Magnipan MMG vs. MG1.6 sound quality

Mark
Hawk,
wonderful to know your still among the living dead. Very much look forward to your eloquent and generous postings. Being the neophyte I am, you knowledge has led me well. Now the proud owner of a NAD 762 Receiver and a pair of MMG speakers. If you'd be so kind, I have a few questions.

1) What are the differences in sound quality between the MMG's and the MG1.6's?

2) I'd like to assemble a nice "surround sound" package incorporating Maggies (MMG's or 1.6's). For a Center channel, is there an alternative to the MGCC3 of comparable value (different brand maybe) will match the magnipan mains, with a lesser price tag? If the synergistic quality is significantly better with the CC3, I'd be happy to purchase it. Just curious if, from a price point, there might be something equivalent?

3) And finally, what would you recommend for the surround speakers.

I've never posted anything on any board for any reason. Aside from the advice I solicit, I'd be remissed not to thank you for the volumes of advice you unselfishly offer.

Mark

Railbait
Mark,

Hi, how do you like the MMGs with the T762? I just bought a T762 and will be trying the MMGs in a few weeks.

Like you, I bought the NAD in part because of this board's recommendation. I listened to H/K, Marantz and Rotel also. (I have a Yamaha and had an Onkyo). The rotel was very nice but too expensive. I wanted to make sure I got a receiver that could power the MMGs. I have JBL mains and polk surrounds and they sound real good with it. (Much better than the Yamaha and better than the Onkyo). I am excited about trying the MMGs.

Mark
Hey Railbait

Glad to hear you like the T762. I do too. The MMG's are great with my jazz and blues collections. Haven't really tested them with much else. Not sure if they're forward enough for rock music. As I'm sure you've read, they're great for Classical, Jazz, Blues, vocal intensive music, etc. I also find them wonderful for HT purposes. Believe I read on Magnipan's website, in the FAQ section something about hearing more, or what seem to be latent sounds on lesser HT surround systems.

I must admit, the way my speakers are situated are far from ideal. Quite certain I could give you a more educated opinion under better circumstances. I most definitely can hear the potential though. Sometimes as I walk around the room, I'll hear sounds that seem so clear, I could swear there's someone in my house.

Mark

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 1
Mark:

Sorry I haven't been around to answer your post. With the holidays, my "Honey, do . . " list has been rather long! And thank you for the kind words--I enjoy helping any way I can.

I haven't spent a lot of time with the 1.6s, largely because they are out of my price range. I have spent a little time with them, enough to know that they have a little more bottom end extension than the MMGs. There may be other differences that I could discern if I had them side by side, but the only difference that I noticed was that the 1.6s probably go down to about 35 Hz (-3 db) as opposed to the MMGs, which have a - 3 db point at 50 Hz (still as good or better than most bookshelfs).

Saw something really cool earlier this evening--the Maggie complementary speakers for the MMGs are apparently out. I saw a review from Soundstage, I think, which gave them an Editor's Choice award. Here is a link to the review:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/magnepan_mmgw_mmgc.htm

The reviewer thought that the MMG Ws ($299/pair) looked and sounded an awful lot like the MGMC1s ($750/pair), and in looking at the description of the MMG C speaker, it looks to me like the older MG CC2, which used to cost about $1K. It is also $299. It looks like an incredible deal, and one that I will have to have for myself, if I can convince my wife that she can live with those flat panels (she wants Bose, or something similarly small).

I would suggest a pair of MMGs, an MMG C center speaker, and and pair of MMG Ws for the rear. Add a Hsu VTF-2 subwoofer, and you will have an incredible system 5.1 system for $1600 and a perfect match for the T762.

Username: Mjc2

Post Number: 1
Thanks so much again, Hawk. I called Magnipan yesterday after reading your message. They must be pretty busy with the newest promotion because I haven't yet heard back. If I can garner any information, I'll be sure to pass it along. Again, thank you for everything

Mark

Username: Railbait

Post Number: 2
Good find, Hawk. I am very interested in these speakers. In fact, my wife and I were talking about trying the other wall hanging maggies (MGMC1) or the MMG. She likes the fold out of view aspect. The only thing that bothers me is the following, "frequency response (100Hz-16kHz)". The MMG and the MGMC1 have frequency response range of 50-24 and 80-24 respectively. I am concerned about the high end, as I already have a sub to handle the low end.

I am very tempted to try these as fronts with the center also.

How much is lost from 16kHz to 24kHz? Since I am older, I believe I would not hear the difference.

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 40
Railbait:

I have been looking at a lot of different surround speakers and I have been quite shocked to learn that many of them do not even go as high as 10Khz. For example, check out the description of these B+W surrounds speakers:

http://www.listenup.com/servlet/UpdateEngine/?FUELAP_SITEDBID=SITE%5F%2D66&FUELA P_OP=FUELOP_NewScreen&PAGE_ID=LUPAGE%5F60134&DP_ID=LISTENUP%5FDP%5F818653&FUELAP _TEMPLATENAME=lu%5Fproduct&

I am not sure why, but I am lead to believe that the extension to the true high frequencies (above 10Khz) are not important in a surround speaker as it is really only meant for special effects, and perhaps a little dialogue. If that is true, then the 16Khz top end of the Maggies is more than enough. Now, whether they are enough when used as fronts, I think you would have to try them and see. I just don't know. You are certainly correct that as we age, we hear less HF. Still, if you do try these as fronts, you will have to have a sub involved to cover the low end.

I will tell you that I returned a pair of MMGs last July (I am still regretting that one) and Magnepan was very nice about it. They did ask why I was returning them and I said I had a problem with the Wife Acceptance Factor. The woman on the other end just laughed and said she understood, and promptly gave me an RMA number. So if you want to try them, I think you could easily return them if they weren't right for you.

Good luck!

Username: Railbait

Post Number: 5
I just got off the phone with Magnepan. I am now on the waiting list for a pair of the MMG-W and an MMG-C. They haven't started production yet as they are awaiting some tooling. Looks like late January/early February before production starts. Going to be hard to wait. :-)

They said they were taken a bit by surprise by the article. I guess it was a little earlier than expected. It seems like they've generated quite a bit of interest also.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us