Monitor Audio Silver S10: S2 overkill for surrounds?

Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 3
I think I've decided to go with Monitor Audio Silver series for my Marantz 7400. I would have the S10 for mains and the SLCR for the center channel. My question is whether I should get the S2 for the surrounds or the S1. Will the S2 be too much for surrounds or will the S1 be satisfactory? I will be using these speakers for everyday tv and movie watching since I'm hooking everything up through the 7400 including the monitor. My living room(for the next 6 months at least) is about 18ftX12ft and I want a good balance of sound. Any thoughts?

Username: Sgtpeper

Post Number: 6
Actually for surrounds Id check out the SFX i think thats the current one... They are really made to be a surround so I think that would match best. I have S8s for fronts and a silver 12i for my center instead of an SLCR.
HTH

Post Number: 4
sgtpeper-
What are you using for surrounds?
The reason I don't want to get the SFX speakers is because I want a pair of speakers I can hold on to for many years after I decide to "ugprade" this set(Not that I will for many years). You can't readily use the SXI speakers hooked up to another system or a mini in another room, or I guess you could, but I'd rather have a typical looking speaker.

BTW, I just realized that I typed down the speakers wrong. I meant S8, not the S10. The S1 or the S2 would probably be "underkill" as surrounds for the S10. So here are the speakers I'm looking at and I just wanted to get everbody's input on a good combination that will be balanced throughout my living room:

Mains: S8 or S6
Surrounds: S2 or S1
Center: SLCR

I want to make sure that they match before I buy besause I'm ordering online and don't want to go through the hassle of returning them.
If you need to see specs:
http://www.monitoraudio.com/products/silver/index.htm

Username: Sgtpeper

Post Number: 7
I love my S8s as Ive said before in other threads, my dealer told me the difference between the s8 and s10 is the s8 has clearer voacals - highs and mids. A sub does bass work so set them to small on your reciever.
I dont have surrounds yet bc I cant afford em :-) Im buying my system piece by piece. I just bought the center channel, and now Im saving for my sub. But I will most likely go with the sfx or whatever theyre called bc they are a dedicated surround speaker and I believe they will make a big difference... But thats my opinion...
Good luck

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 23
I would not say the S2 is overkill for surrounds and if you can afford them and have the space I see nothing wrong with using them at all. I have them as my mains as my room is pretty small and I use the S1 as my surrounds with the SCLR as center. Paired with my Elite45 it's a wonderful system. I applaud your choice of the Monitor's and you will find there is no wrong combination with these speakers. The combination of the Marantz with Monitor's is absolutely great and you will enjoy this system for many years. Good choices.

Post Number: 5
Elitefan:
Thanks! I must say it was your's and Hawk's input that swayed me towards the Monitor Audios. I've definitely decided on MAs. Now I have to decide if I should get the S8 or the S6. I'm pretty sure I want the S1 for surrounds. Thanks for your help.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 29
Larry,
One thing you should know, if you don't already, is that the Monitor's have a break in period of 60 hours or so before they sound their true best. At first they might seem a bit bright or harsh but that goes away and they really shine. The SCLR is a fabulous center speaker and the main speaker that really sold me on the MA's. Let me know how you like them after you have them for a while. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us