Ascend vs. Axiom (redux)

Username: Walkeye

Post Number: 3
First, I am a bit squemish about even posting this, as there are many threads on this subject in the archives. I appreciate the patience of all who have been down this road countless times before.

After about as exhaustive search as I can afford, I have narrowed my choices down to Ascend CBM-170's or Axiom M3's as fronts for a modest 5.1 system. I have inquired on both sites' forums about a local home audtion. So far, I have received no offers.

Noting that both companies have "no hassle" 30 day return policies, I am inclined to order a pair from each, and try both out on my old Luxman stereo receiver (I will be purchasing a new 5+ channel receiver soon). I know it would be better to order COMPLETE 5.1 systems from both manufacturers, and return the system that is less appealing. The cost of returning the "losing" system is prohibitive.

It appears from the specs on each that the Axioms will offer somewhat lower frequency response than the Ascends. My concern, and my question for the good folks on this board, is that I will not be able to make an accurate comparison. Without a sub in the equation, will I really be making a "fair" comparison?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all, and thanks to Ecoustics for an excellent site!

dropping in
Unregistered guest
It's a fair concern, but as you listen to each pair, concentrate mostly on the highs and mids, given the fact that lower frequencies will ultimately be represented by a sub down the line (in either case).

Yes, I believe the Axioms will sound a little fuller or have more bottom end. But again, most if not all of that extra bass will ultimately be transferred over to the sub to provide.

Given that, I think you can still make a fair enough comparison.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1296
I have auditioned both speakers and it was really difficult to choose between the two as the staging and sound clarity are excellent on both units. The Ascends are truly exceptional with a mellow but very clear reproduction on the high frequencies and the Axioms are also very clear and pleasant.
After 30 days of agony we decided on getting the Axioms because of looks. It was difficult choosing on sound so we decided on the shallow aspects, unfreakin'believable. The Axioms just looked better and the Ascends are an acquired taste. although I would have kept them all if I had my way.
You have a difficult decision, but eventually you'll decide, :-)
cheers and good luck choosing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us