Speaker advice - please be kind

Username: Tsl90

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 1
I am becoming interested in high end audio. I've done a bit of reading but am hoping someone can help me with some issues.

I am attempting to put together a home theater system. I have a rear projection HDTV I'm happy with. My next step is speakers and a receiver. My problem is integrating good audio with my wife's decorating tastes.

She's pushing for a system of 3" cubes we'll place around the room. I know that's really not what I want. I'm trying to make some compromises but am not sure what makes the most sense. One issue is the center channel speaker - my TV will let me use it's speaker as a center channel. I know this isn't acoustically the best thing but I'm thinking that's one less box my wife has to look at. How horrible is this?

My next issue is the front speakers. (I'm looking at the Infinity Primus and Beta lines to give you an idea) Floor standing speakers have been vetoed. Our entertainment center has convertable doors that allow you to place bookshelf speakers in the furniture. Again, I know this is a NO-NO in the world of fine audio - but are there things I can do (or particular speakers I can buy) that will minimize the effect this will have on my system.

Finially - as you might guess I'm trying to minimize the size of my rear channel speakers as well. Buying units that are placed in the wall makes sense to me. I know Infinity sells some - if I do this is it at all helpful to buy the same brand/line as my main speakers or with so many compromises at this point should I just get something from radioshack?

Thanks in advance.

TL

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Depending on the size of your room you might want to look at the Energy Take 5.1 and so forth systems. They have had great reviews and are usually within the WAF.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 528
Do not use the tv speakers as a center channel. If you do this you might as well do nothing. The center is by far the most important speaker in a HT system. The above poster has good suggestion regarding small systems. There are several like this and should be ok but I would insist on at least a good front three speakers if at all possibel. There are lots of good small speakers to be found like the Monitor Audio Silver 1 and 2 and their Bronze 1 and 2. Most good speaker manufacturers make good small models that will give you much better sound especially on music than the small packaged systems. Good luck.

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the advice. I'll give Energy Take 5.1 a look. Not to be too dense but - what's WAF?

TL

Jimvm
Unregistered guest
WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 39
I have heard and liked the sound of the Athena Technologies Micra 6 . They are small and probably will fit in your furniture and have a matching sub. They come in black or silver. I am pretty sure bestbuy has them if you want to have a listen.

Good luck.

epic
Unregistered guest
Orb Audio has some great small speakers...get the Mod2 for the front and the Mod1 for the rear.

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 3
WAF - I love it. I appreciate all the info. I'll try and give all these a look.

Thanks again.

Anonymous

My husband and I just bought a beautiful home, and in his excitement, bought floor standing speakers that are so huge I don't know where to put them. (We have a sectional, so it looks really lame to put the speakers between the wall and the sectional). We fight about this issue every day. The WAF on his speakers is a big fat zero. He tells me that he can't substitute the floor standing speakers with something smaller, or wall-mounted. Is this true?

Bronze Member
Username: Shank

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 21
Might as well chop of the source of his pride and through it out into the road.

Bronze Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 38
With today's technology, there really should be harmony in the speaker/room-husband/wife world. I bet there are smaller speakers out there that sound better than the behemoths. I recently bought a pair of smaller speakers that are of higher quality, and despite their size, sound much better (my fiance is happy - she likes the way they look).

Bronze Member
Username: Shank

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 22
I guess i'm lucky. My wife doesn't care. She also loves sci-fi and action movies and despises romantic comedies.

Username: U8myufo

Post Number: 9
Simple Answer here TPL
- Wife = Bigger speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Bruin62

Post Number: 11
this is a common problem wives!!!! lol
I had to buy my wife a new house just so i can build my home theater. and she has already started on i hate those big speakers so i just set it up while she is at work during the day now she just shakes her head an retreats to the bedroom to watch t.v I think she gave up
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us