Audio Rack for HK 7200

A/V Rack for HK7200?
Unregistered guest
after much deliberation and advice from many of you on this message board, i just purchased the HK 7200. the problem i face now is where to place the enormous thing!

with the receiver measuring 20.5" deep and 17.5" wide, i'll need an a/v rack no doubt, but can't even find one that big on line. the largest ones run only 19" - 20" deep.

if anyone has any leads on places that sell large a/v racks, please do share. better yet, if you have the HK 7200, i'd like to hear about your set up. (the receiver would be by far the biggest and heaviest of my components, which will total 4 in all).

thanks in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Omegagen

Post Number: 12
I have the "Maxim" edition rack from Circuit City. My 7200 fits just fine, as long as you put it on the top rack. The top rack has a higher weight capacity than the other 3, I think it can hold up to 65lbs. Not only is this rack functional it looks great!

It was on their website, but I just checked and it's not there. I purchased mine from the store, maybe your local store will have it.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 270
Unregistered: yeah, that's the problem with that 20" deep beast! I have the AVR-525 which is close to (if not) 17" deep. I have my on a Salamander Systems Archetype 5.0 rack on the top shelf. (http://www.salamanderdesigns.com)

As Joe wrote, you'll need a good sturdy rack. I'm not sure if I would put it inside an enclosed rack unless it has great ventilation.

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 42
I had a similar problem with my HK receiver and it's depth in the entertainment center. My wife redecorated the room and bought this massive oak entertainment center. The shelf was plenty wide but only 20 inches deep. I ended up cutting (very carefully) a rectangle out of the back of the stand about 19wide x 7high (of course politically done when the wife was *not* home).

In order to ensure that it was stable on the shelf, I used 2 inch pieces of sticky sided velcro on the 4 feet so that it would stay on the shelf. It is easily moved when needed.

I have to keep the heavy wood door open when using the HK, but it vents perfectly out the back and only gets warm, not hot.

Hope that helps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 274
Shan Tao: is your's an AVR-7200? That's a beast. If only I waited another 2 months, I could've got teh AVR-7200 for < $1,000.00. I would have liked the extra power.

Good move keeping the door open when using the H/K... the spouse factor considered, I think you've done well with blending your AV receiver into the decor.

Scott C
Unregistered guest
Bear in mind that the 20.5" is overall, measured from the front of the volume knob to the end of the connectors on the back panel. Also, the rear feet are several inches inboard from the end of the case.
As long as you have room for the receiver case to hang over the back of the shelf, an 18" deep shelf is plenty. My 7200 is on an 18(deep)x24"(wide) shelf and it is more than adequate. It was necessary to extend the back panel of my equipment rack to allow for the overhang and interconnect cables.
Just be sure that whatever you buy is rated for 60# or better. I have an adjustable steel shelf support system with custom cut shelves built in flush with the wall. The shelf supports are rated at 80# each. Since all support comes from the brackets screwed to the rear wall, I fudged a little on the shelf that supports the 7200. I screwed a small plastic support into the side wall on each side at the front edge of that shelf.

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
Scott C: what are you doing for ventilation? YOu have a custom install right?

Scott C
Unregistered guest
See my post in this thread for info on my ventilation setup and a link to the fan I have on order:https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/75936.html

Scott C
Unregistered guest
Geekboy:
Yes, I built an entertainment center into the wall when I finished my den. In addition to the shelves described above, I cut a Wiremold plug strip into the left wall so that it fits flush with the shelves and gives an outlet at each shelf. In the other side, I built a channel between two 2x4's with a hole drilled through to each shelf to route interconnect cables and conceal some of the tangle. Kind of tight getting everything in there, but it looks a lot better with most of the cables out of sight.
My rack also has a removeable rear center section to simplify connections. The den is paneled and I made the section between two of the studs removeable without being visible from the front side.
Before I built this and had the shelves cut, I went around and measured about every component I could imagine to be sure that the shelves would be big enough. Of course, I had never seen a 7200 before, so I was still somewhat unprepared.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us