Focal JMLab - Sonic character?

Bronze Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 53
Hi!

How do you classify the Focal JMLab Sonic character next for instance to Monitor Audio speakers?

Thanks in advance!

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1150
FALP i can't give you a comparison but i have
listened to the newer Focal JMLab's

and i love the sonics they produce.

but just couldn't justufy the price. "for myself"
but i thought they were incredable.

I listened to 5 different models and liked them all.

don't remember what models though. it was about 6
months ago.

Bronze Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 17
JMLab is a great speaker and I almost bought them along with the Cobalt Sub! After listening to a set of M60 AXIOMS a friend of mine just bought, I changed my mind! The JM's are much brighter and weeker in the bass region (Chorus series) but none the less a great speaker. It is just that I like a diverse range in music that could go from Josh Groben to Metallica and the JMLab's do not like harsher music as well as the AXIOMS did! Also, the Cobalt Sub was 1595$(canadian) vs. 700$ for my HSU and the HSU blows it away easily!

AXIOM really surprsed the heck out of me for the price and they can go REALLY loud without straining. The only negative aspect I noticed was that they hate poorly recorded CD's.......but then agian, so do I!

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 475
I've only heard the new Chorus S series and it was very nice. They're neutral, very lifelike and transparent. It's hard not to like them with a good warm sounding amp. Also the build quality is better than most. I've never even seen a MA speaker so cant compare them.

Bronze Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 55
How about Canton?

Never heard them but i can get a good price...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
I heard them once and they sounded very good but nothing in detail to give you information.

Spock of Vulcan
Unregistered guest
Can you audition the speakers at all? I had the chance to A/B my JMLab (original) Choruses against a number of other speakers before I settled on them. The JMLabs had the airiest treble without harshness or hardness of all the speakers I listened to. This is coupled with a quite nice warm quality. As I said though, it would be good if you had the option to try them out yourself in your space with your partnering gear and tunes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
I loved the JMLabs but absolutely ADORED the AXIOMS. For my ears, they were the JMLabs and more! Midrange is way better and they respond better to different types of music whereas the JMLabs seem to be more a classical music speaker since they have such incredible highs. To each his own.

Duke
Unregistered guest
I find the Electra series to be very even. Meaning not overpowering in one area or another. I have heard mostly the Electra line and that line is very good. Nothing is over done. They sound very pleasing to me. Not harsh or beaming. I have the 927be 901 center and the SW900 sub. More money but I think they are worth it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
I agree........The Electra is WAAAAAAAAAAY more money than I wanted to pay! Don't agree on your sub as I know there are better out there (HSU and SVS) that cost much less. My dealer even agrees here as he says JMLab is a main speaker company that was forced into making subs only recently and have not really spent much tme on getting them right.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us