Speakers click when record player arm resets, earth problems

Unregistered guest
I recently bought an old Marantz turntable, which works fine, but I'm having one problem with it. Whenever the arm resets at the end of playing a side, a loud (very loud!) click comes out of my speakers as the power to the record player shuts down and the record stops spinning. This might be something to do with sound, but I've also noticed a power surge on my TV (which is connected to the same power point) when this happens too. The guy at the record shop says it needs to be earthed properly, but I've found that it's actually not quite so bad when it's not earthed (I have an earth wire coming out of the turn table, and an earth nozzle thing on my amp), but still kind of unbearable. It was also suggested that I try jamming the earth into the white cable going into the amp, but that has no effect either.

Was wondering if you guys know or could give me some advice on the reason for the loud clicking sound as the power shuts off, and how to fix it?

Is it related to the earth, and is the earth even necessary as there doesn't seem to be a difference in quality of sound whether it's earthed or not...?

box
Unregistered guest
i have the same problem
i'm using 2 turntables and a mixer hooked up to 2 powered monitors
every like 5-10 minutes a get a loud CLICK
my turntables are grounded and everything
i can't record anything cuz the clicks mess it up

lemon
Unregistered guest
I have an earth wire coming out of the mains wire and there is a hum coming from the speakers when I turn the record player on. How do I earth my record player?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4809

Connect it to a cabinet screw on the back or side of your receever.

MCHR
Unregistered guest
I have an old Fisher turntable .... not fancy but it did the job. Problem is, the last time we moved it (years ago) it developed a problem. Everything works mechanically but the turntable makes a clicking sound as it turns and seems to be sticking a bit at the same time it does that. Doesn't make for very good listening. Any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4922

What is the drive system? Belt, direct or rim drive? What does "sticking" mean? Does it sound as if the speed is varying? Have you pulled the platter off to take a look underneath? Are you competent to try that?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us