Need serious help

Username: Dtimps

Post Number: 2
I am torn between the Definitive Technology PM700 (with built in 250 watt subs) as fronts and the Def. Tech. 2300 center (with 250 watt sub) OR the new B&W 705's for the fronts with the matching center (HTM 7). opinions would definitely help!! I am using Def Tech BP2X for surrounds. I have the Marantz DV6400 and the Marantz SR7400. I know that if I go with the B&W's I will also have to purchase a new sub to go with it and would lean VERY heavily in the direction of the Def Tech supercube II. HELP - Please

Username: Project6

Post Number: 3
Keep them all Definitive Technology, you seem to gravitate towards the Def Tech as would I, given the same situation. All you need is the push and the justification. I have listened to both speakers extensively and I like the sound of the Def Techs better than the B&W.
Have you auditioned them both???
cheers

Post Number: 4
I have listened to them both. I liked the definition that you get from the B&W but they almost seem a little too "high". and only being a "bookshelf" seem to lack bass - this would be fixed easy enough with a sub (which I would definitely need in the long run but couldn't afford for about 6-8 months). The time delay would be fine as all of this equiptment is going in my basement and that project won't be done for 6-8 months. The Def Techs are more forgiving with a ton of base for a bookshelf but don't have the mid and high detail. Yet the Def Tech still has a very "full" sound to me. I think that they both sound excellant and that is why I am torn. I could make an argument easily for both pairs. The other factor is this: The Def Techs came in damaged. When the shop where I bought them opened up new ones, they too were damaged. These damages ranged from "missing finish on the top and bottom caps" all the way to "woofer dislodged". The rep ordered new ones - we went through 3 more factory sealed boxes and all three of the Def Tech 700's were damaged to some extent - the worst one have a woofer that had been completely destroyed (looked like it had been cut with a knife or sharp object) - not from us opening them because I was there when we opened them. Shook my confidence in Def Tech severely - if all these screw ups on the stuff you could see, what about INSIDE the cabinets?? The dumbest one I saw was on the surround speakers - the hanging bracket was installed upside down!!! The dealer is willing to give me the B&W's (valued at $500 more per pair) for the same as what I already paid. That is where it gets really tempting. Thank you for your response. Does anyone else have some opinion on these brand of speakers?? I feel you can never have too many opinions.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 11
Wow, that's a heck of a dilemma if you ask me. All things being equal I would go all Def Tech but since they can't seem to come in without being damaged that changed things a bit. I wouldn't blame Def Tech for this yet. I work around lots of freight and freight lines and see lots of damaged merchandise due to the carelessness on the part of the shippers. If I was in your situation I would have already had at least one nervous breakdown so I can imagine you are pretty po'd by now. I guess I would give Def Tech one more chance and see what happens. Sonically I think the Def Tech's are a better match with your Marantz 7400. By the way, how do you like the 7400 so far?

Post Number: 5
If I had speakers to play through the 7400 I would love to let you know!! LOL

Username: Project6

Post Number: 4
whoah, I didn't realize that you had no speakers to play with while looking for new ones. Maybe the speaker deities are trying to tell you something?!? LOL "go with the B&W....go with the B&W" hey, after all it is the right price, so I myself would go for it if nothing else, the value is better.
cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us