Upgrading to 7.1 and need recommendation on two front speakers

Username: Brim30

Post Number: 1
Hello! I have been following the threads here for a few weeks and would like to get some suggestions from the group. I recently upgraded my Pioneer VSX-608D (5.1, 100Wx5) receiver to a Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX (7.1, 100Wx7), so I could make the move to 7.1 sound. I am using the JBL SCS150SI that I bought at the beginning of this year and have been pleased with it for the most part.

When I first decided to make the switch to 7.1, I thought that I might just see if I could order another pair of the satellites for the SCS150SI. Before I got to far in seeing if I could find them I began to think about replacing my front satellites with some floor standing speakers and moving the front satellites to the rear surround positions.

My reading on this subject tells me that matching the speakers to ensure that sound pans well is the key here. To this end I have pretty much confined myself to looking at the JBL Northridge line, although I might purchase different speakers if something else might match better. I am setting a budget of about $350 for the pair.

I am currently looking at both the JBL ND38II and the ND310II. JBL also has the E60 - E100 line, but they seem to be the newer models and not the place to look for bargains.

I mostly use this setup for movies (about 90%), but I do like listening to acoustic music and I love hearing crisp clean sound from the plucking of a guitar string.

As an unrelated side, I am also thinking about getting the Pioneer Elite DV-45A and finally making the move to DVD-Audio. I have seen this unit for around $350 and would consider any other units in its price range.

Thanks!

Username: Edison

Post Number: 11
http://www.vertigoonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AMB S667

Axioms will give you the clearity you want for guitars - better than JBL.

You have to go with an upper model JBL to get quality like this.

Unregistered guest
I got the new Pioneer DVD-Audio/SACD/progressive scan player that is at Best Buy fro $179. The instructions are not the best and the quality of the remote is so so, but it's a great deal and it tracks the Sub sound better than the DV-45A (so I have heard). Anyway it is cheaper and sounds flat out sweet. Pick up one or all of these SACD's: Dark Side of Moon, Fleetwood Mac: Rumors(DVD-Audio), Beck: Sea Change, and Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick road, also heard Machine Head by Deep Purple is good, but have not heard it. By the cheap one and up grade in a year or two as the prices drop and you build your collection.

Post Number: 2
Too late for the recommendation of the Axiom's although with pure titanium, 1" tweeters it looks like they match up pretty well against JBL's Studio line. I got a little impatient and bought the ND310II's and they should arrive on 12/22. I will let everyone know how well they mesh with the SCS150SI for anyone else that may be considering a similar move.

I have not purchased the DV-45a yet and I assume that DV-563A is the $179 player from Best Buy that you are referring to. I am all about saving money, but what is sacrificed by going from the DV-45A to the DV-563A?

I heard that the Fleetwood Mac DVD-A is awesome and that the Linkin Park was also good.

Anonymous

Nothing is scarificed going to the DV-563A. It is just newer model and with electronics, newer often equates to cheaper. It is alittle cheesy looking with the silver finish, and the decoder for the SACD is not direct. Supposedly you will get better SACD performace with a dedicated processor for that. I am sure that what you will be able to buy in one or two years will outperform either the DV-45 or the DV-563. I think I heard good things about the DV-47, but I believe there is a price difference there. If you want quality period. Buy Denon's dual player. Rumors is AWESOME. The harmonies on Gold Dust Woman is worth the price of 563. Also Yellow Brick Road.

Post Number: 3
*Groan*

I was really hoping to avoid silver components and stick with black, but I cannot find the DV-45A for less than $300 nor can I find the Denon DVD-2200 for less than $460. I can't ignore the price on that model.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us