Upgrade Paradigm or not?

Unregistered guest
I have a Pair of Paradigm Monitor 9's v.3, with a couple of Mini Monitor v.2's for surrounds and a cc-370 v.2 with a Velodyne CHT-10 sub, powered by a Denon 3802 in a 12X21 room with wood floors. My question is I just bought the cheap Pioneer SACD/DVD-Audio/DVD player at Best Buy for $180 and am flat out amazed at how good it sounds (SACD's especially, Yellow Brick Road by Elton John sounds 100% and brillant, not to mention Dark Side of Moon, etc.) My question, now I am thinking what is the weak link in my system and should I upgrade the speakers while I can still get full credit for the purchase, to maybe one of the Reference series. I've heard negative comments about the monitor 9's, I like them but am I missing something I don't know. I Want the perfect budget system.

Username: Johnnyness

Post Number: 3
I like the Monitor 9s in a 5.1 system much more than I liked them in a two channel system. I think if it sounds right to you, you should stick with what you have rather than upgrade.... if you notice that you don't though, I really like the way the studio 60s sound, although they are significantly more money. Have you listened to PSB? I really enjoy the way they sound more than I did any of the Monitors. Not quite the detail of the studio 60s, but more musical than the monitors for less dough. good luck

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 38
I would say stick with what you have unless you upgrade to the studio 60 or other studio series model. I like the Paradigm line alot and last time I compared the Monitor 7 to the Studio 60 I didn't think the 60 was worth almost twice as much as the 7. Actually I like the 7's more than the 9's. Just my opinion.

Anonymous

How about switching out just the mini-monitors with either the surrounds or maybe monitor 7's? Would I realize a significant improvement in the sound field? One concern I always had was the 8" drivers on the 9's with the smaller drivers on the mini's. Of course I would have smaller drivers on the 7's too?

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 39
The reason I like the 7's better than the 9's is that to me the bass is tighter and not as muddy as the 9's. I think you have a more uniform sound with the 7's and mini-monitors together than the 9's and mini's. You need to listen to both and figure out which sounds best to you.

Anonymous

Ok how about trading my Monitor 9's in for a pair of used Studio 60's (v.2 I think) for $300. Worth it or would i just screw up how all my surround speakers sounded together. Option #2, upgrade monitor 9's to Monitor 11 v. 3? Another option, Buy Axiom M-60's. Us them as fronts, move Monitor 9's to surround duty, move mini's to back speakers. Again would that just screw up how everything mixed together?

Anonymous

I like the studio 60s alot better than the Monitors.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us