Subwoofer Wiring

Anonymous
I have a Shapr MDx-60 stereo, i also have a cambridge soundworks subwoofer. I have hooked up the subwoofer to the speaker output because i dont have a subwoofer output. But i am not getting the full sound from the subwoofer. Is there a way i can add subwoofer output to my stereo or anything else i can do.
Thanks>

You need an amplifier buddy, you can't hook up subs to full power without an external amp. The rca imputs on the back of your deck are for an external amp and you wire the sub through that. Right now your only getting 45 watts at peak to that sub so that means about 23 normally and with an amp you could be getting 300 watts rms. I'd suggest going to etronics.com and picking up a JBL subwoofer amp.

I have a 2ohm stable amp and (2) 4ohm 15" dvc subs. I want to know what is the wiring best used to get the full power of my amplifer. The amplifer is a mono block amplifer.

Brian what you want to do is run the speakers in parallel wiring. Wich means run a wire from the negative of one sub to the negative of the other sub. Next run a wire from the positive of one sub to the positive of the other. Then run another wire from the positive to the positive of the amp, and a wirte from the negative to the negative amp terminal. This will trick the amp into thinking theres only one sub, but the load output will split up making the subs two ohms stable. wich will have yo sh1t knocking. I wish i could hear it man, goodluck.

Anonymous
I wired 2 dvc subs to a 1000 watt amp @2 ohms and I think I may have had the polarity wrong on one of the subs. Anyway, after a little while the left channel on my 2 channel amp stopped working and I can't figure out exactly what is wrong. Do you think incorrect polarity would damage my amp? Thanks.

90 full size blazer

hello, i have 760 watt sony amp to push two cerwin vega hed svc 12's 400 watt max. they are in a q logic 6 port bandpass box which i cut the ports to match the specs of the vegas.

for the highs i have two mtx 6x9 2 way 120 watters in the doors.the amp for these is a 400 watt 2 ch. urban audio.

none of this is hooked up yet...
should i get another set of 6x9 s for the rear?
or a 6 1/2 component set?

can i run 4 speakers parallel off the 2 ch amp?
will it keep up with the subs? should i run them in series?
should i get a better amp for the highs?
also i have a 1 farad stinger cap. can i run both amps off the cap? i have 8 ga wire w/60 amp fuse...is this wire too small to run both amps after the cap?
the sub box has seperate inputs. whith 760 watts, should i run the amp bridged and the subs parallel? or should i run them 1 off each ch.? the subs are 4 ohm.
the deck is a sony cd 52 watt a ch.

i would appreciate any tips before installing.

thanks!

Brian H.
Eric this is brian again I have two dvc 15 subwoofers. The way you say wiring then, I must have single voice coils.

Brian, I know exactly what you are saying because I have the exact same problem. I've got (2) Rockford HX2 12" subs and a mono block 1500-watt 2-ohm stable amp, and I just can not get it wired properly. With a mono block amp and dual 4-ohm subs, you can only wire it into 1-ohm total or 4-ohm total...1-ohm will stress the amp too much and 4-ohms sounds like nothing. Someone PLEASE suggest something.

Anonymous
I have an arcam 290 amp and arcom 290p power which is bi amp to 2 pairs of mission speakers.
I am thinking of adding a sub woofer to current configuration. How can i connect the sub woofer to lister to any one pair at a time?
Appreciate your help on this.
regards,

Tth

d_man
what if you have a stereo 2 channel amp. would you wire it up the same way as the mono amp? i have two dual 4 ohm voice coil subwoofers.

Shash
I have DENON 3801 Amp and Subwoofer output is having only one port(round),but in my woofer has got left(+ and -) and right (+ and -) and one more
switch indicated high and low.Please suggest me how to connect the cables.

Jesse
Can anyone please explain to me how to hook up a car amp to my home 5.1 surround sound system thank you in advance.

My newly purchased A/V Receiver accepts only an RCA jack for a subwoofer. Unfortunately, my subwoofer does not have RCA jacks...only regular wire connections. Is there anyway I can connect my subwoofer to my receiver?

Thanks,
Murry Page

Hawk
Murray:

What kind of receiver and subwoofer do you have?

Hawk:

My Receiver is a Panasonic SA-HE100 and the Subwoofer is a Dogg. *lmao* God's truth that is the name. I bought it on EBay. I think there may be more meaning to the name than I orginally thought. I got the speakers: back (2) front (2) center and Subwoofer for $125.00.

Now, what is it they say..."You get what you pay for."

Murry Page

Hawk
Murray:

My friend, you were stiffed. It is upgrade time, but we will talk about that later. First, let's see if we can make this Dogg hunt.

You obviously have a "passive" sub woofer--that is, no internal amplifier, which is why there is no line level connection on the subwoofer. To get sound from it, run your speaker wire from your receiver's "Front" connections, both left and right, to the pair of speaker connectors on the sub marked "In" or "Input." Then run another pair of speaker wires from the subwoofer's "Out" or "Output" connectors to your front speakers. MAKE SURE YOUR RECEIVER SETS YOUR FRONT SPEAKERS TO "LARGE"; otherwise, you won't get any bass info. Now your sub is working, but not in a Home Theater mode. It is giving you the bass info that would be sent to the front speakers just as if you had full range speakers for your fronts.

Now, to get better bass, you will have to get a real HT sub, that is, an active sub with its own amp built in. Look for a PSB Subzero, Paradigm PDR-8, or a Phase Technology Power 8 sub, each of which may be found for about $225 or a bit less. You can also find a JBL PD10 for about the same price. Better still, go to One Call (www.onecall.com) and look under their Home Theater Speaker Systems for a package One Call put together themselves: 5 NHT SuperZero speakers together with a Phase Tech Power 8 sub. The package price is something like $590, and it is superb. Stereophile magazine had the SuperZeros on its "Recommended" list for several years (they were recently replaced by NHT with the SB-1). This is a killer deal that will not last long and it would be a great combo with your receiver.

I hope this helps.

Anonymous
hey i have 2 rockford punch hx2s and a 1500 watt power accustik amp with a 1 farad lighting audio cap. the amp is 2 channel what is the best way to connect my subs ??????

Hawk:

Thanks for your advice on the speakers. How do you think the One Call speakers compare to Bose Acoustimass 6 or 10?

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks
Murry

Hawk
Murray:

I have a low opinion of the Bose speakers. Without their so-called subwoofer (it is actually a woofer for all five channels, not a subwoofer), they sound like five transistor radios. I don't know how low they go, but I am guessing they roll off about 350-400hz.

The One Call special is for five quality mini-monitors that go down to an honest 90hz. Thus, they at least make an effort to cover the audio range. They are higher quality units, as well. As I said, they have been on Stereophile's Recommended Components List for several years. It is one of the best systems I have seen offered for under $800.

If you want to go a little higher in price, I would recommend looking at a PSB system I found at DMC Electronics (www.dmc-electronics.com) consisting of 5 Alpha Intros with a SubZero subwoofer. Price is $849.

Alternatively, the same site offers PSB Image 1B speakers for $199/pair and you can get the same high quality SubZero subwoofer for $199, as well. That is $400 and you would only have to add a PSB center speaker and surrounds which I know can be done for about another $400, for a total of $800 for the whole system.

Any of these systems would sound a whole lot better than the Bose.

Hawk:

Thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts on speakers. I'll take a look at the speakers at DMC Electronics also.

Again thanks for your input and for helping all of us challenged audiophiles.

Murry

I have an '67 Pontiac with a huge trunk. I built a pair of awesome custom boxes for my 15s. I have 2 Audiobahn AW1508T subs that run at 2000W RMS. They have 2 2ohm coils each. Would it be possible to get 8 500x2 @ 4ohm amps that are stable to 2 ohms then combine each to 2 ohms (therefore 1000W)? Then I could run 4 of those bridged channels to each sub. How many ohms would that be? What's the best place to find amps for something like that without spending massive amounts of cash?

Hi I have an old pioneer amp (DC-Z73) with a 5-band equalizer, twin tray disc player, double cassette tape, tuner and turntable. I was interested in installing a sub to this system because I love my bass and am finding the system isn't bassi enough 4 my liking but wasn't sure if it was worth it--possible etc. So I would appreciate any help.
Due to not being able to use the original pioneer speakers I have hooked up two-3.2ohm 5watt speakers and two-4ohm 30watt speakers (all 4 are akai). I have connected these through the front--left and right channel speaker inputs I wasn't sure if having two speaker cables into the same port would be a good idea but it sounds better.
The system says its impedance is
Front 6-16ohm/speakers
Rear 16ohm/spakers (for the rear speaker the don't take the normal speaker wire more like AV cables)
50/60hz 216 watts
So with all the info I have included I was appreciate any help with installing a sub--eg if worth it what size etc.. Thanks in advance for all your time and help.

I have(had) an Eclipse Da7232 class d sub amp with two Eclipse 12" DVC subs. Had it running stereo off of a single signal from a DSP. Never had a problem with it. had to uninstall it. During the re install apparently the STEREO/Mono L/ L+R switch got moved to the Mono L position. Amp is now toast. Would that switch being switched to that setting have fried my amp? Subs are dual 3 ohm voice coils and amp is 2 ohm stable.

i have a MTX thunder 4250 mono 350w class D amp and a 12" MB Quart rwc-304 sub. the sub is 4 ohm and dual voice coil. to get the 350w i need to run the sub at 2 ohms. how do i wire the dual voice coils to each other and to the box? also how do i wire the sub to the amp? i used to have two tens and i know how to wire them at 2 ohm, but they didnt have dual voice coils and i dont know how to run just one sub at 2 ohms. please help me out.

Anonymous
hi buddy,
i have a 444 sony amplifier and a blaupunkt velocity VCS 12 1000watts DVC sub.i wanted to know that is there any kind of splitter required to connect the single sub out of my sterio to the two 222 watt channel inputs of the amp.please tell me the best possible wiring for my setup...

Tim
Hey all,

I have an Aiwa NSX-SZ315 Stereo and I just recently bought a V-Net 10-inch car sub woofer and hooked it up to my stereo, however only the speakers play and not the subby. I tried switching around the wires at the back of my stereo and sometimes the speakers play but then the stereo just turns itself off altogether. How should I plug in the wires correctly or do anything else to get my new sub woofer to work?
Thanks

I have three auidiobahn subs that I want to wire to a 2 channel amp. Two of the subs are 10" Aluminum sound Qs and the other is a 15" of the same type. I was wondering how to do this so that the 15" is run off both channels at 3 ohms (all with dual 6ohm voice coils) and the 10s could each run undeer a separate channel. I have a plan but can't ensure that it would work.

Tim, your "subby" needs an amplifier for you to even hear it. your wiring behind the ehad unit is color coded for a reason. the black striped wires are neg (-) and the solids are poss (+). it goes like this: white-left front, grey-right front, green-left rear, purple-right rear. The rear speakers will be getting slightly more power since they are bigger, and also so you can hear them even with the fronts. In other words, don't mess with those wires or you could blow the woofer cone in a speaker. There should also be a few other wires from the head unit. The black wire is the ground, red is the pwoer supply, there is either an orange or a yellow wire which is a 24/7 connection to the battery to save your pressets and the time, and a blue wire that is the remote start for an amplifier. The wires are NOT interchangable. You might have a messed up car-make that color codes differently, but still, don't change them from what they were factory. To power your sub, get an amp that isn't too powerful for it. Since you only have asingle 10" sub, run 8 or 16 gauge power wire from the car battery to the amps "+12v" inlet, grround to the car chasis, connect the remote amp start wire all the way to the amp in the remote inlte, and run an RCA cable to the amp from the SUBW port of the head unit and plug it in the RCA in holes. Again, red and white are not interchangable for the RCAs. Now simply connect the poss and neg wires from teh subs to the appropriate speaker ports on teh amp and everything should work fine. Now again, athere is no way around this. An amp is a must. Even the 8" subs that come in stock SUVs have 100 watt stock amplifiers in the walls to power them. Your head unite is not giving off any more than 50 watts of peak power. Now look at the RMS rating on the sub, mulitply it by two, and that is the peak power of the sub. And of course vise-versa, the RMS power is half of the peak. Unless you are using MTX, Audiobahn, MA, JL, or a high-end sub, it is going to only give you the peak power on the box of the sub (or sign in the store.) Divide it by two and the is your rough RMS power. If you need anything else, drop an e-mail.

Guy with the sony stuff,
First of all, I have to tell you... Congrats on your purchassing of crap. Sony rates their equiptment at double of it's full capacity and prices it at twice of what it's worth. Look for actual reviews frrom real critics on-line before you buy audio equiptment. If you can't find any, ask a car audio store other than Best Buy because they run off commition and will praise anything you show consideration in buying. Anyway. All you have to do is bridge it. You should have bought a mono amplifier which would have been cheaper and less of a hassle, but I'm sure they didn't tell you that. Don't use a splitter to bridge it. what you want to do is get two short speaker wires and one long one to go to the sub. you are going to conneect the two possitive channels with the possitive sides of the short wires and connect them together at the other ends. Now you will connect that with the possitive side of the long wire which whill go to the (you guessed it) possitive side of the sub. If you followed that correctly, their will be an intersection of 3 wires. There is no substitute for a good sodder. Sodder the three wires together and then wrap them with electrical tape. Now repeat with the neggitive sides. I can't strtess enough with the importance of soddering over splicers. Also, one thing to keep in mind, if something isn't working right on teh test, question the grounding of the amplifier before ANYTHING else. This will most likely save you a lot of work. ANother thing. That amp of your's will melt if it hit 445 watts. it will have an RMS of roughly 200 watts (100 per channel) and peak at 400. Sony rates their equiptment at how far it goes in the best of 10 trial runs before it blows p bassically. Now if your subs can really handle 100 watts, then it would run roughly 500 RMS. I don't know if you get wat I am saying, but the average running wattage of your single sub is well beyond the wattage that if put out, would turn your amp into a small pile of goop on your car's carpetting. Be very careful when you are showing off for you friends and what not because it can be potentially bad. Any questions jsut e-mail me.

Ryan, i am going to start off by recommending that you run the sub at 4 ohms. You will get a better sound that will fill the car more with less power. 2 ohms will be louder in the car, but 4 ohms will be louder outside. To run at 2 ohms, connect one possitive wire to the possitive input of both of the voice coils. Do the same with the neggitive. this is a picture I found of what it would look like when done
http://www.maaudio.com/sub/techsupport/boxparameters/WiringSubwoofers_files/1Series-parallel%20Subwoofer.gif
To run at 4 ohms, it will be quit the opposite, first run the possitive from the amp to the possitie of one voicec coil, then run the negitive from tha voicec coil to the possitive of the next, then run the negitive of that voice coil the the negitive of the amp. E-mail me if you need anything else.

Roger,
If it was switched to mono, then all of the power would be going through only the left channel. Your left sub should be toast not the amp. On top of that, your amp should have been correctly fuse protected not only before the battery, but before the capacitor as well if you have one. How was the system wired? All depending on how it was wired, the amp would be running at either 1.5 ohms per channel or 6 ohms per channel. and 1.5 ohms possible could have fried it when all pwoer was delivered through one channel making it 1.5 ohms rather than 3. E-mail me and tell me how it was wired.

I have 3 10" subs and a 1000 watt 2 channel amp. I was wondering what the best way to wire them is.

i have 1 10" 300 watt tornado i managed to get from my mate, and a boss BA-500 amp, its 4 x 125 watts, its very capable of running a 300 watt sub, i also got of me mate, i have the wires and everything, i just need to know how to do it! could anyone give me any advice so i dont blow anything up?
thanks alot guys

robert

What kind of amp would you guys suggest to power 2 12" titanium eclipse subs???
any kind of advice would greatly be appreciated.
I was origionally going to use 2 JL AUDIO 1000/1
or even 2 Xtant x1001 amps....
recently I was thinking of using a DA7232 Eclipse amp.
hopefully someone can give me some good adviice of what amp/amps to use. please email me at abstractdesigner@yahoo.com
desperately your,
rob

I hope somebody out there can help me - I have a NHT SW2P powered subwoofer and I heard from a friend that I could buy another Sw2P sub without the amplifier and run them both off the MA1 mono amplifier, but he couldn't offer me details on how. I would think this would over tax the amp, but he swears this will lower the ohms and everthing will work out fine. Can anybody explain if this will work and how - I don't want to damage my equipment. Thanks in advance - Phil

Eddie De Soto
Hello everyone:

I received a very old car amp as a "gift" from my brother(alpine 3513s)It must be at least ten years old. It's a 2 channel 40w amplifier. Since it has too little power for a subwoofer i thought it would be nice to hook it up to my rear speakers. Now, I know that (correct me if i'm wrong) the power wire goes to the battery, that the ground wire goes to the chassis and that the remote wire connects with the remote connection of the receiver, but I can't identify which is the remote wire on my head unit. Also the receiver doesn't have a preamp output. To further complicate things my car is a 2002 Renault Clio, a make that isn't sold in the US. However, any help will be gladly appreciated,

Eddie

Tim
I've got a 1200 watt max at 1 ohm mono amp. I've got two 6 ohm dvc subs. I have the subs wired to make an impedance of 1.5 ohms. The subs are rated 480 rms each. My question is when I hook up the subs to the amp will the amp push 800-1200 watts into both subs or will it split the power and be about 400-600 watts into each sub?
Thanks in advance!!

if i have a 12'' 1200 watt, 4 ohms subwoofer, what is the wattage of the amp needed to be to maximize the subwoofers output?

andrew adams
my two wires are broken on my sub, how do i sodder them together?

Unregistered guest
i have a stereo system with only speaker and AUX outputs. How can i connect a 12" 800w sony sub and a kenwood 6" 140w speaker to my stereo system and what size amp do i need.
i really need help thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us