Ventiliation for a HK AVR7200

HKFAN
Unregistered guest
Hi just a quick question. I have a HK AVR 7200 and it's in a rack that only gives it about an inch clearance on top but is open on the sides, front and back. I have not had any problems, but the HK gets quite warm and so does the top of the rack. My question is will this cause the HK to breakdown prematurely or will it have no impact? Should I move the HK to the top shelf?
I am running a velodyne spl1000ii and mission m5 speakers all a way around. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I have had it this way for about 9 months with no problems.

Thanks

HK 7200 fan
Unregistered guest
Sorry I can't answer any of your questions, but I would like to know what you think about your HK 7200 if you don't mind. I've read a lot of good things on this message board (principally from one person who appears to be in love with it). I'm thinking of purchasing it over the Onkyo 801 and Denon 2805. I'd love to hear your thoughts on sound quality, power, etc. I'd be running JBL Studios (the fear is that the speakers would be "too weak" or poor to be able to appreciate the HK).

Many thanks

HKFAN
Unregistered guest
Hey HK7200 fan, I have had it over a year now. I work for a company that sells denon, yamaha, marantz and sony es. I have heard them all and they are all good brands, but for sheer sound quality and power I prefer the HK's that we don't sell. Denon is nice, but I find the sound a little brighter than I like. It depends on your preferences, I like warm, smooth and powerful sounding equipment. I would buy the HK over again in a heartbeat.

Hope this helps.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 271
HKFAN, while I have the AVR-525 (less power), I understand your concern. I had considered moving my H/K AVR-525 from the top of my Salamander Systems Archetype 5.0 rack and moving it to where my Kenwood KRV-990D is sitting now (about 2 shelves down).

Nope... after considering the heat and everything else... I've decided to leave it on top. I am moving my home theater, anyway, to my 580sq ft bonus room (upstairs). At that time, I'll look at rack posiitioning again, but by that time, I'll probably have dedicated amps for each of my channels.

Hope you're having fun with your 7200.

HKFAN
Unregistered guest
Hey Geekboy, thanks for the reply. I did end up putting the beast on the top shelf. It definitely runs cooler now and I feel a little more at ease. The HK 525 is a very sweet receiver in it's own right. I happened to get a great deal from HK directly since I am in the industry in canada here so I couldn't pass it up on the 7200. I am always having fun with it.

Cheers
HKFAN

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
HKFAN: very good deal. Of course I'm just dreaming about having separates. I've been talking about it for years. :-) I just never seem to be able to fund it. My upstairs room is a mess and full of computers anyhow. I have so many projects I want to do, but just don't seem to find the time to do them. (Things to do: re-wire house with CAT 5e, move home theater to upstairs room, feed the cat, upgrade to separate emplifiers, get more computers...)

Scott C
Unregistered guest
I had my 7200 on a middle shelf with 4" clearance on top and 3" on each side. An industrial thermometer placed on top of the receiver maxed out at about 124 degrees. I removed the shelf above the receiver, increasing the clearance to 10". Temp dropped to 114 degrees max. I then moved the 7200 to the top shelf, now with 6" clearance, and cut a hole in the suspended ceiling panel above it (which separates the rack from the unfinished side of my basement). I installed an 80mm Silencer computer case fan (27 CFM, 20 DBA)over the receiver, drawing out through the ceiling tile. Temp dropped to 104 max. I currently have on order the 120mm version of this fan: http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/acoustifan.asp#AF120CT
I intend to run this with the speed dropping resistor and will place the remote thermistor over the 7200 so that fan will turn at low RPM until more cooling is required. Should be slightly more cooling with minimal, if any, increase in noise.
I am not sure whether these temps are the norm. I run 6 ohm Infinity mains, which may raise my temps. At any rate, if $30 for a fan can extend the useful life of an $850 piece of equipment, I will certainly consider it a very good investment. I might also add that the room temperature drops considerably when even the small fan is venting some of the heat.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1088
good stuff scott i run hk also and find that i like
the comfort of keeping mine cooler.

i have a rack that is open front and rear then i put
a large oscilating fan behind the rack "another room"
to where it blows cool basement air over the unit
mine barely even gets warm now.

HK 7200 fan
yes i think hk7200 over the Onkyo 801 and Denon 2805

hkfan i believe the heat can cause breakdown prematurely .

Silver Member

Post Number: 277
Kegger: interesting. I want to move my "theater" from my great room (family room, whatever they're calling it these days) to my bonus room (upstairs). Mainly, I'll have better lighting control, carpet (instead of tile) and a 9' celing instead of 11'6" ceilings. Plus I can do some other things upstairs.

One this is where I'm going to put the equipment "rack". It will definately not be near the screen and will be behind the seating area. So the back of your rack is in/faces another room???

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1090
geekboy.

"One this is where I'm going to put the equipment "rack". It will definately not be near the screen and will be behind the seating area. So the back of your rack is in/faces another room???

yes i built an entertainment center 15feet wide
and about 5 feet tall. i took half of by basement
and walled it off. for my theatre/audio room.
the front where the entertainment center is has a wall
that is 5 feet from the basement wall.
so there is a room behind the front five feet wide.
there are cutouts behind the equipment racks
to get at everything. they are open in the other room
so it makes it easy to change components or rewire etc.

I have seen people do similur with a closet "no door
and open on the back to the adjacent room"

can be very tricky for the "waf" but if done well
can look realy professional.

Bronze Member
Username: Omegagen

Post Number: 16
Sott

How do you wire the 120mm fan to plug into the wall? From the picture it only has harnesses for PC installation.

Thanks,

Joe

Scott C
Unregistered guest
Joe- It will require a 12 volt converter. I have a small power supply plugged into the switched outlet on the rear panel of the 7200 that feeds the fan whenever the receiver is powered up. It is easier to find a computer fan that is designed for quiet operation as opposed to most A.C. fans. The only downside is that I would prefer that the fan run for a while after the receiver is shut down to help cool the unit. I have not tried to work this out yet because I just settled on which fan to use.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us