The Last Piece

Username: Andyj

Van Alstyne, TX United States

Post Number: 10
With all of the good advice I have been given on this board, I have put together an economical system that I am very pleased with:
H/K AVR 330
Athena AS-F2 Fronts
AS-C1 Center
AS-B2 Surrounds
Pioneer DV-563A DVD
H/K FL5885 CD
Sharp 32" Flat Screen

The last piece is a sub. My main interest is music (70/30) and I have narrowed the selections to the Athena P400 ($299 at Best Buy) and the Adire Rava. ($399). I have auditioned the P400 but will have to rely on reviews and advice if I select the Rava.

The room is 20x15 with 16 foot ceilings. One of the long sides is open to a level below.

I would like to hear your comments.

Thanks for this and all previous advice!

lester
Unregistered guest
Sorry, but I honestly, deeply hate BestBuy. Get the Adire.

PS. was the Athena price after a $6000 dollar BestBuy mail-in rebate?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Well, that is just silly. I am not going to base my decision on whether or not I like Best Buy.

FYI, here is how/where the components were acquired:
AVR 330 - Ebay $348
AS-F2 - Audio Advisor $399
AS_B2 - Ebay -$129
AS-C1 - Best Buy $149
DVD - Ebay $118
CD - Ebay $121

All compoments are new or Factory Recons. Gotta cut the corners where you can when you are on a budget.

lester
Unregistered guest
I apologize, I was taking a jab at BestBuy. Good job on what you have aquired so far! I agree, it pays to cut corners. Most of my system was purchased slowly as it went on sale. Back to the subs, I have not listened to any of the ones you listed so I won't be much help here, but I would recommend front firing, unless you have childeren or pets that may damage them. Once again I apologize.

Anonymous

if yer willing to pony up the money for the adire, check out HSU STF-2 for the same price or you can wait until end of Oct for the new SVS PB-10isd

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
The only 2 selections in the runnng are the Athena and Adire products. I am well past the point of looking at several different brands.

Bronze Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 61
You said:

The only 2 selections in the runnng are the Athena and Adire products. I am well past the point of looking at several different brands.

That's too bad. In that case, I'd go with the Adire even though I have never heard either products. Why? Just from what I've read. I have auditionned a 10" Paradigm PDR-10 in my home (similar in size and weight to the Athena) and have heard others in stores such as the Velodyne CHT-12 and the bigger Mission M5as. None are very impressive. Then I ordered a Hsu STF-3 and I am blown away. There is no comparison to the others I've heard. The bass is deep and clean. Kick drums pound you in the chest. So I know the STF-2 would give you a similar effect but you are not willing to look at it. I'm almost certain that the Athena would give you an adequate but not thrilling performance, and that the Adire might be in the same league as Hsu. So get the Adire if you'll unwilling to consider Hsu or SVS.

Peter
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us