Connecting passive sub to amp.

Username: Rezistance

Post Number: 3
I have a passive subwoofer and need to connect it to a home stereo amplifier. Now the problem is that it has only two channels taken up by the two front speakers. How on gods earth will i connect a subwoofer to the amp. Also, will i need to buy another sub to be used in conjunction with the first if i need to chain wire it?

please help.

Bronze Member
Username: Divinesin

Post Number: 20
If your amp only allows for the two front stereo speakers i dont believe you can connect the sub up to it as well. You will have to be another amp (you can probly buy a cheap one, it matters on the wattage/quality of the sub) and then connect that to an RCA input on your amplifier..IF it has one..if it doesnt i dont believe you can connect your sub to that amplifier.

Bronze Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 34
If the sub has speaker level inputs and outputs, wire the amplifier speaker outputs to the sub speaker level inputs and then wire the sub speaker level outputs to the main speakers.

If all you have on the sub is an RCA line level input, then you need a new amp to do anything.

Bronze Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 37
I wrote:

If all you have on the sub is an RCA line level input, then you need a new amp to do anything.

You won't have this anyway, since the subject line says that you have a passive sub. Does your sub have speaker outputs as I have described above? If so, you are in the clear.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us