400 to spend on speakers

Username: Bluerex

California

Post Number: 1
Ive got 400 to blow some bookshlef or floorstanding speakers and was looking for some recomendations on what speakers to buy.

Ive been loooking at the JBL E50's and have heard them in person and though they sounded pretty good. Also i checked out the Axiom M22ti after hearing good thinsg about them. Just would liek to know what otehr spearkes would be worth checking out within this price range.

Bronze Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 42
AXIOMS but if you like lots of bass, I would suggest a sub with them. They really have wonderful sound and incredible mid-range.

Bronze Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 72
B&W DM601, Acoustic Energy AEGIS EVO 1 are a couple of well crafted British offerings. Both right at your budget limit.

Bronze Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 83
Totem Dreamcatchers - $400

Epos ELS3

Axiom M3ti se (more bass than the M2s but not quite as accurate)

Ascend Acoustics has one that is in that class - I forget the number.

Also possibly the Swan Diva or the nOrh 4.0

see: http://www.cheaphometheater.com/Speaker%20Shootout.htm though some people don't think much of CHT reviews. Search at the top for other reviews available through ecoustics.

California

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the help guys. I checked out All of those speakers and was probably most impressed with the DM 601's. Also the Axioms still look great. I guess the main difference between the two is the DM's are more bassy and the Axioms excel more in Mid Range?

I cheked out the DM 602's too, and read a lot of great reviews on them. Do you think it would be worth saving up for those or will the Axiom's or 601's preform just as well? The MK 1500's are also about the same price as the 602's, what are your guys thoughts on those speakers? Right now ive got a pair of MK SX-7's in my room and im assuming most of these speakers mentioned above will outpreform these?

Thanks for your help

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 84
Seems the B&W 601s are not great speakers but respectable, the 602s sound great. The Axioms sound great in the reviews - I just got some M3s so am giving them a listen. I think I have pretty "uneducated ears."

One of the reviews I read:

"I briefly compared the two models head to head. I was surprised to discover just how different the smaller DM601s sounded: distinctly less bright, distinctly "narrower" through the vocal octaves, and noticeably boxier in the upper-bass / lower-midrange region. Though the DM601 S3 is still a good-sounding speaker, I definitely preferred the larger model on its overall tonal merits, not just bass performance."

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 85
Oh, but as you said - the DM601s do have an astounding amount of bass - that is true. down to 30hz I believe!!!

Bronze Member

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 74
"Seems the B&W 601s are not great speakers but respectable"

Well at 400.00 you are only going to get respectable speakers. I have never heard "great" 400.00 speakers.
Personally I liked the sound of the 601's over the the 602's. The 602's were a little boomy in the bass region. Honestly you really can't go wrong with either model. The axiom line is a little bright sounding for my taste.

Bronze Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 87
Thanks Stone

I should have explained better - I have never heard any B&W speakers, and have read only two reviews. My post was more of a question than a statement.

California

Post Number: 3
Alright thanks for the new info, im definately either gonna go with the 22's or the 601's. Seems liek the only place to order these is from their own company website. Do u gusy know of any places to get them online?

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 507
www.vertigoonline.com has better prices on axiom.

http://www.vertigoonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

You might want to consider www.ascendacoustics.com cbm-170.

It got great reviews as well - probably even better than what you are looking at.

Bronze Member

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 78
Brian not sure if you know this, but you can't buy Bowers and Wilkens online.

California

Post Number: 4
Yeah i figured that out after using their dealer locator. There are a few stores near me that carry their products but i think im gonna get the Axiom 22's anyways. Ive read a ton of good reviews and they look like very high quality speakers for the money. Also to get a fuller sound, i can get a sub later on taht way ill have something to look forward to :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us