Plexiglass speakers

Jerry
I went to the mall today to do some gift shopping, and I passed the Brookstone store. I have never seen this store anywhere else, but they must be a pretty big chain since everything in the store bears their name. It's like a yuppy gadget and small electronic store for the upper middle class. Anyway, they had on display in the front an all-in-one mini stereo/CD player for $195. What caught my eye was the speakers were clear plates of thin plexiglass. Maybe 5"x12" rectangle, if memory serves. They had plastic perimeters, and in the middle on the back of each panel was a small plastic case, which looked like it was the size to hold a small magnetic driver assembly, so I am assuming it was the motor structure for the panel. Intrigued, I stopped to give it a listen. I must say, for a small table top radio, those panels sounded very clear. They were playing old christmas songs, so it wasn't very taxing, and there wasn't any bass to be heard, all though there was a single 3" sub below the CD player, but the vocals, strings, piano, and horns were amazingly clean, crisp, and detailed. Very present, but not at all harsh. The levels between low, mid, and high frequencies were very even. No range of frequencies seemed to dominate the others. I must say I was in a noisy mall, not a padded room, so I couldn't give them a discernable test, but I liked the sound enough to wonder if any other manufacturer has done another take on these plexiglass panels and tried to make them a high end speaker. I'd be interested in hearing them. Anybody know of such a beast?

Username: Edison

Post Number: 13
Might want to post on ww.audioasylum.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us