Sub/Sat Speakers: Help with Kef ,Mirage,JM Labs,B+W

Dno
Unregistered guest
I have a room that is 18 by 20 (9ft ceiling) are wanting to put a 5.1 sub/sat speaker system into the room for a Music/HT system. I have HK AVR-325 receiver (with 2 channels going to a different room). Musically, I listen mainly to alt. rock, pop, and some jazz.

I have narrowed the selection down to:

KEF 2005.2 system
JM Labs Cub/Sib
B+W VM1's
Mirage Onmisat (maybe - have not yet heard them).

I am not sure whether these speaker systems are "big" enough for my room, and also wheather they are suited for the receiver. Looking for advice before going further.

Anonymous

Hi I rate the Omnisats very highly followed by the KEF's..

Found them good with 2Channel music as well..

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 56
Dno:

As much as I love the KEFs, I don't believe they are the right speaker for your receiver. The KEFs are a bit reserved sounding and the H/K is even more so. Instead, I think the better combination is a more forward, even a bright sounding speaker so that the high end detail is not lost. Thus, the Mirage OmniSats or the JMlabs Sib/Cub system are the better choices. The OmniSats are easily the brightest sounding speaker system of those mentioned on this thread, followed by the Sib/Cib system. As your H/K is a very laid back sounding receiver, I believe the OmniSats would be a great combo, as would the Sibs.

However, I would agree with your concern that none of these systems is likely to be large enough for your room. You have over 3200 cubic feet to fill and none of these speakers have anything larger than a 5" mid/woofer, which is just not going to move enough air for that size room.

It is hard to understand what exactly you are looking for. Each of the systems you mentioned are small satellites. If that is what you really want, then you have pretty well named the best small satellite systems. If you are willing to accept slightly larger speakers in an effort to get speakers appropriate for your sized room, then there are other choices.

If you will accept slightly larger speakers, I would highly recommend NHT SB-3s for the fronts, an NHT SC-1 for the center and a pair of NHT SB-1s for the rears. The SB-3s have a 6.5" mid/woofer that has a frequency response that claims to have a low end -3db point of 38 Hz. That will have the necessary ability to work for your room. They are also only 12" tall, so they are not that much larger than the mini-satellites like the KEFs (9" tall), and they will hang on the wall. I have priced the system described above at $940, before a subwoofer, so it isn't much more expensive than the KEFs.

If this is of any interest to you, I can suggest other systems in a similar price range that would work better in your room. Just let me know, and also let me know what your budget is.

Merry Christmas!

Username: Dno

Post Number: 1
Hawk,

Thanks for the detailed response and recommendations and I hope you had a good christmas as well. I originally targetted sat/sub packages so that I would gain placement/mounting flexibility in the room (it is our main family room and with 1 young child I was trying to keep this stuff out of reach). So with the newer sayt/sub systems I was willing to trade off a little sonic ability for this.

However, if there is more packages that like the NHT's (the SB-3's look almost like a perfect speaker given the slightly larger (but still small) size but increased dynamic range) I would love to hear about them because they still fit my original aims.

A couple of questions/comments:

1. Any additional recommendations on similar systems to the NHT would be great to give a range of systems to also look into.

2. My Budget is between $1000 - $1300 includ sub.

3. I alreasy have klipsch SCR-2 in-wall rears which I will likely use, so that budget can likely be for fronts/center/sub.

4. I am leaning towards to a HSU VTF/STF-2 sub unit

Dean

What I am trying to achieve is a HT systems with the speakers wall mounted

Username: Edison

Post Number: 104
You might want to match the klipsch all around - www.bestbuy.com has them to get good integration.

NHT is good too - they sound similar infact. I prefer NHT a little more though.

Another one I like is athena speakers

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806301325&skuId=5335693&type=prod uct

These bookshelfs with this affordable sony sub - this might be all you need for movies especially :

http://www.etronics.com/addtocart.asp?msg=There%20were%20errors%20with%20your%20 submission.%20The%20e-mail%20address%20and%20password%20you%20entered%20did%20no t%20match%20any%20accounts%20in%20our%20file.%20Please%20try%20again.

Bestbuy has athena centers

I am getting these - despite the low price, they sound fun! I was listening to it for an hour theother day and decided I gotta get them.

They don't have as good tweeters as NHT or Klipsch, but the mid is sweet - they had me up on my feet and dancing - a few speakers do that for me.

Username: Dno

Post Number: 2
The Klipsch wall/ceiling mounts came with the house (It was new) and so rigt now I don't think I want Kilpsch in the fronts/centers, but I "could" use the rears that are already mounted in the room.

Anonymous

What would you guys recommend for floor standing speakers to match a hk 430? I would like to get a 5.1 system for around $1200-1500.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us