVD-Audio mixed down to stereo (on the T533), versus CD?

Thanks again.

Najmi.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2052
Najmi,

"Also, even if I get DVD-Audio, by the time it mixes down to stereo, is the difference still perceptible."

The answer is "yes". It is more than perceptible! Let me direct you to the thread I started, which admin put under DVD players, but which is mostly about sound quality. There is also a lot on computers and related issues.

NAD T533 DVD/CD player user's review, and DVD-Audio
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us