Finally narrowing the choices down...

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 17
I'm nearing the end of my search on upgrading my system. I really like the new Boston Acoustic VR series and got a price for a pair of VR2's ($700), center channel VRC ($340) to match possibly with an NAD 753 receiver ($850). I'm going to use my Klipsch SB-1's for rear surround now until I can afford to add on compatible BA model. I already have a two year old Paradigm PDR-10 sub that should fit right in. This will bring my total new investment in at just under $2,000. That was my limit for the time being.

A second choice would be to go with the same speakers mentioned, but substitute a Marantz 7400, which would actually be about $150 cheaper than the NAD. It also is a more powerful receiver by about 35 wpc and according to another dealer I've been talking to, is actually a more neutral sounding amp than the NAD. What I didn't know is that the parent company of Marantz is McIntosh (kinda out of my price range! ;) ), although I don't know how much that needs to be taken into consideration.

Any opinions on how these two receivers would match up to the Boston's?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 602
First of all you are choosing between two great receivers.Second the Marantz does not have 35 watts more power, if anything the NAD will outperform any other brand in multichannel power. That said the power of these is not an issue at all. Which one do you like best and feel most comfortable using? You can't lose with either so that's what you should base your decision on. Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1322
i second elites recomendation.

if you can do a test drive and hear/see the differences in the two
should help you decide.

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 20
I'm just going by the info at both the NAD and Marantz websites pertaining to the outputs. They list the 753 at 70wpc and the 7400 at 105. That's how I came up with the difference of 35. I fully realize that NAD has always been conservative when it comes to these figures.

Unfortnately, although both of the stores I've gotten these quotes from carry the BA speakers, neither carries both receivers. I will probably opt for the Marantz because I have a trusted ongoing relationship with that merchant.

Thanks for the input. It seconds my thoughts that I'm making a wise choice and I know either would probably blow away my six year old Yamaha RX-V992.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us