New Marantz 7400-Which Speakers?

Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 1
My girfriend just bought me the best early-christmas gift ever: a Marantz 7400. She couldn't listen to me yap about it anymore, and bought it for me. Now I need speakers, from reading the past posts on this forum for the last couple days, I think I've narrowed it down to a great selection that would match the 7400 very well:

Monitor Audio(Silver or Bronze series)
Mordaunt-Short(Avant 900 or 900 series)
Mission (m70i or 78 series)

The thing is I live in a town with very few hi-fi stores except for Best Buy and Circuit City and none carry these brands. The best they carry are B&W and Paradigm and JMLab(maybe a couple other great speakers, but I want the best possible match for this reciever and the above mentioned seem to be it based on deduction.) Now, I know that everybody will say "Go Listen!" but that would be difficult since I would have to drive five hours to Atlanta to hear the Mordaunt-Shorts and the Monitor Audios or take a trans-Atlantic flight to hear the Missions(at least until Mission USA starts distributing in January.) I'd like to hear everybody's advice...especially your's Hawk.

Username: Michaelslb

Post Number: 2
Larry,

To my understanding, both the Missions and the
Mordaunt-Short's are a great match for your
receiver. This is what I have heard from owners
of these speaker/receiver combo's.

However, I believe the Mission's would be a bit
better match-up than the Mordaunt-Short's.

Hope that helps!

Michael

P.S. I've got the Marantz SR6300 (soon to be
upgraded to the 7400) paired up with a set of
Dahlquists and it sounds fantastic! Enjoy :-)

Username: Dtimps

Post Number: 6
I bought the SR7400 with the DV6400 (all Marantz) and paired them with the B&W 705's and a Definitive Technology SuperCube II and a pair of Def Tech bipolar surrounds and could not be happier with the set up. The 705's are AMAZING for detail but lack bass (because the 705's are a "bookshelf" speaker style) - the SuperCube II fixed that immediately. I was not sure of the "blending" of the different manufacturers but I feel I got the best of both worlds; clarity of mids and highs with the B&W and the warmth and unbelievable lows of the Def Tech line. I would highly recommend.

Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 2
Good stuff! Like i said, I do like B&Ws and DefTechs and could get them around here. I've been leaning towards Mission because my mother still has the same pair of speakers from about 1977 and they still sound incredible. I will consider these and any other suggestions. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us