If you had $750 - $1,200, what sub would you buy??

Anonymous

If you had $750 - $1,200, what sub would you buy??

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 74
Def Tech Supercube I. Lists for $1199. Awesome.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 67
Monitor audio...

You might want to match the rest of your speakers (company) to get good integration of the entire freauencies. Sometimes, going with one company works out better.

Username: Smitty

Post Number: 11
Two of these for $999
Outlaw LFM-1

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 51
Several good choices, depending upon the size of your room and what you are going to use it for.

My top choice is a Hsu Research. Dr. Hsu is recognized as the leading researcher/designer of subs, and his VTF-3, for $849, I think, is simply the best out there. Check it out at www.hsuresearch.com

For less money, there is the Hsu VTF-2 or the Dr. Hsu designed Outlaw LFM-1, recommended by Smitty (smart man, Smitty). The Outlaw is a new product, but its heretage is undeniable and the reports I am hearing are very enthusiastic. Check out the Outlaw at www.outlawaudio.com.

I am also finding that you can get the Velodyne SPL 1200II and SPL 1000II discounted to under $1K, and they are superb units as well, and as good as anything out there.

Merry Christmas!

Username: Heff

Post Number: 48
I agree w/Hawk. Smitty too since Dr. Hsu was involved with the LFM-1.

The STF-2 ($399) is very similar to Outlaw LFM-1 You could also have two STF-3's @ $599 ea. within your budget.

BTW, the VTF-3 current models are the VTF3-MK II and a VTF-3R priced at $799/$849 USD.

Username: Gman

Post Number: 71
True, the STF-3 seems quite similar to the Outlaw Audio LFM-1. No doubt for the onbious reasons that Dr. HSU worked with the Outlaw engineers on the design of the LFM-1. For some reason the HSU model weighs 78 lbs opposed to the 58 lbs of the LFM-1. Yet the specs seem almost identical--except for slightly more amp power on the Outlaw. 325 to 300 watts.

Anyway I am sure you couldn't go wrong with either. Just as there are some SVS models that are excellent and a couple of Paradigms.

But getting 2 LFM-1 subs for $999 is one great way of making sure you have zero directionality and an even better way of making sure the subwoofer placement is much less critical. Plus it can enhance the bass response.

Seasons Greetings

Username: Azndragonz

Post Number: 6
Why I would Of course get JL audio New 2004 model w7 where every1 IS TALKING ABOUT , and then get an enclosure and a Dj amplifier to power it and Thats would be greattttt.

CAS
Unregistered guest
One note: You don't have to match your sub to the rest of your speakers (manufacturer wise) because it produces such a very limited range of frequencies that audibly it's not related. Your sub won't produce the sound that any of your other speakers will produce so matching here doesn't make sense. Now, complimenting them is another issue...

But anyway, Def Tech, HSU and SVS are all very reputable companies with great products and you couldn't go wrong with any of them. Personally, I own the SVS PB2+

Username: Edison

Post Number: 106
I prefer to get a matching set - I have a sub that is so different from the rest of the speakers and I am hearing it as a separate entity.

It sounds nice to have it from the same maker if done well.

If your speakers are soft sounding (the spring in the woofer), its nice to have that same feeling in all the speakers.

If you are going with a different company, make sure they are similar sounding. Don't get a mushy sounding speaker with a hard sounding sub for instance.

Having same speakers improves on imaging as well.

Anonymous

I think that the Definitive Technology SuperCube I or II is a kick a_ _ sub and reasonably priced (considering). Kick it down a notch for music (a little overpowering) and unmatched for home theater. I think it is a great all around sub. Probably better ones out there for stictly music but probably not much better out there for HT
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us